Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 13:44   #25441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
The high court held that motorists should wear helmets as prescribed under rule 230 of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Rules. The court stated that a helmet should have ISI number (IS 4151:1993) mentioned on it.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...wears-isi.html
Does that mean if I am wearing one of the highest rated helmets which obviously comes without ISI mark and I meet with an accident, insurance will be denied to me?
Old 10th January 2018, 15:23   #25442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Does that mean if I am wearing one of the highest rated helmets which obviously comes without ISI mark and I meet with an accident, insurance will be denied to me?

Not sure if imported helmets need to go through with the ISI certification process. Maybe now these importers will figure out a way to get them certified.

The below link has the Karnataka Motor Vehicle rules.

http://transport.karnataka.gov.in/up...evised_M_V.pdf
Old 10th January 2018, 15:33   #25443
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
The answer could be Yes and No. Yes, if the insurance company is able to push their case using the current case as a 'case law' to reject the claim. No, if the court is convinced about the quality of the helmet in question, possibly using related safety specifications of the product.

But the rules are very clear:
Quote:
Section 129: It is mandatory to wear a helmet of ISI standard while riding a motor cycle in public place. However, the State Government can make rules as it may think fit. There are decided cases in the Courts that any act aimed at doing good is not violative of any fundamental right.
However, in court, it is all about how the the parties are able to convince the judge about their side of argument, with supporting documents and evidence.
Old 10th January 2018, 16:04   #25444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
However, in court, it is all about how the the parties are able to convince the judge about their side of argument, with supporting documents and evidence.
Yes, in case of a helmet without ISI mark, it becomes the responsibility of the victim to prove that the helmet in question has safety features equivalent to or exceeding the parameters mandated by ISI certification. In case of an imported product, they might even have to prove the genuineness of the product before proving its effectiveness. Insurance company would have a more comfortable position in such cases in my opinion.
Old 10th January 2018, 16:33   #25445
Senior - BHPian

This judgement could very well turnout to be a landmark judgement for the insurance companies.

So what next?, if the car is not serviced as per schedule and you had an accident due to brake failure, Insurance may be denied?

If an accident was caused by a tyre burst? Do we need to prove that the correct/recommended pressures were maintained ?

Just thinking aloud.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 17:51   #25446
Senior - BHPian

ecenandu is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 19:51   #25447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Nice ad by Maruti. Stressing the importance of seat belts.
BHPian Leoshashi had posted about it few months back in this thread though.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2018 at 23:52. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 06:31   #25448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So what next?, if the car is not serviced as per schedule and you had an accident due to brake failure, Insurance may be denied?

If an accident was caused by a tyre burst? Do we need to prove that the correct/recommended pressures were maintained ?
Both of the above are currently true, specially if it's a total loss of car. Insurance & Warranty may be denied if the car's tyres did not match the specifications provided by the manufacturer at the time of the accident. If the car is not serviced at regular interval, the same holds true as well. If the car burns down and there were aftermarket stereos / parking sensors fitted, yes, insurance may be denied. It's there in the fine print for most of them mostly termed as modifications.
Old 11th January 2018, 08:48   #25449
BHPian

Saw an accident on NICE road, a few minutes before. A fully laden truck has overturned, just after the Bannerghatta road junction, going towards Hosur road. The truck was going towards Hosur side, veered off into the culvert in the middle road and turned turtle, lying on the other side of the road. The front axle has sheared off and when I passed the place, dust had still not settled. Then I realized there was an ambulance that I came across, going towards the city in Gottigere. No more details known.

Last edited by A350XWB : 11th January 2018 at 08:50.
Old 11th January 2018, 10:23   #25450
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
The car also performed per its design vis-a-vis the crumple zones and superior build.

https://www.cartoq.com/video-volkswa...ality-matters/
I don't think anyone commented on your post because they didn't see the picture (always a good idea to include a pic in your post).

Holy damn . Now, that is one heck of a car.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volkswagenventosandwichfeatured.jpg
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:37   #25451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think anyone commented on your post because they didn't see the picture (always a good idea to include a pic in your post).
Have always wondered if the crumple zones would be well designed for rear ending incidents, since organizations like NCAP don't test those situations.

VW truly shows why they are one of the best manufacturers when it comes to safe cars.

Second time such a nightmarish situation is reported in team bhp. Can't get much worse than getting sandwiched between two heavy goods vehicles on our highways.

Last edited by ampere : 11th January 2018 at 13:40. Reason: Crumple, not crumble
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:38   #25452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Holy damn . Now, that is one heck of a car.
I have come to really understand and appreciate why the Germans really harp about their build quality.

I have been shuffling between my bro's I20 and a friends Baleno from about 10 days now. For me, any vehicle I drive/ride is an extension of myself, and is my second nature to keep it clean. So I ensure I at least wipe (if not wash) the cars.
The roof of both Baleno and I20 literally feels like a thin aluminium sheet in comparison to my GT's!! Even the hood, the boot, everything feels really flimsy in comparison.

My biggest gripe however, is the After Sales Support. ONLY if VW's A.S.S was half as good as Hyundai's or Maruti's !!
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 11:56   #25453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now, that is one heck of a car.
Oh wow! Initially I thought it was a Polo; it took the hit pretty well. Albeit all the reliability and A.S.S concerns, this is where Germans really show the merit!
Old 11th January 2018, 12:00   #25454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh wow! Initially I thought it was a Polo; it took the hit pretty well. Albeit all the reliability and A.S.S concerns, this is where Germans really show the merit!
If it really was a Polo in that place, even the thought gave me shudders!
Old 11th January 2018, 14:14   #25455
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

Accident on Western Express Highway in Mumbai, aarey colony bridge towards Andheri.
When will people learn to keep safe distance between two cars, we are not Flash or Superman to have super quick reflexes.

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed