Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 17:39   #25621
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
An extremely disturbing crash that happened today noon.

The occupants were thrown out of the car - 3 died, 2 survived (1 critically injured.)

(Pics were shared by my friend Santhosh. I pretty much suck at photo editing - tried masking the gruesome-ity as best as I can)
Probably not using seat belts. this highlights why seat belt should be used compulsorily by rear seat occupants .
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:54   #25622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Video related to the above mentioned incident.
Came across this news about above mentioned selfie accident. As per the news this is a fake video.

https://m.indiatimes.com/news/india/...tm_medium=paid

Last edited by ampere : 1st February 2018 at 07:32. Reason: Link edited. + Video link removed from quoted post
Old 31st January 2018, 21:09   #25623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Came across this news about above mentioned selfie accident. As per the news this is a fake news.

https://m.indiatimes.com/news/india/...tm_medium=paid
Wow, if the video is fake, they have done a brilliant job. But I don't think the video is fake, look at the shadow casted by the man on the track and the approaching train, the hand, when it gets hit by the train. If fake, they have done the job meticulously or they are lying now to escape public embrassment and police case.

Overspeeding and target fixation.

Last edited by ecenandu : 31st January 2018 at 21:17.
ecenandu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 07:24   #25624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I always had a fear of running into such buses or trucks that had its Air filter cover open near the driver's cabin and damage my car but this accident is of a different kind that resulted in 2 deaths
This was not an issue with the Old KSRTC buses, but the new Suvarna Sarige buses came with many such doors on both sides. I have fallen twice because of these doors opening suddenly when ever the bus goes over a hump or a ditch. It literally opens up like a wing and hits pretty hard.

I had a very close call in the early 2000s on my bike and after that I had been very cautious of these doors.

But the problem now seems to occur on volvo buses as well from past 4-5 years. Couple of months ago in Whitefield area the rear engine bay door swung open and hit a biker tailgating the BMTC volvo bus. The biker escaped with minor scratches.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:22   #25625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Overspeeding and target fixation.
Shouldn't we blame both?
  • The Duke rider for riding at a speed where he can't handle the vehicle on such situations?
  • Since he couldn't brake on time at least he could have avoided the hit by aiming behind CBZ tail.
  • The CBZ rider for taking a right without watching completely for an oncoming traffic (I know his eyes just grazed but then didn't noticed the fast approaching Duke until it was too late).
  • Kid and him without helmet, hope now he would have realized the importance of head gear even for local errands and for the pillion too.
Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 1st February 2018 at 08:24.
treadmark is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:52   #25626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I always had a fear of running into such buses or trucks that had its Air filter cover open near the driver's cabin and damage my car but this accident is of a different kind that resulted in 2 deaths!
Incidents like these are what results of gross carelessness and the typical Chalta hai attitude. Even KSRTC Volvo buses have dangling engine covers. They use household latches to shut them when the OE lock gets damaged. If we try to explain the risks involved, no one listens. Only when a life or two is lost, they will at least open ears. But then, the countermeasure will be as stupid as using two household locks instead of one, or adding a huge lock mean to be used in shops. Small things do matter a lot.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:48   #25627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I Even KSRTC Volvo buses have dangling engine covers. They use household latches to shut them when the OE lock gets damaged.
Actually ours is a country where people think they know one better than the vehicle manufacturer. The slats and openings on the sides and top at the rear of the bus are designed for a particular airflow, routing the inrushing air from the wake and asking it to cool the engine (old pic which I drew in MSpaint). Keeping it open results in not allowing the air from the top to come in, rather from the bottom, plus this air never reaches the intended places and does not cool the engine as originally designed. Apart from harming others, these open hatches will lead to higher maintenance cost.
Attached Images

venkyhere is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:52   #25628
Senior - BHPian

Came across this accident report.
Pic courtesy and report in local language: https://southlive.in/mirror/socialwa...hief-minister/

Sadly the conductor died. Looks like the driver dozed off.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtc3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtc4.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtc2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtc11.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtcaccident1.jpg  

balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:19   #25629
BHPian

Quote:
Open side door of Shivneri bus knocks down 3, kills 2
The Shivneri buses are extremely ill maintained. Most of the times the doors don't open or they don't close. Many times, I have even seen that they have removed the hydraulic cylinders which help open and close these doors and the doors are not locked making it dangle when the vehicle moves. The hydraulics are there on the doors for a reason which these idiots don't seem to understand. They feel they are the most intelligent species on the planet to think of something like removing it altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Both the axles have come off . Looks like a high speed one.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2018 at 23:37. Reason: Multiple typos. Please proofread your posts before posting.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2018, 11:45   #25630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this accident report.
Pic courtesy and report in local language: https://southlive.in/mirror/socialwa...hief-minister/

Sadly the conductor died. Looks like the driver dozed off.
That one strong wall. Both axles removed.
The conductor I have a feeling would have been thrown off the bus through the front window.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 13:26   #25631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That one strong wall. Both axles removed.
The conductor I have a feeling would have been thrown off the bus through the front window.
Yes, he was thrown out of the door and went under the bus.

The report in the link above is in fact written by one of the passengers in the bus narrating the experience. It had happened at Gundelpet on Jan 29, the route between Bangalore and Calicut and the bus is a KeSRTC. He writes it as a plea to the authorities to provide safety to the travelers by ensuring the drivers are efficient. Also he complaints about the delay the local fire force and police in arriving at the spot after one and half hours. Until then the passengers tried their best to get the conductor out of the mangled remains. Had he been rescued earlier, he would have survived, says he.

We must have noticed that in these inter-state buses, once the conductor is done with his formalities of ticketing after the start of the trip, he goes to sleep leaving the driver alone for the overnight drive. Isn't the conductor supposed to be awake during his duty hours and engage with the driver so that the latter does not fall asleep. If this particular accident is because of the driver dozing off, then sadly, the conductor paid the price of not giving due diligence to his job.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:01   #25632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the conductor supposed to be awake during his duty hours and engage with the driver so that the latter does not fall asleep. If this particular accident is because of the driver dozing off, then sadly, the conductor paid the price of not giving due diligence to his job.
Seriously? So now it's the conductor's fault, is it?

I don't know from where you have conjured up the hypothesis that it is one of the duties of the conductor to ensure the driver remains awake. I assume you must have based this claim on the KSRTC operations manuals or the service contracts with conductors or some such rulebook?

By that same logic all passengers in vehicles which do not have a conductor would be duty bound to make sure the driber remains awake.

Let us not try to shift the blame onto those who are innocent, but to those who are guilty, namely the drivers.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 15:21   #25633
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the conductor supposed to be awake during his duty hours and engage with the driver
I believe conductors are not allowed to sleep according to the rules. I doubt there is any job where you are allowed to sleep during duty hours.

Engage with the driver, probably not part of the job. However, its quite possible that it is, unofficially or perhaps even officially. Maybe someone can clarify, but I suspect the bus primarily the conductor's responsibility.
lawdgawd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 16:06   #25634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
I believe conductors are not allowed to sleep according to the rules. I doubt there is any job where you are allowed to sleep during duty hours.
I don't think this can be true. I have travelled and seen in State Government Long Distance Buses in Tamil Nadu especially the ones that runs for more than 500Kms having only 2 crews, one exclusive driver and another acts as Conductor cum Driver. A particular seat of the bus will never be booked and so that the resting crew can sleep / relax. This was the case even 25 years back which normally takes 12 to 14 hours then to cover that distance.

I have noticed in such buses that the Conductor drives for almost the same distance or time the exclusive driver does.
batman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 16:36   #25635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Seriously? So now it's the conductor's fault, is it?
I did not say that this accident is due to the conductors fault, I mentioned that only if he was awake which he was supposed to if he is on duty (assuming he was asleep, and the driver dozed off), this accident would not have probably happened. It is not about the rule book or anything, just as simple as one thing leading to another.

I am trying to emphasize this point about the full time conductors taking a nap during the over night journey. I travel frequently in this particular route where the accident happened, and have seen almost every time that, after the conductor is done with his ticketing responsibilities and dinner, he sleeps and wakes up towards the end of the trip.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed