Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 11:25   #25066
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Those who are from TVM will know that this particular road is the favorite for street racers, multiple lives have been lost in the past.

Mathrubhumi reports yesterday's accident was also a case of street racing.

Quote:
It is suspected that the accident occurred when two cars were indulged in racing. One of the overspeeding cars lost control and hit the auto parked on the roadside and then an electric post before overturning.
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...uram-1.2393623
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:19   #25067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyToDrive View Post
Caught this on my dashcam. The biker was driving ahead of me and skids over oil. He was wearing helmet which saved him. His head banged on the road but due to helmet he was saved.
Yesterday I was talking to my wife's brother who is an ortho surgeon at a local hospital which deals with a lot of accident cases, and he was saying that majority of bike accident cases are youngsters who have obtained head injuries due lack of a helmet. In fact he was feeling sad about a case which he was dealing with, an 18 year old who was hanging between life and death due to a serious head injury, sustained due lack of a helmet. I wonder when the youngsters will start to realise that wearing a helmet is a necessity.
sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:52   #25068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
A very bad crash in Kerala yesterday. It was new Octavia RS and the driver has passed away.
Attachment 1697153
That's a bad one. RIP the departed soul.

We always say RIP to the deceased, but I for one, feel almost as sad for the poor machine which was such an amazing and beautiful one, to have to succumb to the stupidity of a totally undeserving moron and bite the dust as a result. What was the fault of that brilliant work of art, just that it made it so easy to do insane speeds so wonderfully? So sad.
Old 17th November 2017, 17:09   #25069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
That's a bad one. RIP the departed soul.

We always say RIP to the deceased, but I for one, feel almost as sad for the poor machine which was such an amazing and beautiful one, to have to succumb to the stupidity of a totally undeserving moron and bite the dust as a result. What was the fault of that brilliant work of art, just that it made it so easy to do insane speeds so wonderfully? So sad.
Gone are the days when a car was more of an extension of the family than a machine to take you from place A to B. Its the use and throw culture along with disposable, easy money for some; they don't think about themselves, their cars or others before pressing the accelerator hard. Especially when there is huge adrenaline rush.

I also sometimes wonder, before gifting expensive toys to children do parents think about the danger associated with it ? Or is it the blind love and trust on your own child that makes you forget the basics ?
Old 17th November 2017, 20:32   #25070
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Is this RS? Hopefully all of them were wearing their seatbelts. Please do share more details, if you get any.
Again, may the departed RIP. News says the front passenger had seat belts on. Unfortunately, the driver didn't. Except the driver,all three passengers survived with minor injuries.

Also, the car was racing with another Merc and police can't trace the other car. Immediately after the incident, the ruling party's (CPM) home minister's son arrived at the spot and instructed police to delete all bystander's mobile footages. Add to that the fact that none of the traffic cams worked that night although the accident was right in front of Governors bungalow. Something fishy!

Last edited by Lambydude : 17th November 2017 at 20:42.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 21:33   #25071
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Also, the car was racing with another Merc and police can't trace the other car. Immediately after the incident, the ruling party's (CPM) home minister's son arrived at the spot and instructed police to delete all bystander's mobile footages. Add to that the fact that none of the traffic cams worked that night although the accident was right in front of Governors bungalow. Something fishy!
News reports say that Octavia RS was racing with a Swift Dzire

Quote:
The visuals clearly show that the cars were over speeding and were indulging in racing. It can be assumed from the visuals that the vehicles took only seconds to reach Manmohan Bungalow at Kowdiar, where the accident took place, from Vazhuthacaud. Even as the police say that it was not a case of racing and there is no information about the other car, the visuals show that the other car was a Swift Dzire.
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/mobil...-out-1.2393908
Old 17th November 2017, 21:54   #25072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
School bus collides with KSRTC bus on Kanakpura road /[/url]
Its a common sight to see school buses being driven recklessly.
Maybe its due to the monotonous nature of the job, driving on the same route around the same time day after day and the fact that children would not (would be powerless to) object to rash driving.

Its high time every school enforces strict guidelines to school bus drivers on due deligence while picking up, driving and dropping off children.
Tamperproof speed governors is a must atleast for all school buses.

Also the flimsy manner in which mini buses like Tempo/Force traveller etc (Mahindra school bus in case) is a real cause for concern. Any collision simply rips off the pillars, roof and sheet metal from these flimsy built LCV vehicles with grave threat to occupants. A proper reinforced frame that can hold up is a bare minimum standard that should be enforced.
We must as a nation overcome the lax attitude and failure to learn from mistakes.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th November 2017 at 21:55.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:06   #25073
Distinguished - BHPian

CCTV footage shows the speeding Octavia RS
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 03:40   #25074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyToDrive View Post
Caught this on my dashcam. The biker was driving ahead of me and skids over oil. He was wearing helmet which saved him. His head banged on the road but due to helmet he was saved.
Lucky guy! A helmet without a snug fit and a good strap is not going to help much if he is thrown off the bike. Here his head seems to be fortunate to have hung on to the helmet.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 15:14   #25075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
CCTV footage shows the speeding Octavia RS
There is definitely a light colour premium car behind the Octavia VRS with a dark roof. It's there in both the camera angles. It's sad to see such an awesome car reduced to a pile of metal within days after purchase.

Off topic, but the tyres need to run in some distance before they actually start to grip properly. This was told to me by the dealer when I switched over to Pirelli from stock GoodYear. If this is true then a brand new car will probably have a lesser level of grip than expected.
Old 18th November 2017, 15:57   #25076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Off topic, but the tyres need to run in some distance before they actually start to grip properly. This was told to me by the dealer when I switched over to Pirelli from stock GoodYear. If this is true ...
It is true. I learnt it from a car manual, and possible many of still mention it. It is no great distance, but tyres do need it. So do new brake parts.

But lets look at this another way. If anyone is seriously relying on the full grip of their tyres, or, similarly, on ABS, they are driving beyond sensible road limits anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 19:09   #25077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Off topic, but the tyres need to run in some distance before they actually start to grip properly. This was told to me by the dealer when I switched over to Pirelli from stock GoodYear. If this is true then a brand new car will probably have a lesser level of grip than expected.
Yes it is not only true for the tyres but also for the brakes.

Brand new brake pads will have lesser bit force and they need to run in to reach optimum performance. However, this run in period is significantly lower.
Old 20th November 2017, 09:45   #25078
BHPian

Just witnessed an accident right now in front of my apartment. A lady doing speeds of 40(she claimed) in a narrow lane lost her balance while braking hard and fell down. Right side of her scooter is badly damaged and she has some bruises on her hands and legs. She was not wearing a helmet. Though she had no head injury, a helmet would have always been better for protection.
Did not click photo of her scooter as I ran down for first aid and forgot my phone at home.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 12:51   #25079
BHPian

Seven young lives sniffed out in a car accident near Mehsana , about 70 kms from Ahmedabad . Two amongst the seven dead are real brothers , who had unfortunately lost their father a couple of months back . Seems to be a case of over speeding and probably DUI.

http://www.dnaindia.com/ahmedabad/re...family-2560808
Old 20th November 2017, 12:53   #25080
BHPian

Wonder how no one posted this here so far. Well not an accident but could have been one and that too involving one of the mega stars of the century.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/amitabh-b...es-off-1776368

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks