Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 00:17   #25126
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
or are there any other factors that can lead to the burst of a relatively good tyre?
Just a light brush of the sidewall at 60KMPH for few seconds and the tire will burst. I say this as It has happened with me way back in 2010 near Mehasana (GJ) when I was driving an Indica and the Auto suddenly jumped out of its lane to overtake another one that stopped.

A classic case as it may have been here too, the tire in all probability would have burst "during" the accident rather than the actual cause. A vehicle hitting the median itself is a good impact for the tire to burst and then jumping the median.

Interestingly - All accidents that media reports where cars jump median to the other side are a result of "burst tire".
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 00:56   #25127
BHPian

Quote:
or are there any other factors that can lead to the burst of a relatively good tyre?
Any sharp object which is strong enough to pierce the tyre (which in most cases is the gap in the tread) is good enough to create a burst.

In my case this happened to my Lineas front tyre.
Goodyear tyre, OEM, 1 year old with 11K
SCENARIO:
Good distance between truck ahead and my car.
Stone stuck in between the truck rear tyres (which was not visible), gets dislodged and is sent out like a missile to the left front tyre.
Car pulls to left and manage to get it off the shoulder with a loud thud to the engine belly pan saved the engine.
The stone was slightly bigger than my fist, sharp enough for Tom Hanks to break open coconuts.
had a 3 inch cut in the center of the tyre.

Unfortunate, but thats how accidents happen.

Lucky to have some area of the shoulder to get the car to.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 28th November 2017 at 00:57.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 08:08   #25128
BHPian

Ignorant 'Cab driver' vs Careless 'yo yo Chora'

Result: Vento turned upside down
Possible reason
: Vento overtaking fast from extreme left may have hit illegally parked or coming from wrong side cab
Location: Near Delhi, NH8, right opposite cyber hub at udhyog vihar exit
Time: About 7:30 AM, 28 Nov
Lesson: Left side lane is for slow moving vehicles. Just because everyone is going at 80 on the right side doesnt mean you have to go 100. Enjoy the fact that you are at least not stuck in traffic and be happy with 80 and follow the flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171128_073407.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171128_073429.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 28th November 2017 at 08:20.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 10:55   #25129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Interestingly - All accidents that media reports where cars jump median to the other side are a result of "burst tire".
I was kind of relating to that only.

Okay, so the tyre brushed against the divider, busted, and the cars jump the divider. Makes sense.

So basically, it is not the tyre burst that is actually causing the accidents in most cases. It is the poor driving skills that results in the car rubbing against the divider in a perfectly divided multi lane highways.
balenoed_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:06   #25130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Looks like a Civic from the rear, but a Huracan from the front!
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:40   #25131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Watering plants on the median divider is absolutely essential as it those very plants which block the incoming high beam headlights from the opposite lane. It also serves the beautification purpose as a side product. There can be discussions and suggestions on alternate means of watering plants without coming in the way of traffic flows. On a straight stretch of road if the speeding car is unable to see the tanker in front of it (at whatever speed it is moving), then I will not blame the babus for this.
There are technologies like drip irigation which can be used to water the plants in the median.

In case there are workers trimming the plants, the first of the warning cones should and are usually put at a point which starts well before a curve begins. many times the first of the cones are hit by vehicles, but the workers being a few 100 feet away are avoided. Though risky and un scientific, the contractor doing the trimming work is carefull.

Rahul
Old 28th November 2017, 11:43   #25132
BHPian

Tire burst is the most thrown around reason for crashes. The second one is "suspension broke on its own"! Like paragsachania said, most of the times, burst tires and broken suspension are result of vehicle going over the median or some other stuff it's not supposed to drive over. But it's the eyewitnesses who give out these conclusions, and who can say no to an eyewitness. They saw, a burst tire and/or broken suspension; even though observation was made after the mishap.

Something similar is speedo stuck at X kmph after a crash. What about all those crashes, where needle was stuck to zero?

There are genuine tire burst cases as well. Which could happen because of pushing a structurally unsound tire too far, or pushing a good tire beyond its limits. Or manufacturing defects, but these are kind of lost in all the other noise.

Condolences to the victims' families.
Old 28th November 2017, 11:48   #25133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Looks like a Civic from the rear, but a Huracan from the front!
Yeah.
But lambo's typically burn at the rear.
No offence to anybody.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-burninglambos.png  

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:20   #25134
BHPian

RIP the young soul.
One of the injured, KK Mishra lives in my society in pune and has been discharged from hospital and is recovering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Received the disturbing news of death of a colleague from Pune. A team was returning after a search operation in the wee hours when the office vehicle ( Tavera) banged the rear of a trailer at old Mumbai- Pune highway.

Reasons: -
1.The vehicle rear ended a truck.
2.Non functional underrun protection bar.
3. Accident prone time of the day(3 to 6 am).

A young soul paid the ultimate price for no fault of his.

Rest In Peace.
mayankverma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:50   #25135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... or are there any other factors that can lead to the burst of a relatively good tyre?
One important factor has not yet been mentioned here - under inflation. An under inflated tyre is at great risk of suffering a blowout.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:06   #25136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A classic case as it may have been here too, the tire in all probability would have burst "during" the accident rather than the actual cause. A vehicle hitting the median itself is a good impact for the tire to burst and then jumping the median.
Quote:
So basically, it is not the tyre burst that is actually causing the accidents in most cases. It is the poor driving skills that results in the car rubbing against the divider in a perfectly divided multi lane highways.
I agree, in many cases tyre burst is due to the accident and not the cause of the accident. One of my friends while driving at night slept for few seconds and his front right tyre rubbed against the median, resulting a tyre burst. He was driving around 80 kmph and without much damage he could regain control of the vehicle.
Old 28th November 2017, 16:07   #25137
BHPian

Finally I was one of the victim of the so called crushers/blasters around the Chikkaballapur. I was returning back to Bangalore from Ananthapur and around 6.00 PM just 3 Kms from Peresandra (Near Chikkaballapur).

I'm giving the pictorial review as to how this happened. One thing for sure is that family came unhurt and there were no casualties. The Tractor driver was drunk and he fled from the spot after the accident, initially he tried to flee the scene with the tractor but locals caught him and then they started beating him. I saved him with that also. Both the Airbags had opened. There was good support from locals, police and highway people.

Arranged a taxi to travel back with family and then yesterday I had finished the formalities as per the process and then took the vehicle from police station yesterday night.

Vehicle has taken quite a beating. Its not total loss case since there was no impact on the apron and engine, but the external body has taken the impact including the dashboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_180426.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_185751.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2017 at 16:58. Reason: Multiple typos
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (13) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th November 2017, 19:14   #25138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It will be a 140 kmph relative speed of impact in this case, however there will be transfer of momentum between the cars and each car will face (70Śmass of the other car). Assuming both cars are equally built, the lighter car will be at serious disadvantage and its occupants will face the maximum brunt from such a collision.
True. I didn't get into the technicalities. Was just talking about the relative speed of impact.
Old 29th November 2017, 07:54   #25139
BHPian

Found this article in TOI today.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

Last edited by ROG_AK : 29th November 2017 at 07:55.
ROG_AK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 08:46   #25140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Found this article in TOI today.
Online version: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61842341.cms

This has a table of absolute numbers and drop %. Would want to know how much of this drop is attributable to the approximately 5-month ban on sale of alcohol near national and state highways (April to August in most states). Would have been nice to see month-wise breakup.

There is the usual TOI touch too: "... followed by Odisha where such deaths have gone up by 50% - from 3,306 in 2016 to 3,495 this year". In what branch of mathematics does the rise from 3306 to 3495 become 50%?
binand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed