Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 18:51   #25591
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
We also will not help a victim, ..... many things to be ashamed of as Indians collectively and this is one of the leading nasty traits.

...PS: I keep reading that this indifference is because of our reluctance to get entangled with the police ... we are like that only - as a humorist would say. Laws have nothing to do with it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post

They wanted us to be the witness of the accident. .... said they will get in touch with the HR, who will for force me to go and be the witness.... I was scared. I was nervous. ... it will definitely stop me the third or the fourth time.
Taking selfies and videos of victims is the most insensitive and inhuman behavior, no doubt. However there is a real risk perception among people that helping victims can get them into trouble and they may face harassment, this prevents most people from offering help.
For eg: in case of a train accident, help pours out almost spontaneously by the bystanders and victims get medical attention quickly because helpers have no fear of being blamed, dragged into problems or facing harassment later.

So circumstances and threat perceptions define public behavior to offer help or stay away. Hopefully the attitude should change with the new laws protecting helpers, but it will take time to sink in among the masses.

Even in 'developed' countries, its not the bystanders/public who stop and help, rather it is the emergency services that is well enabled to arrive and provide quick first aid/treatment during the initial cruicial period to victims.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 29th January 2018 at 18:53.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 18:56   #25592
Senior - BHPian

I agree that as a country we are reaching for Mars and also going downhill in many opposite directions, at the same time.

We have police that refused to take an accident victim to the hospital in their Bolero, because his blood would stain the seats of the car. And it wasn't even their personal property, the car. Shocking isn't the word for this.

Aadhar says we are all citizens, but there is no understanding at all among Indians of the obligations and duties of a citizen to fellow citizens. Me, and then my family. And for cleanliness, my home. Everyone and everything else can go to the dogs. As with corruption, we lead the world in those countries that have abysmal civic sense as well, if such a survey was to be taken.

PS: I agree with the observation about train accidents - is it that civic sense towards fellow humans in better present outside our cities?

Last edited by aah78 : 31st January 2018 at 18:18. Reason: PS. EDIT: Removed comment
Sawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 19:19   #25593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Even in 'developed' countries, its not the bystanders/public who stop and help, rather it is the emergency services that is well enabled to arrive and provide quick first aid/treatment during the initial cruicial period to victims.
Spot on. I do not think the general public, leave alone India or abroad, are qualified to provide first aid or help. The initial period after an accident is the most crucial. And in India, the initial response team or emergency services are abysmally slow or non-existent. We can and blame everything and everybody for this; which includes, bad roads, bad traffic etc. But the fact is that we as a nation, do not have any empathy left towards another living being.

I happened to be driving from Mysore to Hyderabad this weekend and there was a small traffic jam on the Mysore - Bangalore highway. At the same time, an ambulance was trying to weave itself through the traffic on the wrong side. As soon as a car moved to the side to make way for the ambulance, an autorickshaw took up the space, instead of allowing the ambulance to pass through.

And then the best (or worst) part, the ambulance was empty. Not sure if the ambulance was going to pick up a patient, but it sure was empty.

So who do we have to blame here? The traffic, the car who gave way, the auto or the ambulance? Thankfully, the traffic was not that bad and cleared up within 2 mins. But those 2 mins could be a matter of life and death.

We definitely need to improve the emergency services, especially the initial response team, responsible for attending to the calls in the event of an accident. Till the time this is not done, there will be people who will try to help and make matters worse, and there will be people who will not help in fear of the law and after effects of trying to help someone who has met with an accident.
get2bid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 20:55   #25594
Senior - BHPian

Saw this video being shared on the twitter handle of DCP east. This is another bike accident (overspeeding) hitting a mini truck merging onto the right most lane on the BETL directly without any indicator. Two wrongs never make a right, do they!

https://twitter.com/DCPTrEastBCP/sta...45955008970752
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 22:25   #25595
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
PS: I agree with the observation about train accidents - is it that civic sense towards fellow humans in better present outside our cities?
Half the people who come to "help" in train accidents are there to steal. I have direct evidence, not hearsay.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 22:26   #25596
BHPian

Experienced this while riding on my way to Maddur yesterday. Not enough gap maintained between the bike and the Sumo and also the sudden swerve by the Sumo caused the crash. Also the pillion had not strapped his helmet on.

Please ignore the date as the camera was reset.
nikhn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 03:20   #25597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Half the people who come to "help" in train accidents are there to steal. I have direct evidence, not hearsay.
Erm...ok. I can understand this and since I have no direct experience, I take your word for it. So much for the noble villagers theory; they seem to be like their fellow citizens from the cities, given half a chance.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 10:20   #25598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Oops! It is indeed a 90 degree turn. Not sure why it is called as driver lost control. The driver steered it to right few metres before where he was supposed to turn. Either he got blinded by the oncoming high beams and steered in panic thinking the curve has come, or blindly followed a slow GPS navigation.
The video is not clear, but I tried watching it on a big screen, during the turn the front wheels of the bus turn at a speed which is not humanly possible, it only points towards a broken steering rack or tie rod end.
In over 25 years and 10 Lakh km of driving I've lost control of my car only once, and that was due to a broken tierod end. Seatbelt saved me but my car was a total loss.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 30th January 2018 at 10:26.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 11:28   #25599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Experienced this while riding on my way to Maddur yesterday. Not enough gap maintained between the bike and the Sumo and also the sudden swerve by the Sumo caused the crash. Also the pillion had not strapped his helmet on.
The Sumo driver might not have seen the bike at all, it could very be possible that the bike was in the driver's blind spot. Some bikers have this uncanny knack of staying in the blind spot and springing a surprise when the bigger vehicle (often a van or a bus) wants to make a turn.

The Sumo driver was also tailgating the vehicle in front as well as didn't use indicators.

Two wrongs don't make a right - @TorqueyTechie is absolutely right
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 11:53   #25600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
:They did not trouble me again but this experience is going to stay with me for a long period of time. This will not stop me from helping anyone in future, but it will definitely stop me the third or the fourth time.
I keep doing this wonderful job often, thankfully I have never been to a situation where I felt 'risky' and 'intimidated'. I picked up this from one of my colleagues during early 2000, when mobile phones were not much in active. I had visited police stations couple of times with him. He was a big heart guy, always lending his help wherever possible.

Often we believe that someone would have informed the police, but in general, most of them think that way and simple move their way. To my surprise, till date (i would have registered complaint with 100 more than 20 times), i have not been told 'somebody has already' registered a complaint! In one of the cases the body was laying for more than 3 hours near a railway track.

Thankfully Blr police has not troubled me much except for calls from the attached stations to check for the exact locations. Possibly in the above railway case, the calls received were more as I had informed 100 and there were few calls from local police station and later from railway police as it was under their zone. Thankfully nothing intimidating, so far! But yes, when you here the caller says 'calling from so-and-so station, there is a slight surge in heart beat :-)
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:06   #25601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
This is just a speculation, but the driver could have dozed off, that could have resulted in such an extreme maneuver.
Many of these commercial vehicle drivers are exploited to the hilt. Those renting the vehicle usually bully the driver into driving them to multiple places throughout the duration of their stay. Very few provide them basic facilities like a bed to sleep. Most of them end up sleeping in fits and bursts in their vehicle itself. It is quite possible that after a long weekend drive, the driver was expected to get them home overnight. Who knows how many such trips he made in the week before? The drivers too use their tips mostly on tobacco products to keep them awake during the drive.

Word on the street in Pune is the driver dozed off. Also that a small girl survived as she was thrown in the footboard area during the impact. Many others were hit by shattered glass or impaled by the rods that broke on impact. Another old lady is reported to have survived the initial impact.

unfortunate incident, may they all rest in peace. Clearly avoidable if the drivers take preventive action and drive only when they are alert/ sober enough. There are so many cases especially of drowsy drivers; just check any of the drivers bringing you to/ from Mumbai airport from/ to Pune in the early hours.

Edit:

Quote:
The most annoying part for me is how the Sumo driver just continued on his way. Almost qualifies to be a hit and run case.

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th January 2018 at 12:25.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:11   #25602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The biker braked wrong. Had he used the right technique, he would have slowed down without skidding and falling. He jammed the rear brakes and lost control of the front as well. Most people do not know the right braking technique. Right technique comes in handy in such situations . It was a simple braking situation which went wrong because of bad technique
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:47   #25603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
... Most of them end up sleeping in fits and bursts in their vehicle itself....

Word on the street in Pune is the driver dozed off...
After having driven long hours, I find the best way to catch a quick nap and refresh oneself is just push the back of the seat down and doze off for a few minutes. Nowadays when I park the car at a restaurant, I tell the occupants to go ahead and refresh themselves and order food. I take a nap and then join them.

I have observed all drivers of the rental cars I have travelled in (not the Uber/Ola types, but long distance hires) do the same during day time. When travelling with a hired vehicle/driver, if the occupants are visiting multiple places, the driver usually catches a few winks while the occupants are busy visiting a site. So this definitely does not look like the family's fault.

Yes, the driver could have dozed off, which could have triggered a knee jerk reaction when he suddenly woke up, resulting in a sharp 90 degree turn. Apart from the steering linkage/rod breaking, this seems to be the only plausible reason why the minibus suddenly took that fatal turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The most annoying part for me is how the Sumo driver just continued on his way. Almost qualifies to be a hit and run case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The biker braked wrong. Had he used the right technique, he would have slowed down without skidding and falling... It was a simple braking situation which went wrong because of bad technique
The biker needs to have more common sense than tailgate a vehicle like the Sumo. He cannot see the road ahead and he cannot anticipate the Sumo's maneuvers. That's the biggest mistake.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:57   #25604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The video is not clear, but I tried watching it on a big screen, during the turn the front wheels of the bus turn at a speed which is not humanly possible, it only points towards a broken steering rack or tie rod end.
Can the fixed axle vehicle going in a straight line be forced into a sudden turn because of these failures? Or will it not respond to desired inputs?
It does look like the driver nodded off, work up suddenly and was disoriented into the action because of the oncoming lights perhaps.
Either that, or the mechanical failure.
Old 30th January 2018, 13:16   #25605
Senior - BHPian

Always hoped I'd not feature in this thread, but then our roads are so crazy, this happened the other day.

I was at a 4 road junction heading home around 10.30pm and I exit from this underbridge at a speed of around 20-30 kmph IIRC. There's this Tata Ace flying down the road (easily 50-60kmph) perpendicular to mine. In his load bay are 2 horses and he is towing one of those charriot things that are used for processions and driving in the centre of the road.

I saw him and immediately stopped, but with so much of a load and being so fast he could not stop in time.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180122_223352.jpg

Surprisingly my bumper held on and took the brunt very well. Even the clips held on ! All the white marks is the paint from the Ace.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180122_225632.jpg

After some nail polish remover treatment, this is how the bumper looks. I need a new headlight and fog lamp assembly now.
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed