Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:33   #26206
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I agree that the old ones might be easier to push start. Some of them might have been made to start with a crank handle.

Generally, though, in my thankfully limited experience, it is not easy to manually start a diesel due to the higher compression required. My experience is with boat engines: you cannnot overcome that compression, so a valve is provided to release it and allow the engine to be turned over, storing momentum in a flywheel. When you think you are there, you close the valve, and hopefully, chug... chug, chug!

This engine was probably already hot, though, which increases the likelihood of a push start.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:21   #26207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Good Roads or super awesome roads; Good car or extremely good car - Somehow, I have comfortably settled between 100-120 KMPH that helps take care of a lot of aspects together. I am too paranoid and glad that I still drive with a lot of fear even today.
OFF Topic:
I am afraid of sedans due one particular reason that they can do insane speeds quite comfortably that is why I prefer suv over them. Drive slow and enjoy the journey rather than slamming accelerator frequently. From my experience I am more sedate when I drive a suv as compared to sedan or hatchback due to various factors like weight, high cog, body roll etc. Speed thrills but kills.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:34   #26208
BHPian

I captured this in mobile dashcam last week (on 27th April 2018), on Nice Road Bangalore. (That was the first day I had set up the mobile as dashcam, as an experiment).

I noticed this Ola cab (Nissan Sunny) coming very fast (may be in 120+) in my ORVM. When he was overtaking us I told my brother-in-law "see this guy, he is going to hit someone today".

5,4,3,2,1, thud!! Unfortunately, my prophecy became true in 5 seconds.

The cab took to the emergency/parking lane, but there was a truck parked. He swayed to right but couldn't stop the car in time and hit one of the scooter in front. Most of the momentum passed over to the ill fated scooter and it decided to drop the rider and went alone. The rider hit the asphalt and sustained injuries due to the impact.

We stopped to help the injured. Nobody were sure of the seriousness of the injury as there were chances of internal damage/bleeding. The cab driver fled the scene while we were attending the injured. My brother-in-law called the NICE road people for the ambulance. Though we also asked them to catch the cab, I believe, he had already taken the first available exit. I sent the footage over whatsapp to the friend of the injured.

4 days later called them again to check if they needed any help (clearer footage/images). He told that the injury was not serious and have filed the case on the cab driver using the footage.

raghu13uk is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:52   #26209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu13uk View Post

4 days later called them again to check if they needed any help (clearer footage/images). He told that the injury was not serious and have filed the case on the cab driver using the footage.
The biker rider was lucky, it is obvious he did not buckle his helmet in, we can clearly see the helmet flying off. On my commute to office, I observe many rider, some with expensive helmets, do not bother with straping in the helmet.
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:06   #26210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You contributed evidence in the case so please preserve that footage on the camera itself and don't allow it to get auto deleted after further use of the camera. The IO (investigating officer) in the case will need to sieze your camera and SD card in order to forensically examine it and prove that the footage is authentic - court required step.

You will get the cam back in God's good time I guess.

Last edited by hserus : 3rd May 2018 at 07:06. Reason: removed video
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:18   #26211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I captured this in mobile dashcam last week (on 27th April 2018), on Nice Road Bangalore. (That was the first day I had set up the mobile as dashcam, as an experiment).
Was this between Clover leaf and Kanakapura road? I did see a scooter lying on the drain between the lanes last week. I guess this is the same.
Old 3rd May 2018, 08:30   #26212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I captured this in mobile dashcam last week (on 27th April 2018), on Nice Road Bangalore.
The truck driver on the right lane tried his best to not hit the riderless bike as well, at the cost of almost getting toppled.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:10   #26213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You contributed evidence in the case so please preserve that footage on the camera itself and don't allow it to get auto deleted after further use of the camera. The IO (investigating officer) in the case will need to sieze your camera and SD card in order to forensically examine it and prove that the footage is authentic - court required step.

You will get the cam back in God's good time I guess.
Not needed anymore hserus. SC has already clarified below:

"Accordingly, we clarify the legal position on the subject on the admissibility of the electronic evidence, especially by a party who is not in possession of device from which the document is produced. Such party cannot be required to produce certificate under Section 65B(4) of the Evidence Act," the bench said.

Thus, the footage will be taken as a evidence by IO (as is) and filed in Court, which is admissible and valid henceforth.
prithm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:22   #26214
BHPian

http://https://www.cartoq.com/new-fo...-burst-4-dead/

Sad and unfortunate accident. Ford Ecosport T boned by a truck. The damage is extensive. None survived.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:33   #26215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Was this between Clover leaf and Kanakapura road? I did see a scooter lying on the drain between the lanes last week. I guess this is the same.
Yes, it was in that region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thus, the footage will be taken as a evidence by IO (as is) and filed in Court, which is admissible and valid henceforth.
Good to know that.
The only saving I have, if they confiscate my mobile is, the phone is worth of Rs 2,750 only. I had bought it as an emergency/backup phone.
Old 3rd May 2018, 13:09   #26216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had the misfortune of passing through the same spot on the same day. What made it worse was that I passed maybe within 30 minutes of the accident. I was traveling back to Hyderabad from a wedding in Nagpur. I was scared and so were my friends, we were also in the new Ecosport after all.

The traffic was diverted by the police a section before. So we had to go by the opposite lane wondering why the diversion. Just as I crawled a few hundred meters, there was the car or whatever was left of it. It was chaotic, the bodies were wrapped in white sheets. God bless the family! We completed the rest of the journey rather silently. Trust me, the image is going to haunt me for a long time.

Last edited by DasJager : 3rd May 2018 at 13:15. Reason: Quoting
DasJager is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:46   #26217
BHPian

This one is crazy, stupid and scary too. The rider cannot wait for the truck and just as he goes behind the truck starts reversing. He freaks out moves a bit more to the right, realises a cyclist is waiting there to cross slams the rear brake, loses balance and falls.

The Hayabusa rider had no patience to wait which definitely burned a nice little hole in his wallet and the scary part was the Punjab roadways green bus just barreling down on him.

People have gone mad is all I can say. The guy could have moved his bike to the side or the bus driver could have waited a bit. But no the bus driver had to almost run over the riders left foot to prove a point.

I think it's time people started treating riding and driving with a little more respect than just seeing it as a menial job of dodging and bullying everyone else on the road to get where they are going.

Last edited by Shanksta : 3rd May 2018 at 17:47. Reason: Adding information
Shanksta is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 18:06   #26218
Senior - BHPian

Spotted 2 accidents yesterday on NH47 in South Kerala.
First one was a 3-car pile up near Kottiyam (Kollam). Due to some crazy stunt by an auto rickshaw driver, a Eon brakes, to be hit by the Innova behind it, which in turn was rammed by a Sunny. The Sunny seemed to have the max damage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1525350875.282189.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1525350903.489497.jpg

The 2nd was at Krishnapuram (Kayamkulam), where an XUV500 crossed over to the other side of the road, running over earthen pots stacked by the roadside & then into the front yard of the home. Looked like a serious accident, but luckily no human injuries I believe.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1525350916.571911.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:44   #26219
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Radio exec dead as she takes her car straight into a canal - link. Very sad.

Quote:
An open drain and a poorly lit road claimed the life of a young Radio Mirchi executive in Noida in the early hours of Wednesday.

The victim, Tania Khanna, 28, was driving a Verna car that plunged into the eight-foot-wide drain as she negotiated a bend near the Sector 85 roundabout around 1.30am. There is just one streetlight in the area.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:01   #26220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Radio exec dead as she takes her car straight into a canal - link. Very sad.
In another news, I read that as the car nose-dived in the canal, water started gushing inside.
She tried to get out of the car, but couldn't do so because the doors were locked. She went for the rear seats but that didn't help her saving her life and she died of drowning.

Now, this has always baffled me: why do doors get locked in case of an accident? What's the logic behind it? I've read this in many cases.
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks