Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 12:40   #2641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
This means the Jazz is also a weak vehicle. Imagine paying a premium and not having safety. What's the use of ABS & Airbags in a matchbox like this.
Let me assure not even a mercedes will survive this accident. No car is ever tested for this type of accident. So let's not jump to conclusions.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:46   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This means the Jazz is also a weak vehicle. Imagine paying a premium and not having safety. What's the use of ABS & Airbags in a matchbox like this.
I dont think ABS or Airbags for that matter would have helped in a situation like this.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:49   #2643
Senior - BHPian

RIP !!

What a horrible sight !!

At first glace I thought it was an Ambassador, then I read ANHC.

Well the Hondas are pretty light vehicles and not that strong as some other cars. BUT with such a one off strange accident I doubt any car surviving this kind, Maybe an SUV but certainly not a sedan and that too our VFM Sedans.

But as someone said that this is a very wierd accident and all safety norms go for a toss when something like this happens.

Teaches everyone a lesson - not to tailgate speeding container lorries. These guys are driving nightmares.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:58   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I dont think ABS or Airbags for that matter would have helped in a situation like this.
I know. What I meant was that people make a lot of "Hoo-Ha" about ABS and Airbags but don't bother about the car being inherently safe and well built. That why I favour Fiats over the Jap cars. I've seen people walking out of a Uno and Palio after bad crashes with just minor injuries.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:23   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
That why I favour Fiats over the Jap cars. I've seen people walking out of a Uno and Palio after bad crashes with just minor injuries.
You mean like the one mentioned in the same article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOI
His 37-year-old brother, who was with him in the car, survived miraculously with minor injuries.
As viddy mentioned before, no car is tested for this type of accident.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:27   #2646
Distinguished - BHPian

Horrible crash indeed.

My aunt saw this car yesterday morning, near about 6.30-7.00am while she was on her way to Rewari. There was a huge jam cause of this crash. Seemed like it had happened maybe a few hours ago. According to her, the victims were stuck in the car and people were trying to remove the bodies. Read in papers today morning that one survived. Some consolation.

May the departed soul RIP.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:32   #2647
Team-BHP Support

Well, the article says, one person (the businessman's brother) escaped with minor injuries. So, atleast one life was saved.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:35   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
You mean like the one mentioned in the same article?

As viddy mentioned before, no car is tested for this type of accident.
I don't know the exact details of the accidents. But the cars had their front ends smashed. The passenger cabin was intact. In case of Honda, the whole car is a crumple zone.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:45   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know. What I meant was that people make a lot of "Hoo-Ha" about ABS and Airbags but don't bother about the car being inherently safe and well built. That why I favour Fiats over the Jap cars. I've seen people walking out of a Uno and Palio after bad crashes with just minor injuries.
I would love to see the outcome of an accident where a truck loaded with batteries crashes on top of a Uno or a Palio. I'm 100% sure it will be something very similar to this.

Also point to be noted only the driver died. The passenger walked out with minor injuires.

Dude. The whole car is not a crumple zone. Trust me it is not. Only the engine compartment and the boot are crumple zones. Crumple zones are meant to deflect and reduce the amount of energy of the impact so that less of it reaches the occupants of the vehicle. That is why we have them and also why they are called crumple zones. Also point to be noted Honda's have the best pedestrian sfety in their cars and that is why the front folds up the way it does.

Last edited by vikram_d : 20th June 2009 at 13:55.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:56   #2650
Senior - BHPian

A Honda Jazz has a kerb weight of 1119KG. A Palio Stile, 990KG. So what is the Palio built so strongly with, having a metal deficit of nearly 130KG? Titanium? Carbon fiber? Unobtanium?

I want to see a Palio survive a container dropped on it. No car, not even SUVs will survive if a fully loaded container hits them full on. Especially on the move.

Seriously, lay off the juice. Sometimes the FIAT fanboyism around these parts goes to extremes.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 20th June 2009 at 13:58.
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2009, 14:00   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Nobody designs ANYTHING for the freak eventuality!
This one is just a freak accident.
There is NOTHING to learn from this!
Old 20th June 2009, 14:00   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Seriously, lay off the juice. Sometimes the FIAT fanboyism around these parts goes to extremes.
Absolutely agree with this statement.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:03   #2653
BHPian

I guess Indian army should not bother with tanks and stuff. They can just buy Fiats and go to war.

Man Fist fans should not go to such extremes and suggest that a Fiat would have survived the accident easily.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:08   #2654
BHPian

A real unfortunate accident. There isn't much he could have done. May his soul RIP. His brother must have been very lucky to have survived such horrible incident.

Guys, please drive carefully on highways or when these huge killer machines are on the same strech.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:21   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Yes, like someone pointed out it is one of those events nobody can expect or gear up for.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th June 2009 at 14:48. Reason: Taken care of.

Most Viewed