Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 16:51   #25291
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

That was a scary incident. However, I can't help but notice that speed wasn't reduced when there was a clearly defined intersection. Also, the speed as indicated is high. As part of driving on Indian highways, it is best to always expect that someone will be carelessly crossing through the intersection. In such cases, lifting off the throttle while approaching intersections and getting down to manageable speeds is always helpful in avoiding such accidents.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 17:03   #25292
Senior - BHPian

135kmph, no slowing for intersection despite proper indication, even the dog was crossing only via the intersection and not jumping from dividers.You are lucky that it was a dog and not a human.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 17:13   #25293
BHPian

Sorry, due to oversight the video was set on private. I have made them public now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Sorry to hear this. Is it a dog it? The attached Youtube video is not opening, looks like you have kept is as private.
Yes the speed indicted on dash cam was correct and corroborated with my vehicle speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Sorry for going OT - I know Viofo 119's GPS doesn't work great. But the speed shown in the video, is it 135 km/hr?
Old 19th December 2017, 17:19   #25294
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Talking about dog hit (and speeds), this had happened 2 months back at around 40-60 KMPH if I can recollect.

And the Damage?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170925-13.01.23.jpg

Few incidents are completely unavoidable and you are only lucky that it's just a dog and not something like this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170415-21.14.12.jpg

More on that in this post.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th December 2017 at 17:21.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 17:22   #25295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
135kmph is the first thing that i noticed in that video. That is because, i keep doing Bangalore-chitradurga- Harihar stretch almost every month (already 76,000 km on the odo of my three years old ertiga) and sometimes twice a month while going to my hometown. I always stick to 100-110kmph mark since anything below that is too slow for that stretch and anything above that is too dangerous for that stretch.

I feel 100-110 kmph speed in your case would have probably avoided it comfortably. I am telling this from numerous experiences of mine where I have avoided dogs, monkeys, cats and what not.
If a dog darts on to the road at 90 degrees to the road, there is a good chance you won't be able to avoid collision even if you are doing 100 ~ 110. It all depends on how soon or how late you spot the moving animal. If its too late, its too late. There is nothing one can do except brace for impact. Braking hard or swerving is an instinct which is best avoided.

In this particular case, the driver after completing an overtake was rightly moving to the left lane. I think he simply failed to spot the moving animal. He had about a couple of seconds after spotting the animal to react. Looking at the speedo I think there was no reaction from him at all right upto impact.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 17:55   #25296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If a dog darts on to the road at 90 degrees to the road, there is a good chance you won't be able to avoid collision even if you are doing 100 ~ 110. It all depends on how soon or how late you spot the moving animal. If its too late, its too late. There is nothing one can do except brace for impact. Braking hard or swerving is an instinct which is best avoided.

In this particular case, the driver after completing an overtake was rightly moving to the left lane. I think he simply failed to spot the moving animal. He had about a couple of seconds after spotting the animal to react. Looking at the speedo I think there was no reaction from him at all right upto impact.
Looks like you completely missed the last sentence of my post. I have mentioned that I have avoided many such collisions on that stretch. The point here is, that section of the road is too straight with less or no plants on the divider. Hence the visibility is good (during daytime). So 100kmph combined with good anticipatory skills can be safe on that particular stretch.

Well I am not generalizing it and hence it doesnt apply to all roads in India. I am restricting my discussion to that particular stretch only since I have driven extensively on that stretch within safe speed limits.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 18:07   #25297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
While returning from Hubli yesterday and after crossing Davangere, this happens. .
What I saw here was a little mis-judgement from your side.
You aimed for the dog running across.
RULE: Animals dont change directions suddenly unlike humans.
Hope it helps, in future.

Sorry to see the damage.
Old 19th December 2017, 18:19   #25298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
You aimed for the dog running across.
It is easily evident that one could hardly avoid that. I don't see any reason why he will aim at the dog. The dog runs across at 90 degrees while the speed of the Crysta is above 100 KMPH. Changing the lane by moving from slow to fast also may have not really helped considering

- Speed of the car
- Speed of the dog running at 90 degress
- Width of the car and how sooner the dog will run across the complete width to avoid a collision

I can easily see that this was way too difficult to avoid and swerving in any other direction than the line of path of the Crysta would have not really helped much due to lack of time. Plus, the reaction time was less to even anticipate the next move from the dog or your own course of action.

Quote:
Dogs easily do. I have noticed this many times. They can suddenly stop in and start running in the opposite direction. Usually happens when they are in packs or being chased by some other pack.

Its usually the cattle that remains unchallenged and will never start walking backwards or change direction and are easily more predictable unless again they are a herd and they get into some actions right there.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th December 2017 at 18:24.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 19:24   #25299
Senior - BHPian

I think the angle we (dashcam) are seeing the road and the angle at which the driver is seeing the road are slightly different and may contribute to the late spotting (or no spotting) of the dog.
arjithin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 21:41   #25300
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Delhi Metro Magenta line trial accident.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/delh...st-run-1789709

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 19th December 2017 at 21:43.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 22:02   #25301
ike
BHPian

I hit a dog on coimbatore L&T bypass road while driving to Chennai from Thrissur. I was lucky to have just a bent number plate and no other damage. My speeds were much less too and thankfully the dog got up and ran away.
Old 19th December 2017, 22:22   #25302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
.. the speed read a constant 135 kmph till you braked? That is quite high for our highways.

Yes it is a dog....
Not intending to specifically point at this incident, it always baffles me when acquaintances regularly mention that they drive at 120+/130!/140!!/150!!! kmph on our highways.

Given the abundant power in current gen vehicles, it can easily reach and maintain the above speeds.

The problem is: what if someone ( bird/dog/cattle/pedestrian/cyclist/any vehicle) decides to suddenly cross the road and come in the vehicles path?

With minimum average braking distance at 107/124/141/160 meters at 120/130/140/150 kmph( link to calculate braking distance), it is impossible to stop the vehicle unless say for example at 135kmph, the dog was noticed atleast 135 meters away.

The dog crossed much before the 135 meters minimum distance needed at 135kmph and absolutely nothing could have be done to prevent the hit.
Now if the dog is replaced by anything else crossing suddenly, the result could be even more serious, the only solution would be to cruise at much lower speeds where there is more control over the ability to stop if the situation demands as it is often the case on our highways.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th December 2017 at 22:32.
for_cars1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 22:42   #25303
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
While returning from Hubli yesterday and after crossing Davangere, this happens.

Attachment 1707675

Sorry to see this but these things are common on our highway. Good thing is you didn't take evasive action which could have resulted into a catastrophic outcome. Your Innova I guess is the top model which has ESP.

I saw a similar incident only involving a small kid crossing the road. The difference being my Aunt took action to save the child who luckily escaped but the old gen Innova clipped the divider lost control, jumped the median, hit a wagon R and landed upside down in a ditch 20 feet deep. I was driving in front of her in a 5 car convoy at Baroda. Every one walked away except the wagon R driver who was in hospital for 2 months. Difference being all Innova occupants were belted and the wagon R driver was not.

Two things to take away, EPS could have limited the damage and unless its a human or a big cattle do not swerve. You did good only thing you can learn is to restrain speeds to around 100 kmph.

Last edited by tazmaan : 19th December 2017 at 22:44.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:27   #25304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Don't think this is a rule. I had a similar incident on Bangalore Mysore road. It was early morning and I was doing 80-90 kmph. Two dogs decided to cross the road from the left and started off. I was on the fast lane and the dogs were on the median and as soon as I was close, one of the dogs decided to jump back, right on to my path. Could not do anything, held the steering firmly and took the foot off the accelerator (was at around 70 kmph). As it was the XUV, there was no damage to the car. But the dog was not so fortunate. There are other instances also where I've seen animals showing erratic behaviour. Cows, goats etc change direction suddenly. So, be careful when you spot an animal and don't anticipate it to hold the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Two things to take away, EPS could have limited the damage and unless its a human or a big cattle do not swerve.
EPS is electronic power steering, right? Or did you mean ESP or ABS?
Old 20th December 2017, 09:31   #25305
BHPian

At intersections on highways I always reduce my speed from 90 km/h to 60km/h and I start using the horn liberally. I don't mind slowing down @ intersection and let other cars overtake me. I regain my speed in no time. Also I believe in honking liberally whenever I spot a suspicious cut in divider where bikers can cross and @ minor/major intersections/village limits.

I have noticed that animals and other careless pedestrians do respond to the sound of honk and they become more cautious most of the time. Slowing down and honking can neutralize such a dangerous situation to some extent in my view.
Storm2.0 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed