Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 18:55   #26596
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My car's insurance has to be renewed next month. If I claim insurance, I lose on 20% NCB. Rainy season has set in, I am afraid that the dented portion might quickly catch rust and this might impact my cars' resale value. .
Had a very similar incident couple of months back only that the biker tried to overtake me and hit driver side door. Had a dent and puncture of the door skin by the bike crash guard whereas the bike was mostly fine but he had few minor scrapes and his rear passenger hurt his knee when falling down with the bike.

Not only he had no helmet and no rear view mirrors (which is not material to this accident but shows the type of rider), he apparently had no insurance as well. He refused to pay any money, demanded 500Rs. for injuries and repair of handle bar with support of few other people who gathered. I was frustrated and left after the conversation turned heated and me realizing it potentially can turn ugly for me.

I just repaired the car, cost 9k through insurance. I lost 1k deductible and 20% NCB during my renewal this year. It's just the cost of driving in India.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 25th June 2018 at 18:59.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 19:31   #26597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post

I just repaired the car, cost 9k through insurance. I lost 1k deductible and 20% NCB during my renewal this year. It's just the cost of driving in India.
There are always idiots on the road. Very well put that it is the cost of driving in India. For no fault of yours also, you have to claim insurance. Third party insurance is a laborious claim process and takes a lot of time vs. doing via own insurance. Only way out is when the other party is at fault, get them to pay for the insurance difference amount and for the no claim bonus amount
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 19:36   #26598
Senior - BHPian

Opposite the Sangeetha restaurant in Adyar where I was eating just now. Man jaywalking across the road was stepping on the median and slipped, lost his balance and fell back onto the road. Was hit by a car, looks like he died on the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7aec1945cd124becba8ee4cbf7500672.jpeg  

Old 26th June 2018, 19:54   #26599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Opposite the Sangeetha restaurant in Adyar where I was eating just now. Man jaywalking across the road was stepping on the median and slipped, lost his balance and fell back onto the road. Was hit by a car, looks like he died on the spot.

Horrible! Both for the victim and the driver who might not even had any reaction time. This scenario is one of my existential fears when driving in India where pedestrians zip across without a margin for error. I say this exact scenario as an example as part of my ramble to the unfortunate soul in the passenger seat when I drive.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 26th June 2018 at 19:55.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 11:52   #26600
BANNED

Okay gentlemen, did I call Ford India funny? Well, let me drop the bomb this time.

Whoever tells me what's wrong with the car in the photograph posted below (before reading the description) will get an Eclairs from my end:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180623-10.14.55.jpeg

Well, okay; let me tell you guys that my dealer has done a phenomenal job when it comes to work quality, paint matching, fit and finish - I never expected that the post accidental repair can be done with so much finesse until it's some premium vehicle.

That said, when the car was back in my hands, first look and I was aghast

Now it was a Titrend(Titanium + Trend); special thanks to Ford India which sent the driver side headlamp of Titanium trim and the dealership bodyshop guys even installed it too!

It was one heck of a frustrating moment for me as Ford India sends the items based on the chassis number (Like all others) and they made this funny mistake. Anyhow, the dealership guys managed to make sure that I remain calm and composed, rest I also took the car back home refusing to leave it with them for another week. Now the new part has arrived and the car has to visit them again - but yes, I have two questions now:
  • The dealership must have claimed my insurance for a part that is 5000 rupees more expensive than the one that will be affixed in my car, that makes a cool 5000 bucks profit for them out of an insurance scam, shall I do anything in this?
  • Secondly, my car is visiting them again for a fault of Ford India, which makes me pay for fuel for around 60 kms or day 5 liters, why shouldn't Ford India reimburse me the fuel expenses since this is an idiocy at their end?
VKumar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:19   #26601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Now it was a Titrend(Titanium + Trend); special thanks to Ford India which sent the driver side headlamp of Titanium trim and the dealership bodyshop guys even installed it too!
it kind of looks like a Pirate - One of its kind
FORTified is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:22   #26602
BHPian

Quote:
Okay gentlemen, did I call Ford India funny? Well, let me drop the bomb this time.

Whoever tells me what's wrong with the car in the photograph posted below (before reading the description) will get an Eclairs from my end:

I'll admit that I don't deserve an Eclair
Why don't you ask the dealership to repeat their mistake and install a headlamp with the projectors on the left too?
suku_patel_22 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:39   #26603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
it kind of looks like a Pirate - One of its kind
Oh man, you got me so emotional that I have decided to share two more pics of my Johny Depp, even more funny he looks with parking lights ON:

Name:  pirate 1.PNG
Views: 13877
Size:  658.1 KB

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pirate-2.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Why don't you ask the dealership to repeat their mistake and install a headlamp with the projectors on the left too?
This is the best part about them, if my money is on stake, then they will make every kind of mistake but if it's their money then they make sure that the following are all followed:
  • Quality service
  • Rules
  • Principles
  • Efficiency of work
  • Waste reduction

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2018 at 15:13. Reason: Correcting small typos
VKumar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:40   #26604
BHPian

Quote:
I think better to switch the other headlamp as you have already paid for this through insurance. You should ask them to give discount on the other one and enjoy the projectors.

Edit: Projectors are looking awesome in above pic.

Last edited by roby_dk : 27th June 2018 at 12:42.
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 14:08   #26605
BHPian

Quote:

Slightly but this is not the first time Ford India/a Ford dealership has done something like this. About 8 years ago, our family's Ford Ikon 1.3 NXT (2003 model) had rear-ended a Maruti Alto leading to the Front-left headlamp getting smashed. IIRC when we got the car back from the Metro Ford (Bangalore) body shop, the left headlamp was slightly smaller than the one on the right because it was replaced with that of an Ikon 1.6P/1.8D NXT model. This resulted in an ungainly gap near the front grille.
Back then though, headlamps with projectors/DRLs, etc. weren't the norm, so we just decided to live with the little gap and the slightly recessed headlamp.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 00:43   #26606
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Apart from the bad eye replacement, looks like the bonnet shut line is asymmetric, specifically the portion between the headlamps and the grille.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 15:26   #26607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.
Unfortunately another plane crash.

A chartered plane has crashed into a construction site in Ghatkopar, Mumbai.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180628-3.12.44-pm.jpeg

Look at the line of fire flowing down the gutter beside the road:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180628-3.12.41-pm.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180628-3.12.43-pm.jpeg

Source: Whatsapp.

There's also a video taken after the crash, but it's rather graphic.

Quote:
Five people were killed after a small plane crashed into a construction site in a thickly populated suburb of Mumbai this afternoon. The plane was about to land at the Mumbai airport when it crashed some distance away in Ghatkopar, killing all four on board -- two pilots and two maintenance engineers.
A man was also killed on the ground. Two charred bodies have been pulled out by firemen.

According to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation or DGCA, the plane took off from the Juhu airport on a test flight.

NDTV
I have to say, if the pilot had the presence of mind to choose a seemingly deserted building / construction site within a very densely populated area to crash land, that was a commendable move!

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2018 at 15:31.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 21:01   #26608
Senior - BHPian

It's too early to say if the plane was navigable or whether the pilot deliberately steered clear of the crowded areas, or which pilot it was.

There's already some tweet from ex Aviation minister Praful Patel commending the female pilot for having the presence of mind to save lives. Too early.

It's also reported that the aircraft was 3kms away from the main runway and on a direct flight path, as if preparing to land there. The crash made the authorities close the main runway temporarily.

If that's true, the aircraft must have been descending or on its final approach. Not sure how much a pilot could have 'swerved' in such a condition.

This is actually fit for the thread on aircraft rather than road accidents.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 09:29   #26609
Senior - BHPian

This is mostly OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's too early to say if the plane was navigable or whether the pilot deliberately steered clear of the crowded areas, or which pilot it was.
Exactly. Our trigger happy media would dish out anything to make the news sensational and high chance that's the case here too. The Jet Airways incident of 2015 is a good example - the pilots landed (safely) at Thiruvananthapuram after a total of 6 failed attempts due to inclement weather at the alternative destination(s), the media was gungho about the pilots' "presence of mind and courage", while the airline suspended the very same pilots and the DGCA instituted a probe into the incident. Excerpts from the final report filed on 29-Sep-2016:
Quote:
M/s Jet Airways has no company policy pertaining to the number of approaches/missed approaches to be made in inclement weather conditions. After carrying out two go-arounds at Cochin the PIC of 9W-555 re-designated Trivandrum as the alternate Aerodrome in order to gain more holding fuel over and above the planned advisory holding fuel over Cochin. Also the PIC did not value the inputs given by the first officer that at Trivandrum ILS was not available and if the weather drops at Trivandrum, they will be stuck with VOR approaches, however PIC took decision to divert to Trivandrum.The absence of a company policy pertaining to the re-designation of destination alternate during the flight in inclement weather led to the flight crew choosing an alternate, which was probably not the best decision given the available information and the prevailing weather conditions
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
There's already some tweet from ex Aviation minister Praful Patel commending the female pilot for having the presence of mind to save lives. Too early
Most probably to score brownie points, in today's scenario.

Quote:
This is actually fit for the thread on aircraft rather than road accidents.
Agree 100%
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 20:49   #26610
Senior - BHPian

9 human beings in a Baleno, it crashed near Sirohi, Rajasthan. 7 dead and two are seriously injured.

Source

Apparently, driver lost control of the car, car jumped divider onto opposite lane and a truck rammed into the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno-crash-rajasthan.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th June 2018 at 20:52.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed