Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:59   #26581
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A person was killed in an accident near Theerthahalli when he rammed his new Swift to a bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swift.jpg  

deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:06   #26582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A person was killed in an accident near Theerthahalli when he rammed his new Swift to a bridge.
Awful.

As a complete guess - This looks like a case where a seatbelt could have saved a life.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:54   #26583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Grand I-10 hits parked lorry, loses structural integrity, all of the family die. Incident happened in state of Telangana. RIP.
I am trying to share the same info with pic. You have shared it in advance.
It is very unfortunate to see the entire family loosing their valuable lives.
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:56   #26584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hence, as a precaution; I decided to let him go as neither I could identify the bus (there are hundreds on them on the route while look exactly same) nor I wanted to take the risk of driving a dmaaged car fast on a narrow hilly road.
It's such a shame that not even one of the passengers on the bus had the decency to get the driver to stop the bus or call the police. Trust me, that driver wouldn't have gotten away if I was a passenger on that bus.
Driving everyday in Himachal, this definitely is one of my nightmares as well and which is why I really like driving at night. Thankfully, you weren't on the cliff side and were able to maneuver ever so slightly out of the way of major harm. Driving daily has even made me a bit lazy about using my horn on every turn, but incidents like yours are a stark reminder on the importance of using the horn even if the noise pollution bothers you.
rdst_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 10:51   #26585
Senior - BHPian

Today morning spotted a toppled Canter on NICE road, no casualties reported.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180624_104249.jpg  

deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 13:01   #26586
Distinguished - BHPian

This was yesterday- Trichy Oyamari road. Not sure how he managed to topple like that, when there is no chances of overspending there
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180622_074457509_hdr.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180622_074451638_hdr.jpg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 09:49   #26587
Senior - BHPian

There was this interesting video on Jalopnik.

Watch the video (all 15 minutes of it) -it is worth it. Go on, I will wait!

They say that the speed limit should be at 85th percentile of the speed that everybody drives at and that the speed limit should the maximum speed where people will be uncomfortable driving at.

I read a long time ago that if a rule is broken by 90% of the people, it is time to change the rule (can't find the quote. Have decided to appropriate the quote for myself !)

If that is the case, then our incipient speed limits should be set a bit more scientifically.
sridhu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:09   #26588
BHPian

Did anybody see the accident in the underpass from Goruguntepalya towards Hebbal, in Bangalore, yesterday evening?
Maruti Zen, climbed the median which is more than a foot high, hit the electric pole sidewise and wrapped itself around the pole. Not sure how a Zen could get to such speeds. Guessing some other heavy vehicle would have rear ended it and threw it up. Couldn't check the rear side of the vehicle, as front side is facing our lane and already too much of crowd. Its around 10.30PM I think.
Old 25th June 2018, 10:15   #26589
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if we strictly an accident but I read today about a bad wall collapse around wadala mumbai (Lloyds parking lot I think). Part of parking lot seems to have caved due to a wall / road collapse and some cars fallen down.

Am overseas so could not find much news info on this except via Whatsapp. Apparently mumbai mirror covered it though.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:09   #26590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
They say that the speed limit should be at 85th percentile of the speed that everybody drives at and that the speed limit should the maximum speed where people will be uncomfortable driving at.
Nice video, although not sure if it totally belongs here but it is by all means "correct".

Here's a personal note on driving on NICE Bangalore for the last few years regularly. Earlier the limit was set at 120 kph and now it is set at 80 kph. This means earlier a person riding a Honda Activa was firstly not allowed, and when they were allowed they stuck to the extreme left lane. The 120 limit scared most of the drivers into driving at 90-110 kph as that is what any reasonable car will do in 5th or 6th gear. Everything moved smoothly with most people not trying to overtake each other. Now that it is 80 kph, most of these are are stuck in 4th or lugging themselves in 5th without much acceleration creating a situation where everyone is in a wrong gear given the ups and downs in the road's elevation. Specially some cars with huge turbo lags.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:37   #26591
Senior - BHPian

Today while coming to office a bike hit me.
Had stopped and was waiting for the road to clear to that I can continue ahead after traffic coming from left clears.

After 2-3 seconds of waiting, a bang and I immediately saw on my right side was a biker on 100cc motor cycle. I was visibly angry but controlled my anger and lowered my window.
Conversation goes on like this:

Me: I was waiting for the traffic to clear so that I could move ahead, you just rammed into my car.

Him: I couldn't brake (and tried to pinpoint since how long he had been braking), there is no damage to the car, but my finger is damaged. I tried hard to brake.

Me : Let me have a look. (Got down and realized that C-pillar panel is dented, Pointing towards the damage on my car). This is the damage, it will definitely cost me some time and money to get it fixed. (My voice was controlled).

I heard Ambulance Sirens, so quickly moved my car. By the time I had parked my car a few meters away, he was gone. Literally flew away I guess.

My car's insurance has to be renewed next month. If I claim insurance, I lose on 20% NCB. Rainy season has set in, I am afraid that the dented portion might quickly catch rust and this might impact my cars' resale value.
Its evident now that I will have to shell out the money myself. Wonder if that bike had functional brakes or insurance. It would still get a free ride across tolled paths and bridges. Sigh. A rough day, will get the car evaluated at FNG tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180625_115037.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180625_115043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180625_115046.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180625_115955.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180625_115959.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 15:46   #26592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Not sure if we strictly an accident but I read today about a bad wall collapse around wadala mumbai (Lloyds parking lot I think). Part of parking lot seems to have caved due to a wall / road collapse and some cars fallen down.
I have Whatssapp forwards of what I think, is the same accident you're talking about. Dunno how dangerous this might be for the building!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1529921644452.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1529921660404.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1529921675909.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1529921689060.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1529921702749.jpg  

pixantz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 16:53   #26593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I have Whatssapp forwards of what I think, is the same accident you're talking about. Dunno how dangerous this might be for the building!

I received similar or same pictures. I believe the building (Lloyds) has had to be evacuated. It is a pretty tall building - about 25 storeys.

I think the Dosti builder is going to be in some trouble because of this.

My friend lives in Dosti acres so gave me a pretty detailed low down.

Shocking how reckless builders can be - they had piled down almost 3 - 4 storeys apparently and clearly without requisite structure support to the adjoining building.

Interesting to see a high end Volvo with a yellow plate. Hanging out.

while as enthusiasts the cars destroyed are obviously sad but there are much more serious issues of course. An Entire building getting un occupiable for the foreseeable future. Not to mention there will very likely be consequences on the market value of these buildings. When a substantial amount of peoples personal wealth is locked in their home this is quite a serious financial consequence. Can erode a large part of lifelong savings.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:53   #26594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Looks more like a Dzire than the swift.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:36   #26595
Senior - BHPian

I too not sure, but it was reported as Swift owned by a Police Constable working in Bangalore.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks