Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 16:10   #26251
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Terrible accident on Hyderabad ORR, a lady and her two children were in car driving to airport to receive their father returning from Qatar. The car drove straight into a parked sand lorry which didn't had it's parking lights on

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/hyde...w/64036769.cms
Quote:
Shamirpet police said the accident occurred at around 3.30am owing to recklessness on the part of the driver in leaving the lorry with a flat tyre on the road.
Yes, what the lorry driver did was wrong, but ultimately, it was the car driver that ran into it. She had lights and eyes... but didn't use them?

As ever, although deeply sorry for the tragedy, my response to to those who drive straight into stationary things:

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 19:52   #26252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, what the lorry driver did was wrong, but ultimately, it was the car driver that ran into it. She had lights and eyes... but didn't use them?

As ever, although deeply sorry for the tragedy, my response to to those who drive straight into stationary things:

True to some extent. However, one doesn't expect a parked vehicle without any hazard lights on a lane of a fast moving expressway. Of course in India it is common and one should therefore drive at a reasonable speed and remain vigilant but sometimes you might not see the vehicle until it is too late. Therefore, the fault lies with the lorry driver. There needs to be strict enforcement on people stopping on highways and parking their vehicles without any hazard lights or warning triangles. In fact many heavy vehicles don't even have working rear lights. Driver education and steep penalties are the need the hour.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 20:14   #26253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
However, one doesn't expect a parked vehicle without any hazard lights on a lane of a fast moving expressway.
This accident I don't think was on the Hyderabad ORR. Based on the article, I think it was on the Hyderabad-Karimnagar road - definitely not an expressway, but I think a 4-lane road without service lanes, shoulder or illumination.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 20:29   #26254
Senior - BHPian

The way some of the Tempo Travellers are driven on Haralur Road, I always wonder why none of them end up in a fender bender on this stretch. It's been only a passing thought, but a few days ago it materialised:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180503_170731_nf.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180503_170731_nr.jpg

For this TT to have neatly jumped over the kerb and broken the wall on the other side, I can only suspect a sudden course correction because of some imbecile
silversteed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 22:35   #26255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
For this TT to have neatly jumped over the kerb and broken the wall on the other side, I can only suspect a sudden course correction because of some imbecile
If there is a cut in the tyre, media will claim "tyre burst" as cause for the accident.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 00:53   #26256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True to some extent. However, one doesn't expect a parked vehicle without any hazard lights ...
One doesn't expect an elephant either.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 02:26   #26257
BHPian

Quote:
However, one doesn't expect a parked vehicle without any hazard lights
I don't know about the conditions up north, but down south, where I have gone on numerous highway drives on night most of the times, heavy vehicles will be parked without any hazard light on. Very rarely have I seen heavy vehicles parked with hazard lights ON. Forget Hazard lights, most of the time their brake lights itself will be in suspect condition.

some general rules I follow in the night:
1. never drive on the left most lane (hazards of parked vehicles)

2. never drive on the right most lane ( the so called fast lane), I have had few instances where I encountered median stones projecting on the road! Have given me heart-in-the mouth moments.

3. If possible find a bigger or faster vehicle and use it as a pilot vehicle. My favorites are the maniac volvos who zip between cities! Of course, maintain a safe gap so that you don't go and rear-end the bus.

Quote:
Damn, that was savage, Thad!
haria is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 02:53   #26258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, that was savage, Thad!

But just large, unlit object right? A buffalo would do almost as much damage.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 03:35   #26259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. what the lorry driver did was wrong...ultimately the car driver that ran into...had lights and eyes... but didn't use them?

...my response to to those who drive straight into stationary things...
Quote:
...one doesn't expect a parked vehicle without any hazard lights on a lane of a fast
Quote:
If a driver encounters a vehicle that is stopped/stationary directly in its path, there is a very high probability of that driver crashing/rear ending the stationary vehicle.

This has got nothing to do with whether it is day or night, or whether the driver is driving with headlights ON, its just the limitation of the human perception of being able to guage relative motion in quick time.

This is the very reason that many countries have laws such as no slowing down, no stopping, no running out of fuel, no driving below minimum speed limit and broken down vehicles to be parked on dedicated lane away from traffic.

The human (driver's) mind gets subconsciously trained to decipher signals such as brake/high-stop lights as well as blinkers to quickly conclude that the vehicle ahead has applied brakes and is slowing down (when the driver sees brake lights) or has stopped (blinkers).
Of course the brain can distinguish between moving and stationary objects, but it needs time to ascertain that and that time can be unfortunately more than the available time to make that critical decision(steer clear v/s follow behind).

As a special case in Indian daylight conditions, the driver's mind is also trained to quickly identify a stopped vehicle if there is a tree branch/twig with leaves sticking out of it. It may sound hilarious, but at the end of the day, the sticking out tree branch with green leaves is a life saver and practically useful because it gives out its stationary status loud and clear within those critical decision making seconds for the driver behind to steer clear off the vehicle.

Try driving a vehicle without functioning brake lights and one will easily realize how high are the chances of being rear shunted even while slowing down for a speed braker. That is why brake lights and high stop rear lights (standard safety fitment on most cars these days) are so critical and a life saver.

When its so difficult for the human brain to interpret relative motion in daylight, think about the night scenario of the stopped truck without blinkers, the probability of vehicles rear ending it becomes exponential.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 6th May 2018 at 04:00.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 05:24   #26260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If a driver encounters a vehicle that is stopped/stationary directly in its path, there is a very high probability of that driver crashing/rear ending the stationary vehicle.
Driver shouldn't be a driver then.

Quote:
This has got nothing to do with whether it is day or night, or whether the driver is driving with headlights ON, its just the limitation of the human perception of being able to guage relative motion in quick time.
Basic driving skill. If a person can't do it they should not be driving. Admittedly much harder at night.

Quote:
This is the very reason that many countries have laws such as no slowing down, no stopping, no running out of fuel, no driving below minimum speed limit and broken down vehicles to be parked on dedicated lane away from traffic.
Not in my mother country. Now you could quibble about vehicles being stopped in right-hand lane, and you'd be right. But if it happens in front of us we must be able to handle it. Or... death is an option, I suppose, but I would rather try to have and maintain the skills.

Bottom line, which answers all your arguments. We learn skills to be out there. They are not easy, and part of the problem is that some people think they are easy, and some people think they are impossible. They are neither. They are to be learnt and practised. And we should drive within the limits of our practice.

Nobody is perfect, and there will always be mistakes, and they may result in accidents. But they were mistakes, not something inevitable.

Hard line arguments. I believe them. Many don't, and we can see that in this thread. And have I had an accident free driving life? Nope: I made mistakes and sometimes they cost me. Thankfully only bent metal.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 09:01   #26261
BHPian

Quote:
Driver shouldn't be a driver then.

Basic driving skill. If a person can't do it they should not be driving. Admittedly much harder at night.
Agreed. But what if there was a bend right before the truck was parked? There's no way a driver would spot it, especially in the night. At least in such cases it is the responsibility of the truck driver to do something to let other's know that there's a broken down vehicle ahead.

Saying this because I was taken by surprise by truckers & tractors like these, on bends a few times. Was lucky enough to spot & avoid them just at the right time. But I've always wondered how they manage to break down the vehicle at such deadly spots? Coincidence?
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 14:00   #26262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Agreed. But what if there was a bend right before the truck was parked? There's no way a driver would spot it, especially in the night.
I think the point Thad is trying to make is your and your co travellers' lives must be in your control and mustn't be in control of a moron who doesn't know how to park his vehicle or how to maintain the vehicle or an unfortunate soul who has had an accident and is lying dead under that truck.

The point is you, as the driver of your vehicle, have control over your vehicle.

A blind turn? Slow down till you can see ahead and stop in time for anything in the path, including an elephant.

Night time? Slow down till you are sure you can spot an obstacle ahead and stop in time.

Day time? Slow down till you are sure you can spot an obstacle ahead and stop in time.

It's common wisdom, especially at night, that your speeds should only be as much as to allow you to stop by the end of the illuminated stretch of your headlights. So if you can only see 80 metres ahead, you should drive at a speed that allows you to stop within 80 metres.

Finally it all comes to this:

When you are hung on a wall in a nice frame nd with a flower garland, if given a chance, you wouldn't give a fu** if the truck in the left most lane had its parking or hazard lights on. You would brake, much before you could see anything. So do that while you are alive and can do it.

You can blame the others only if you live.

After all we know how we all drive, right?

Last edited by honeybee : 6th May 2018 at 14:02.
honeybee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 14:04   #26263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Agreed. But what if there was a bend right before the truck was parked?
I agree that this is the most dangerous situation, and one that may catch out an otherwise careful driver. But there is an answer: don't drive so fast into bends one can't see around. Even lights may not save us from this one.

These days, even where roads are improving, hazards are only increasing. That elephant could be just around any bend. Or... More likely... A biker chatting on the phone!

One correction to what I said earlier about conditions elsewhere... In UK, motorways have a "hard shoulder" for emergency stops. People who have to use it are advised to get everyone out and away from the carriageway, due to danger. Occasionally rear-endings do happen in that situation.

And a personal note: last time I broke down at night, in an old car, on a British motorway, the battery did not last long and then... No lights. I'm guessing many trucks here have worse batteries than my car! It may not be possible to keep lights on.

But yes, that's wrong too. The vehicle should be in good working order. And the driver should do whatever is necessary to warn others, whether it is an Indian branch or a European highly-reflective red triangle.

Bottom line remains: when we drive we are responsible. We need skills and should drive within them. But who realistically considers themselves anything but a super-skilled driver?

We need to change our mentality to shorten this thread.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th May 2018 at 14:05.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 14:19   #26264
Senior - BHPian

Received these on whatsapp. The auto reportedly T boned the swift VXI. Newly married couple in swift killed. Auto driver's whereabouts unknown.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31521845_1964776680223274_3831104711998570496_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31949641_1964776720223270_9202439693398966272_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31961217_1964776766889932_4754728186233749504_n.jpg
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 14:37   #26265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think the point Thad is trying to make is your and your co travellers' lives must be in your control and mustn't be in control of a moron who doesn't know how to park his vehicle or how to maintain the vehicle or an unfortunate soul who has had an accident and is lying dead under that truck.

The point is you, as the driver of your vehicle, have control over your vehicle.
Quote:
I agree that this is the most dangerous situation, and one that may catch out an otherwise careful driver. But there is an answer: don't drive so fast into bends one can't see around. Even lights may not save us from this one.
That is the truth no one can deny.
But when I said the "moron" should do something to let other's know of the broken down vehicle, I thought I didn't ask much. Anyways, opinions differ.

Quote:
That elephant could be just around any bend.
I will be cautious. Can't ask an elephant to carry tail lights on his back
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed