Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 20:57   #25261
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
A road range incident reported in Rushlane, article says that video has resurfaced, so maybe posted before.

For those who dont know, this is Delhi-Gurgaon border, there is a major switch over at this spot, left side goes towards cyber city and right side continues towards the highway. The removal of toll booth has created a flawed design highway which suddenly becomes very wide and then narrow again.

Car's fault-
1) Car did not use indicators (because for many in India it costs money to use indicators) Indicators are not just for making full turn , they are also meant for changing lanes.
2) Tried to take left exit too late, should have kept left in advance. Many people dont queue and take exit at very last moment which is dangerous and also causes jams.

Bikes fault-
1) Tried to go between 2 cars in a zig zag manner
2) Was over speeding - means less time to react

Last edited by theMAG : 14th December 2017 at 05:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post in the best interests of readability.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 21:51   #25262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
1) Indicators are not just for making full turn , they are also meant for changing lanes.

2) Was over speeding
1) add to that, the i20has a dedicated feature for lane change where you just tap the stalk in the desired direction to indicate a lane change. Even that was not enough convenience for this ace driver. If you can call him a driver, that is.

2) No sir, you're wrong on the overspeeding part. That guy was Rossi, remember '46'? And when you're Rossi, the concept of overspeeding doesn't exist! There's no stopping you. And even your bike.

Last edited by pixantz : 13th December 2017 at 21:53.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 22:26   #25263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
1) add to that, the i20has a dedicated feature for lane change
It doesn't matter if it's a Hyundai.

Telling from personal experience, I play extra extra caution whenever there is a Hyundai near me on the road.

No offence meant to Hyundai owners, but most of the erratic drivers I encountered in my life have been in Hyundais. Looks like something with the driving dynamics of them.

They drive covering two lanes, they push the nose of my car imminently after overtaking, they drive at speed which doesn't match with rest of the traffic. they apply sudden brakes, they avoid indicators, they keep side mirrors closed while driving, they don't give side easily.

Yeah, such drivers are found in other cars as well, but if I have to pick by car brand with highest ratio of such drivers, I will point out Hyundai without any second thought.

Sorry again, but thats what I have experienced so far.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 22:34   #25264
BHPian

What a funny accident is this ! The driver should be driving an automatic vehicle for first time considering it as a manual :-D.

Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 10:51   #25265
BHPian

Quote:
A road range incident reported in Rushlane, article says that video has resurfaced, so maybe posted before.
I doubt whether the i20 driver even noticed the bike. If you see the video, the i20 was cutting across multiple lanes and he was moving out of the shadow of another car, just before he hit the bike. I don't think he was paying any attention to the mirrors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Telling from personal experience, I play extra extra caution whenever there is a Hyundai near me on the road.
No offence meant to Hyundai owners, but most of the erratic drivers I encountered in my life have been in Hyundais. Looks like something with the driving dynamics of them.
You are entitled to your opinion, but please don't typecast based on brand. Brand or driving dynamics does not make bad drivers. How many auto-rickshaws are driven sanely on the road? Do you attribute this behavior to the auto's driving dynamics or the driver driving it? How many taxis? What about Tempo Travellers? You never say bad Dzire or bad TT, right? For me, I see erratically driven vehicles across all brands and all categories and Maruti tops it in cars, simply because of their 50% market share. In a country like ours, where the number of qualified and sane drivers is a minority, the rule of statistics rule
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 11:18   #25266
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's a Hyundai.

Sorry again, but thats what I have experienced so far.
Personally, to me this does not even makes sense. Let's say I am a bad driver because I own Hyundai, one fine day I decide to be a good driver and sell Hyundai and buy Skoda and become a good driver or vice versa.

Our cars do not decide if we are a good driver or bad, we do.
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 11:32   #25267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
....2) No sir .. That guy was Rossi, remember '46'? And when you're Rossi, the concept of overspeeding doesn't exist! There's no stopping you. And even your bike...
Cannot AGREE MORE. "Instant Karma", isn't it!!!
The "Rossi" got the treatment that he deserved, what was the look for at the start of the VDO, while overtaking another biker. Was it an invitation (read - Challenge) :- "Catch me if you can". Not Even Properly geared, for such races. Thanks for wearing Helmet, though.

The guy who shot this VDO from the Helmet Cam, is unbelievably generous. However, I still don't get the point of chasing a bike, without a rider. Odo reads 70KMpH, when he reached close to the runaway bike. Isn't this more dangerous?
How would have he managed to stop it anyways? Really kind of him to have chased & at least got the bike back on stands, once crashed.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 14th December 2017 at 11:37.
Old 14th December 2017, 12:21   #25268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
The guy who shot this VDO from the Helmet Cam, is unbelievably generous. However, I still don't get the point of chasing a bike, without a rider. Odo reads 70KMpH, when he reached close to the runaway bike. Isn't this more dangerous?
It did not look like he/ she was trying to stop or control the crash. Maybe only trying to ensure visibility of such a bike to other drivers, or even try to alert passersby in case the bike veered towards the left. I did not check the audio, if there was any sort of honking to alert other drivers.

It is also possible that his first reaction was to get the Hyundai to stop. Then to avoid an altercation, he/ she would have changed his/ her mind. Looks like the car driver could be arrested for a hit and run incident. Especially as the video shows that the car changed lanes without considering the path of the biker, and did not stop to help after the biker fell.

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th December 2017 at 12:22.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 13:33   #25269
NH7
BHPian

Electricity board transformer and trolley left on the road, eventually rear ended by an i20. Happened at Trimulgherry, Secunderabad at 7.30am. While it was an unsafe condition and an accident waiting to happen, the driver failed to register the obstacle/ react in time. Front left damaged considerably, but fortunately no serious injuries. The transformer was connected up and live at the time! Impact caused the trolley, which wasn't even chocked, to roll by about 5-7 feet and then be restrained by the connected lines. Thank God they held! Note how the trolley is abutting the road. There were no reflectors, cones, warnings or any other such measures over the last 40 odd hours preceding the incident, I'm told.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513237904575.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513238144093.jpg  

Old 14th December 2017, 13:37   #25270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
However, I still don't get the point of chasing a bike, without a rider. Odo reads 70KMpH, when he reached close to the runaway bike. Isn't this more dangerous?
How would have he managed to stop it anyways? Really kind of him to have chased & at least got the bike back on stands, once crashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It did not look like he/ she was trying to stop or control the crash. Maybe only trying to ensure visibility of such a bike to other drivers, or even try to alert passersby in case the bike veered towards the left. I did not check the audio, if there was any sort of honking to alert other drivers.

It is also possible that his first reaction was to get the Hyundai to stop. Then to avoid an altercation, he/ she would have changed his/ her mind. Looks like the car driver could be arrested for a hit and run incident. Especially as the video shows that the car changed lanes without considering the path of the biker, and did not stop to help after the biker fell.
Got this from a friend, bhpian James.

"I think he did that to knock the bike down before it hit anyone else. Bikers always do that as an unwritten rule. If the cars around the biker don't slow down and create a barricade against the cars coming from the back, we will usually stop and help get the biker to safety first.
If he bike kept going in a straight line and not towards the divider, he would probably give it a light kick to topple it."
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:29   #25271
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Brand or driving dynamics does not make bad drivers. How many auto-rickshaws are driven sanely on the road? Do you attribute this behavior to the auto's driving dynamics or the driver driving it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Personally, to me this does not even makes sense. Let's say I am a bad driver because I own Hyundai, one fine day I decide to be a good driver and sell Hyundai and buy Skoda and become a good driver or vice versa.

Our cars do not decide if we are a good driver or bad, we do.
Though 'AX350XWB' and 'EngineRoars' are right to a large extent here, I think 'tbppjpr' also is onto something here (though obviously not possible with all the Korean brand drivers), and if you look at it the other way 'round than what you two later guys reasoned, it may also be a kind of statistic that a particular type of driver is always likely to gravitate to a particular brand. It's perfectly possible and a reality, if you give it some thought.

One example that comes to mind is the "Orange Riders" or KTM folk. Now you know that only a particular driver with a particular riding attitude is going to buy a KTM for "that" type of riding. A Harley rider, or say, a sports cruiser type of rider is not going to go for a KTM. (disclaimer:I'm not stating that as a rule). So you know what to expect when you're sharing the road with, or are in the vicinity, of the KTM machine. It's just an example but I hope you folks got the drift about what I'm originally trying to explain/suggest.

P. S. _ KTM guys, don't cry foul, I ride like you guys too. Kind of...

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2017 at 13:16. Reason: Reducing space between quotes
Old 14th December 2017, 16:05   #25272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
Electricity board transformer and trolley left on the road, eventually rear ended by an i20. Happened at Trimulgherry, Secunderabad at 7.30am. While it was an unsafe condition and an accident waiting to happen, the driver failed to register the obstacle/ react in time. Front left damaged considerably, but fortunately no serious injuries. The transformer was connected up and live at the time! Impact caused the trolley, which wasn't even chocked, to roll by about 5-7 feet and then be restrained by the connected lines. Thank God they held! Note how the trolley is abutting the road. There were no reflectors, cones, warnings or any other such measures over the last 40 odd hours preceding the incident, I'm told.
So... a bike might have been left like this, sticking out into the road. He should carry cones, etc? Car drivers should keep "parking lights" on all night? (in my dad's day, in unlit rural England, despite lesser batteries and dynamos of the day they did)

Stuff gets left on the side of the road. If we hit it, it is almost always our fault.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 18:50   #25273
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a lane change at a horribly designed highway gone horribly wrong due to a terribly driven bike by someone who is not even dressed for the occasion. Initially the camera bike is doing 130+ speeds, "Rossi" must be doing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
while we debate and discuss the Baleno vs Dio accident, here is a picture of a similar accident that happened a few hours ago, near Bharathnagar, west Bangalore.
Indeed the Polo has taken the impact well, which also seems to be a higher speed impact. But at the same time due to the lights popping out the Baleno does appear to be in better shape overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
Electricity board transformer and trolley left on the road, eventually rear ended by an i20. Happened at Trimulgherry, Secunderabad at 7.30am.
This happens everywhere. At no time the driver is absolved of the responsibility of looking at obstacles in front of him. The transformer looks like a stop gap arrangement to supply power to a residential or commercial block. Agree that reflective cones would have helped but the first car would have hit and removed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
What a funny accident is this ! The driver should be driving an automatic vehicle for first time considering it as a manual :-D.
And the First time Auto / Manual changeover award goes to this chap. Whether manual or auto, its best to get some idea of the vehicle before punching the pedal no matter how much experience one might have.

Quote:
All cars do not drive the same. Some definitely provide a better sense of the road and its own extremes than others. I have 3 and each has its own driving style. Figo Petrol is best driven as an absolute hooligan, the handling encourages it, driving it slow is painful as there is very little power and torque. Fusion has enough power to be driven in a relaxed manner but its a terrible car to navigate a narrow spot, hence you naturally go slower. Yeti is the most relaxed to drive thanks to the torque, and its easier to fit into smaller spaces thanks to the boxy shape.

Overall, it's got nothing to do with the brand but just the car.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 05:05   #25274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Saw an accident near metro construction site before ITPB, Whitefield today noon at around 12.30 PM. This is a sample image to show the pillar structure(Iron rods).
That looks like a BEST bus to me and Bangalore ricks are not yellow and black.
Old 15th December 2017, 05:42   #25275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That looks like a BEST bus to me and Bangalore ricks are not yellow and black.
The message says that it is a representative image taken from Google.
swissknife is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed