Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 17:43   #2506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
This attitude makes me sick to the stomach. What if that would have been someone amongst us? See when I drive, I remain alert, but I certainly do not expect a vehicle on the same side in the opp direction.
I guess all of us has to be extra careful about this as well.
Early mornings are full of drowsiness and refexes are not at their peak.
Worst is at the night time. When we see a pair of headlights from the opp side, we expect them to be those of a vehicle across the divider, and maintain our speeds. It is too late when one realizes the vehicle is coming on the same lane, but, in opposite direction.
To save a few minutes, people are prepared to risk their own lives and that of the passengers and the oncoming vehicles.

I don't know what kind of punsihment is given to such people
Some 10 years back a PMT driver (Gov buses Pune) killed a guy on a luna.
He was suspended. Since he was a friends relative, I came to know he was back to driving PMTs after 3-4 months. If this is the attitude, then these guys consider themselves 'covered' and might continue the same.
Are we in a tribal's era?? I am shocked . The innocents only have to pay all the cost. What the hell the police do?? Driving safe is our prime right, I wonder if something can be done by collective efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are reckless drivers all around, but speeding the wrong way at 80kmph is very common around bangalore, and also on the BLR chennai highway.
I have so many times taken evasive action when on a semi blind curve a private BLR Hosur bus comes in the fast lane at 80kmph.
The cops look the other way.
Up north its mostly tractors etc., and that too is pretty rare. Sometimes trucks do it, but they are mostly in the leftmost lane, with half the truck off the road.
I have never been to south highways (just been to HYD a couple of times and that too by air) and it is a shocking news for me. I am planing a trip from Jodhpur to Chennai on GQ route and I am really worried to learn about driving heavy vehicles in the opposite lane (that too in the fast lane).

My blood get hot, when I see this kind of other's life risking things. In North what worst I see is that the trucks are standing on the road (mostly half on the roads) due to break down or holt. In night when they do not have parking light or emergency lights ON ; they really become the real Yamdoot (devil). Whenever I see any such vehicle, I am used to stop there and shouting at the driver in a way a normal corp shout (my best friend is a corp so I am always confident doing it). I do have to spend 3-4 minutes there but I always try to put my efforts to make the road safer for others. I always have a feeling like, I have saved some lives .
Old 29th May 2009, 20:40   #2507
BHPian

Forget about highways, here in Hyderabad, it is common to see people drive against the traffic to reach a median instead of driving a longer distance to take a proper u-turn!
Old 30th May 2009, 18:09   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Tell the press

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Forget about highways, here in Hyderabad, it is common to see people drive against the traffic to reach a median instead of driving a longer distance to take a proper u-turn!
I think one solution to stopping this madness of wrong side driving is to give feedback to the TV channels. imagine video footage of a ST bus zooming in the wrong side. Or better still a visual of a accident caused by wrong side driving. This would increase awareness about this malise and maybe cops will do something. otherwise we can feel as bad as we want and nothing will happen. So I posted my feed back to NDTV » FEEDBACK so that they can do an rticle on this. I urge others on this forum to take it up with various TV stations esp those in regional languages (hopefully some of the drivers of the ghastly busses would see some of it)
regards,
GD
Old 31st May 2009, 17:10   #2509
Senior - BHPian

yet another pic that I received today on e-mail. Location was written somewhere in UP.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-weirda102.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-weirda103.jpg  

Old 31st May 2009, 19:11   #2510
BHPian

Holy cow! Looks like a scene straight from a movie
Old 31st May 2009, 19:17   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
yet another pic that I received today on e-mail. Location was written somewhere in UP.
In the name of holy mother, I still can not believe my eyes!! I hate to even imagine how this car would have flown off the road and hit the wall only to get dislodged in this manner.. Truly a missile like hit. Not only the passengers, but the residents of that house would have had a feeling (before and after the impact respectively) which only unfortunate few can ever experience.

Yet, I only hope this palio has been fixed there as some kind of advertising/marketing campaign and not met this fate in an accident!
Old 31st May 2009, 19:25   #2512
Team-BHP Support

Gives a whole new meaning to built like a tank.
Old 31st May 2009, 19:50   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to built like a tank.
Built like a tank, fly like a jet and crash like a missile
Old 31st May 2009, 19:57   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Built like a tank, fly like a jet and crash like a missile
Wow! In that case let's demo all these capabilities to the powers in South Block to have Palio inducted in the defence services

Anyway, coming back to the topic, the passenger compartment does not seem to have caved in. But considering the impact against the wall (despite it having a crumple zone of its own) coupled with lack of airbags, I am sure the chances of survival of front seat occupants would be highly improbable.

RIP

Last edited by AlokSriva : 31st May 2009 at 19:58.
Old 31st May 2009, 20:29   #2515
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Anyway, coming back to the topic, the passenger compartment does not seem to have caved in. But considering the impact against the wall (despite it having a crumple zone of its own) coupled with lack of airbags, I am sure the chances of survival of front seat occupants would be highly improbable.

RIP
Not sure about the car, but I am doubtful of any survivors inside the House!

So glad I'm on the top floor!
Old 31st May 2009, 22:14   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
So glad I'm on the top floor!
if 1.3 can torpedo the ground floor, 1.9 MJD can sure go a few notches above - unless you are on the top floor of a high rise

Sorry folks for the OT discussion but this thread has been glum all along, so thought of cheering up you guys a bit
Old 31st May 2009, 22:26   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I think one solution to stopping this madness of wrong side driving is to give feedback to the TV channels. imagine video footage of a ST bus zooming in the wrong side. Or better still a visual of a accident caused by wrong side driving.
GD
I will be happy if awareness can be brought in by this!

Wrong side driving on the NH7 from HYD-BLR is very common among the buses, lorries & the TATA Ace's!
Hope they learn the importance of life over few drops of petrol (or diesel) soon!
Old 31st May 2009, 23:22   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Saw this horrible scene today........
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01219.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01220.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01221.jpg  

Old 31st May 2009, 23:29   #2519
Senior - BHPian

@faithless 1984:

I am able to see some liquid coming from the car. That liquid is coming towards left side from the hood. Is it that the car had some leak in fuel lines ?

I am asking you about that liquid as I think you personally saw this incident.
Old 31st May 2009, 23:50   #2520
BHPian

in the morning i saw a chevy SRV fully busted open i.e total loss on express way, greater noida at 8 in the morning and then 2-3 km ahead santro busted open total loss again. i was in a hurry so couldnt click the pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks