Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 14:23   #25456
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
If it really was a Polo in that place, even the thought gave me shudders!
I might be wrong here, but hatchbacks and heavily reinforced, passengers would have survived even if it was a polo.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:15   #25457
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if everyone saw what I saw in the Vento accident picture. The rear end has taken a brutal hit and the Vento has turned in to a Polo, almost. If you look closely the rear back rest has almost come, halfway to the front. There was no casualties because there was no rear passangers, I suppose.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th January 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Typo corrected as requested. Thanks!
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:41   #25458
Senior - BHPian

Bad parenting.

ecenandu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:52   #25459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Attachment 1715217

Accident on Western Express Highway in Mumbai, aarey colony bridge towards Andheri.
When will people learn to keep safe distance between two cars, we are not Flash or Superman to have super quick reflexes.

[]
I am more surprised by the amount of tint on the first car of the picture!! How is the Police allowing it in Mumbai. I have no hopes for Pune on this regards. I have seen tints on the windshield as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Bad parenting. []
Any information, where did the car eventually stopped?? And any further damages resulting due to a driverless car running freely on the road.

Initially I skipped the VDO for few seconds & skipped the part where the younger child went into the home. Thank God for that. Not sure what else could have happened if he was around.

regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 11th January 2018 at 19:01.
Old 11th January 2018, 19:52   #25460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

Any information, where did the car eventually stopped?? And any further damages resulting due to a driverless car running freely on the road.

regards,
Saurabh
Not that far, if you watch closely.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180111-6.59.17-pm.png
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 04:05   #25461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I might be wrong here, but hatchbacks and heavily reinforced, passengers would have survived even if it was a polo.
I will base this on a comparison between Linea and my BIL's Baleno.

The Fiat Linea (Emotion) has a tough 3mm thick panel which forms part of the rear seat support and parcel tray which gels it's way to complete the boot housing the spare wheel.
The metal thickness is reduced in the boot area.

Baleno has a parcel tray which is probably cardboard or thermocol reinforced and does not seem capable to withstand any major force impact. What is left is the rear side metal panels which are water thin.

I cannot comment on VW Punto Golf or even Punto, not checked.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:09   #25462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad parenting.
And lack of common sense and taking basic precautions. The parking spot and driveway are on a direct sloping line. Owner should have provided wheel chocks and permanently insisted on them being pushed under the wheel(s) each and every time.

I used to make fun of my elderly chauffeur when I was growing up as he used to do the same on any slope. He always used to gently smile back and say that he trusted the bricks more than the handbrake or gearbox.

The family is supremely lucky that the younger child went inside just prior, the boy did not get crushed by the door + pillar or dragged under the vehicle, and no one smashed into the vehicle outside!
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:43   #25463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post

Baleno has a parcel tray which is probably cardboard or thermocol reinforced and does not seem capable to withstand any major force impact. What is left is the rear side metal panels which are water thin.
I don't understand if you are saying that a parcel tray should withstand force? It would take people's heads off.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:52   #25464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad parenting.
Even if it was manned with a skilled driver, it would not have reversed so perfectly through the gates and to the road so quickly. It even steered by itself to align to the road as if it is used to it instead of going further behind. If the door was closed it was a perfect driving.
balenoed_ is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:54   #25465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It even steered by itself to align to the road as if it is used to it instead of going further behind. If the door was closed it was a perfect driving.
I guess the steering wheel would have been left in the same position as when the car entered. So it just returned the same way
If the door was closed, that would not be a driverless car; the kid would have stayed inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The family is supremely lucky that the younger child went inside just prior, the boy did not get crushed by the door + pillar or dragged under the vehicle, and no one smashed into the vehicle outside!
And also extremely fortunate that the driver door got entangled with the pillar while the vehicle was rolling out. If that would not have happened the kid would have been hit by the closing door and probably dragged under the front wheel. Also that could have reduced the reversing speed momentarily by a wee bit allowing the kid to jump out safely.
Another point; it doesnt seem that the car was parked till the very end of the available parking space in the front. Or the slope starts immediately after the parking area. Maybe they used a smaller car earlier

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th January 2018 at 09:56.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:54   #25466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Even if it was manned with a skilled driver, it would not have reversed so perfectly through the gates and to the road so quickly. It even steered by itself to align to the road as if it is used to it instead of going further behind. If the door was closed it was a perfect driving.
Almost true, however the door had a lot of role to play in the steering bit. Probably like braking the inner wheels to force steer to the right of the car . Nevertheless, ridiculous parenting example.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:18   #25467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad parenting.
Wonder why the door was not locked?! With kids around, its strictly advised to keep the doors locked and keep the keys away from them. Some times, kids enter the car and play with the pedals which will make the brakes harder to press, this can end up in a dangerous situation as well.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:28   #25468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
And lack of common sense and taking basic precautions. The parking spot and driveway are on a direct sloping line. Owner should have provided wheel chocks and permanently insisted on them being pushed under the wheel(s) each and every time.

I used to make fun of my elderly chauffeur when I was growing up as he used to do the same on any slope. He always used to gently smile back and say that he trusted the bricks more than the handbrake or gearbox.

True, in addition, when parking on a slope, they could have engaged the forward gear maybe? That would have prevented this roll out right?
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:13   #25469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
True, in addition, when parking on a slope, they could have engaged the forward gear maybe? That would have prevented this roll out right?
Engaging the park brake and/or gear can only help only if they remain engaged. In the video, the bigger kid obviously fiddled with the controls, causing the vehicle to roll backwards.

The only fail-safe method is to use chocks on multiple wheels, when there's a chance that the gear and park brake can be disengaged by kids.

However, a little common sense would go a long way in preventing such incidents.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:05   #25470
BHPian

Quote:
Bad parenting.
I have few questions:-

1) Can we claim insurance in these kind of accidents?(driver-less accidents)
2) If so, What will be the driver's name to put on that claim form? (not talking about owner's name)
3) Had it been a fatal case, who would have become guilty, legally? (Bad parenting I agreed, but can anyone sue him/her/them for it?).
4) Father or Mother? (or both!?), based on the facts, how far it is easy to punish him/her/them legally?
5) Will the property damage be covered under third party liability clause?

If the case is not covered, then under which clause? is it this clause will play the role? "Not taking proper care"

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th January 2018 at 14:11. Reason: Removing note to mods. It's better you 'Report Post' rather than leaving a note in your post. Thanks.
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed