Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 14:32   #25606
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

@Sawyer
The speed at which the traveller took the turn will require at least 1 full rotations of the steering wheel. I dont think it is humanly possible to turn a steering at a speed we see it happen.
I myself remember what I faced when my tie rod snapped, (steering go weightless and car taking a sudden LH U turn off the road and overturn.)
Secondly there is traffic on the road, a driver may fall asleep when he is on a long straight stretch with no traffic. secondly there is a slight LH curve about 400 M before the bridge, which the traveller would have crossed less than a minute before. Some steering input would have been needed there, some one asleep at the wheel wuld have run out of the road into the fields at that spot.
The police usually take the easy way out, a dead driver who cannot defend himself will be blamed whatever the reason behind the accident, it is only cctv footage that shows us that a mechanical fault in steering assembly is very possible.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 30th January 2018 at 14:42.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 14:33   #25607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Experienced this while riding on my way to Maddur yesterday. Not enough gap maintained between the bike and the Sumo and also the sudden swerve by the Sumo caused the crash.
No, the position of the bike caused the crash.

Your video title is wrong. ABS necessity? How can ABS help when one has already hit something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The biker needs to have more common sense than tailgate a vehicle like the Sumo. He cannot see the road ahead and he cannot anticipate the Sumo's maneuvers. That's the biggest mistake.
The biker needs to have more common sense than to tailgate at all.

The Summo should not be lane straddling/wandering: his driving is very imperfect, but the accident is entirely the biker's fault. He does not even comprehend that the Sumo driver is hard to predict. Probably because he never actually attempts to predict the movement of other vehicles. Such people are not drivers/riders. They lack all the basics. The only thing they know is how to get the thing to move.

I hate to say deserved when people get hurt, but...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 14:40   #25608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, the position of the bike caused the crash.

Your video title is wrong. ABS necessity? How can ABS help when one has already hit something?
I'm sorry if the video is not clear. He does not hit anything. If you observe clearly, the rear wheel skids due to hard/sudden application of the rear brake.

I agree he was too close to the vehicle, however I feel that if ABS was there he wouldn't have skid and fallen but would have rammed the Sumo instead.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 15:17   #25609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Always hoped I'd not feature in this thread, but then our roads are so crazy, this happened the other day.
Too bad the car got dinged and I'm glad the paint and the structure held on well. The traffic sense across the country has taken a major dip and I guess sooner or later we can expect such incidents, only hope is its not major or injuring.

Have always loved the way you've maintained your car and I believe I saw your car couple of days ago around the phase 2 Wipro circle.
no_boundaries is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 15:31   #25610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Sumo driver was also tailgating the vehicle in front as well as didn't use indicators.
He does give the indicator after shifting to the left in true "style". Which means he probably saw what happened behind him.

Quote:
Experienced this while riding on my way to Maddur yesterday.
Too close to the vehicle in front and in a complete blind spot is always a recipe for disaster. ABS unfortunately cannot cure that.
Old 30th January 2018, 15:35   #25611
BHPian

36 is the official figure. The way these buses are filled, I fear there would be more. The bus driver is said to on phone while driving.

Link : https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/...86B8&mode=text

Quote:
Thirty-six people died after a bus plunged 25 feet into a creek from a bridge in Daulatabad, 12 kilometres from Murshidabad district headquarters Behrampore, early on Monday.

Most of the dead were state government employees, primarily schoolteachers.

The bus careened off the bridge while trying to avoid a last-minute, head-on collision with a truck. Witnesses said the driver was speaking on his phone while driving and refused to heed repeated pleas by passengers not to do so.

Seven persons, who were near the door, jumped off even as the vehicle broke through the bridge’s concrete barrier; one of them later died at a hospital and the other six were being treated for serious but not life-threatening injuries.

Rescue operations continued well after dusk as divers searched for more bodies or survivors from the deep creek.
Old 30th January 2018, 15:36   #25612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@Sawyer
The speed at which the traveller took the turn will require at least 1 full rotations of the steering wheel. I dont think it is humanly possible to turn a steering at a speed we see it happen.
I myself remember what I faced when my tie rod snapped, (steering go weightless and car taking a sudden LH U turn off the road and overturn.)
Secondly there is traffic on the road, a driver may fall asleep when he is on a long straight stretch with no traffic. secondly there is a slight LH curve about 400 M before the bridge, which the traveller would have crossed less than a minute before. Some steering input would have been needed there, some one asleep at the wheel wuld have run out of the road into the fields at that spot.
The police usually take the easy way out, a dead driver who cannot defend himself will be blamed whatever the reason behind the accident, it is only cctv footage that shows us that a mechanical fault in steering assembly is very possible.

Rahul
I don't think that CCTV can be relied on to that extent. The correct thing would be to investigate the remains of the car; only that will yield conclusive evidence that has a better chance of finding the reasons and ruling out or ruling in some causes. Till then all of us are speculating from our armchairs. Even if the police do this forensic work, I doubt we will ever know.

What I don't understand is what kind of mechanical failure does it need to have a fixed front axle to turn in that manner. It may well be what you say, but it is just as likely to not be the case. Fixed axles in front may behave very differently from front wheel drive cars.

And someone that nods off may make a move in a reflex reaction to what he sees suddenly looming in front of him on waking up.

Of course, both of us are guilty of armchair speculation. Or, to be put it more accurately, I certainly am. And perhaps there is even a third reason - a passenger next to the driver having been involved in some manner, perhaps having seen the driver nod off? Who can say for sure from behind a computer terminal?

Last edited by Sawyer : 30th January 2018 at 15:37.
Old 30th January 2018, 17:06   #25613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry if the video is not clear. He does not hit anything. If you observe clearly, the rear wheel skids due to hard/sudden application of the rear brake.

I agree he was too close to the vehicle, however I feel that if ABS was there he wouldn't have skid and fallen but would have rammed the Sumo instead.
I'm sure you looked at the video far more carefully than I. I watched that point a couple of times, but not full screen.

Not being a two-wheeler, I have no real idea what it might or might not have achieved in the circumstance. If he had rammed the vehicle, the accident could have been just as bad.
Old 30th January 2018, 18:34   #25614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not being a two-wheeler, I have no real idea what it might or might not have achieved in the circumstance. If he had rammed the vehicle, the accident could have been just as bad.
Just that, then the Sumo driver would have become a part of the accident and would have been harassed for the biker's stupidity.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 18:56   #25615
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure you looked at the video far more carefully than I. I watched that point a couple of times, but not full screen.
Didn't have to look at the video since I actually saw live what had happened.

Yes, they were lucky. Just got on to the bike again and rode off as of nothing had happened. This is common on that particular stretch. It's between Bangalore and Mysore.

Last edited by nikhn : 30th January 2018 at 18:57. Reason: Grammar corrections
nikhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:19   #25616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't have to look at the video since I actually saw live what had happened.
Whoops. Multiple missed-point error on my part! <Blush>
Old 31st January 2018, 09:25   #25617
Senior - BHPian

Received this at our Vitara Brezza Owner's Club's whats app group. No Airbag deployed. All passengers and driver are safe.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 11:00   #25618
BHPian

Was going to Goa on 24th Jan. Got held up at the Ghat between Nipani and Ajara. I think it was Amboli Ghat. This is what caused it :
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1517376217114.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-1517376244970.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-1517376273644.jpg
Don't know whose fault it was, but the generator guy had to use a thick steel bar to pry the car apart from the generator truck. It was stuck pretty bad. Took half an hour to separate the two and then traffic got eased up. Left side of i20 was totalled. All scrunched up.

There were no casualties, I believe, but an ambulance came and took away some injured person/s.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2018 at 09:19. Reason: Correcting small typo :)
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 11:36   #25619
Distinguished - BHPian

I always had a fear of running into such buses or trucks that had its Air filter cover open near the driver's cabin and damage my car but this accident is of a different kind that resulted in 2 deaths!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-airfiltercoverksrtc.png

Image Source: Team-BHP (Eicher Buses making a comeback)

Open side door of Shivneri bus knocks down 3, kills 2

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus_door.jpg

Quote:
PUNE: In a freak accident, two men were killed and a third seriously injured after the open door of the air-conditioning compartment of a Pune-Mumbai Shivneri bus hit them at a stop in Khadki along the Pune-Mumbai road around 8.30pm on Sunday.

Khadki police said the hydraulic door opened automatically after the bus hit a speed bump barely 50 metres before the accident spot. As it was passing the bus stop, the open door hit the three men standing there
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 16:16   #25620
Senior - BHPian

An extremely disturbing crash that happened today noon.

A speeding Verna tried to force its way through a turn - ended up on two wheels, clipped a lamppost & rolled several times. The occupants were thrown out of the car - 3 died, 2 survived (1 critically injured.)

Name:  ForumRunner_20180131_161332.png
Views: 6828
Size:  484.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20180131_161339.png
Views: 6805
Size:  516.7 KB

(Pics were shared by my friend Santhosh. I pretty much suck at photo editing - tried masking the gruesome-ity as best as I can)

Last edited by schakravarthy : 31st January 2018 at 16:19.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed