Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2018, 22:29   #26131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Tragic death of Bike Enthusiast. RIP.
I want to make one point that all these challenges are designed based on Western World Infrastructure and Possibilities. Pursing these targets on Indian Road condition is not so wise decision.
It is a challenge riddled with risks even in the west. I have met very few people who have completed it. Fewer who enjoyed it. It is a mindless pursuit to conquer personal boundaries.
Like completing an ironman, or climbing Everest- with enough guidance, preparation, practice, luck and good health, it can be done. But, there are lots of such sad stories in the west as well.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 08:55   #26132
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Came across this news in Manorama today.

A 22 year old Keralaite student died on an accident while on his way to pursue the saddle sore challenge that demands covering 1624 kms in 24 hours.

News link:

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...ddle-sore.html
It infuriates and deeply distresses each time I hear about such disturbing endings of an imprudent, ego boasting endeavor.

For young heads I know (we all are/were), sometimes we tend to believe ‘nothing is impossible’ but that is when factors out there are in our control. A parked vehicle in the middle of the road on a dark stretch, or iron roads dangling or a bovine on its journey across the road or drunk drivers and many more, are factors which are beyond our control.

Doing 1600kms in 24hrs is 70kmph, an average speed which is just not possible on our roads with a tired brain and sored butt. Out of human impatience we tend to do a rash act when we are closer to destination/milestone. One might do 100+ for an hour but then will have to do 30-50 for half an hour through town/villages and when you do this ‘I-have-iron-butt-I-can-race-against-time’, you will speed up and ignore conditions (which we usually won’t) and that’s when it’s most precarious.

Saddle sore crown shouldn’t be for us, nor should it be for anyone; we most likely end up hurting ourselves or some other innocent life with our decelerating brain and accelerating machine.

Every now and then we have close shaves in a car but when on motorcycle the odds against are way higher and all our senses need to work over time while we still need the good angel to watch over us. I appreciate a rider’s spirit, his/her craving and always wish it has happy endings but unfortunately, it wasn’t to be here.

RIP the departed soul.
wangdu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 10:32   #26133
BHPian

Quote:
the saddle sore challenge
Every time I read about such mishaps, I'm amazed by the level of foolishness these riders have. What a tragic end to a young life.

I think we should ban such stupid and dangerous records and the organizations that support them. Our roads are not meant for such antics.

I'm not even sure what kind of riding buddies such folks have. I mean, those who might be motivating or encouraging such young riders to take up these insane challenges.

If anyone from my riding group ever suggests such an adventure, I'm sure to show him the "not so green" side of taking up such a task in hand.

Ride safe.
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 17:08   #26134
Distinguished - BHPian

A family member of one of my colleagues lost her life last Monday in this tragic accident near Hanagal involving a Sirsi bound VRL bus.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-.jpg
Source : New Indian ExpressThe driver was neither DUI nor sleepy it seems. Looking at the picture, I believe he didn't factor for that tree growth above the road. A car could've easily passed under it but this tall vehicle couldn't. I know this road and it is a single not-so-wide road with old huge trees on both sides. The judgement error by the driver cost 2 lives.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 18:10   #26135
Team-BHP Support

While he should have been more alert (the bus driver re hanagal accident), it is a bit unaccepted to have something like this impede your movement on a road. I have my sympathies for him failing to account for him - might just have taken him by surprise before he realised its an accident hazard.
Old 20th April 2018, 19:23   #26136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A family member of one of my colleagues lost her life last Monday in this tragic accident near Hanagal involving a Sirsi bound VRL bus.
Attachment 1753729
Source : New Indian ExpressThe driver was neither DUI nor sleepy it seems. Looking at the picture, I believe he didn't factor for that tree growth above the road. A car could've easily passed under it but this tall vehicle couldn't. I know this road and it is a single not-so-wide road with old huge trees on both sides. The judgement error by the driver cost 2 lives.
The news report clearly states the driver lost control and rammed into the tree.

Also the photo indicates the bus probably skidded into the tree. The angle of the bus to the road is a bit weird for the theory that the bus driver didn't account for the tree and drive straight.

So I don't think it was an error in judging the tree's underhang, but a plain accident.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 08:06   #26137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
"Always look at the farthest that your eyes can see on the road ahead". This one habit can make you assess all risks that you might encounter.
Sometime back on Dindugul-Trichy highway, unfortunately I hit a dog running across the road & have to drop the Vehicle at Trichy for a broken radiator & other repairs. Took a Volvo bus to reach home & was spending few hours with driver in his cabin. Upon hearing my incident, he says the most important rule is looking as far as you could

Quote:
That bullet rider clearly did not see far. If he did so, he could have noticed a pair of headlamps in the fast lane at 0:05 in that video.
I see that too tough to spot....lucky guys managed to squeeze into the gap

BTW, are you driving towards Villupuram from Trichy in your strome yesterday morning around 10 am?
Old 21st April 2018, 08:33   #26138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

BTW, are you driving towards Villupuram from Trichy in your strome yesterday morning around 10 am?
Oh yes what car were you in?
One of my offices is on NH45
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180420_100543309_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st April 2018 at 08:54.
Old 21st April 2018, 08:51   #26139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime back on Dindugul-Trichy highway, unfortunately I hit a dog running across the road & have to drop the Vehicle at Trichy for a broken radiator & other repairs. Took a Volvo bus to reach home & was spending few hours with driver in his cabin. Upon hearing my incident, he says the most important rule is looking as far as you could
Sorry to hear about your accident, but sometimes even looking far ahead wont help. Once when I was cruising at around 70-80 on the right-most lane of highway in a decade old Santro with my friend, a dog leapt from the bushes NHAI has grown on the divider (possibly to reduce glare from on-coming traffic at night)

I literally had no time to react, and the dog had already crossed the car safely by the time I reached for the brakes. Both me and my friend were shook, but thankfully nothing unfortunate happened as the timing was perfect. Praise the almighty! But can't imagine the scenario if I had been a little faster, or if the dog jumped a tiny moment later, or if I had been in the middle lane! So sometimes when we are out of luck, we suffer.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 09:46   #26140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes what car were you in?
One of my offices is on NH45

Red Polo.

Didn't know that Strome can get onto so much of speeds without much of a sweat...credit goes to driver as well -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I literally had no time to react, and the dog had already crossed the car safely by the time I reached for the brakes. Both me and my friend were shook, but thankfully nothing unfortunate happened as the timing was perfect. Praise the almighty! But can't imagine the scenario if I had been a little faster, or if the dog jumped a tiny moment later, or if I had been in the middle lane! So sometimes when we are out of luck, we suffer.

Same situation..It just jumped out of those thick bushes. Was on a SUV & the speeds I was carrying didn't let me to try anything, just hold the steering straight and pray it escapes
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 09:58   #26141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Red Polo.

Didn't know that Strome can get onto so much of speeds without much of a sweat...credit goes to driver as well -
Ha, I guessed bro!

We had fun! You drove great too. Not often do I find such company on the highways

Mine is a Varicor 400, 156 bhp variant. This one can do good speeds for a 7 seater 2.7 tonne car.

Sorry for going

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd April 2018 at 09:06. Reason: See note in post.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:29   #26142
Senior - BHPian

Seven people killed as car roll down a roadside gorge

Quote:
An SUV parked by the National Highway 24 in Ghaziabad’s Vijay Nagar skidded 25 feet into a sewage filled drain and killed seven people of a marriage party, including the groom’s father, police said on Saturday.
Most of the news portals reported (example) the cause of the accident as a child disengaged the handbrake of the car causing it to roll down a roadside gorge. But Times of India reported that accident happened due to the driver, who was busy on phone.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:42   #26143
Distinguished - BHPian

The cause of a pretty long traffic jam on the Eastern Freeway, Mumbai early this morning. Hopefully no one was injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180422_08470301.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180422_084705001.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180422_08471001.jpeg  

Old 23rd April 2018, 07:05   #26144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
The cause of a pretty long traffic jam on the Eastern Freeway, Mumbai early this morning. Hopefully no one was injured.
A possible scenarios might by that the driver was busy with phone while driving. Car lost the track, started leaning towards the left side and the front wheel went on the slope of the side wall which lead the car flew in the air and turn turtle.

Not sure of what exactly happened but this is my personal assumption after looking at the big white paint spot on the left front tyre, and considering the dangerous trend of people getting busy with their cellphones while driving cars.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd April 2018 at 07:06.
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:26   #26145
BHPian

Under-construction flyover mishap – Tar sprayed on cars passing below

Quoting from the news article (link below)
Quote:
As per eye-witness, this happened when a truck on the flyover accidentally spilled a drum filled with tar on to the road below. The truck was reversing, and it tipped the drum, which resulted in hot tar being thrown on cars below.

RushLane Article

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd April 2018 at 21:43. Reason: You can use Quote option. Thanks.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks