Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 16:02   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I know. What I meant was that people make a lot of "Hoo-Ha" about ABS and Airbags but don't bother about the car being inherently safe and well built. That why I favour Fiats over the Jap cars. I've seen people walking out of a Uno and Palio after bad crashes with just minor injuries.
I am sure you would agree that none of the fiat cars or for that matter any european, japanese,or any car would be able to withstand this kind of an accident, Of course Fiats are more robust in terms of build in comparison with Honda. Yet this is something even the manufacturers would not have predicted to happen.This is a freak incident.

Consider putting one of our babus car and test in the same manner. They have rock solid cars that they say can go through any abuse,
Old 20th June 2009, 16:23   #2657
BHPian

Indian road scenario is a 'Comedy of Errors'

First culprits in such cases are owners of these trucks, who will hire the cheapest available driver, without bothering for his driving history, training for that particular vehicle and or medical fitness. I have seen truck drivers getting paid as low as 2000 to 2500 per month. They are further told to do as much overloading as possible, to boost profits. Routine maintenance is delayed till the time the truck stops moving. The drivers have to put in long driving hours to reach the destination in time.

Drivers add to the chaos by drinking cheap liquor or handing over the vehicle to 'chhotu - the cleaner' so the boss may take a nap.

Our RTO's and police wallahs do their bit by harassing the drivers to extract money. Once they get their money they will close their eyes to all the irregularities.

So we get a over worked, harassed, drunk and may be medically unfit driver driving a over loaded truck with perhaps faulty tyres, brakes, lights, suspension and what not. On top of that other road users contribute their bit by zig - zagging, triple over taking, honking and all kind of possible nonsense. No road manners, no driving etiquette's by anybody, be it the killer or the victim.

The result is inevitable.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:51   #2658
BANNED

Tch... Tch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
No, that's a NHC and a container dropped onto it.
For more info, I'm attaching the entire article
Poor guy- may his soul rest! May God bless him!
Old 20th June 2009, 21:46   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Indian road scenario is a 'Comedy of Errors'

So we get a over worked, harassed, drunk and may be medically unfit driver driving a over loaded truck with perhaps faulty tyres, brakes, lights, suspension and what not. On top of that other road users contribute their bit by zig - zagging, triple over taking, honking and all kind of possible nonsense. No road manners, no driving etiquette's by anybody, be it the killer or the victim.

The result is inevitable.
You forget to tell the most important quality of a driver that he need to have. The driving/traffic rule. Most of them I believe does not know the all the traffic Signal/ does not have traffic sense.
Our RTO gives license w/o education but only with the money.
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:26   #2660
BHPian

anybody having pix of the red i10 accident near hi-tec city?
its my friends car,3 days back my frend,his girlfriend and 2 others were travelling the car.the person driving the car didnt have any licence ( all of them are 16-17 years old) when they came near rayadugam bypass road the driver wanted to drift and he applied the handbrake at 150kmph speed,while drifting the car hit a stone and toppled over 4 times.my friend and his friend fell out of the car.my friend got serious injuries and fracturec and he's still in the ICU while the other person who fell out of the car died after 1 hour.
nothing happened to the people inside the car.the person who was driving the car got bailed out. because of him, a person lost his life while the other one is battling for his life in the hospital.and the whole car got destroyed
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:30   #2661
BHPian

Really a bad accident near coimbatore yesterday. 12 lives were lost when a truck rammed in to a Tempo Traveller and a IndigoCS.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009062353210501.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2009, 09:39   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
couldnt resist posting this pic !
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Wangor R is it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
a brand new ANHC. Wow a very flat squished one at that.
Just wondered - are there any parameters to measure the MALLEABILITY of Indian cars? The more expensive they are, the more malleable they must be!
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:03   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just wondered - are there any parameters to measure the MALLEABILITY of Indian cars? The more expensive they are, the more malleable they must be!
LOL, it's not the malleability of the cars that is the concern here; what matters more is the malleability of the people inside these squished cars!
Far too many wind up R.I.P.

There must be a more cost effective way to terminate lives.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:10   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas28 View Post
the person who was driving the car got bailed out. because of him, a person lost his life while the other one is battling for his life in the hospital.and the whole car got destroyed
Sorry to hear of this incident. This is why this forum frowns on any such juvenile antics. When will people learn that as a driver, you are not only responsible for your life but of others as well.

No comments on this totally irresponsible driving. Just for a sake of a stunt! God!
My condolence to those who lost their lives.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:53   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
Really a bad accident near coimbatore yesterday. 12 lives were lost when a truck rammed in to a Tempo Traveller and a IndigoCS.
read about this in TOI paper today. Apparently in all 15 people died in that accident! What a sad way to end life
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:50   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
read about this in TOI paper today. Apparently in all 15 people died in that accident! What a sad way to end life
Any idea on the speeds the vehicles were doing? Does the paper say anything about that?
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:08   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anybody having pix of the red i10 accident near hi-tec city?
its my friends car,3 days back my frend,his girlfriend and 2 others were travelling the car.the person driving the car didnt have any licence ( all of them are 16-17 years old) when they came near rayadugam bypass road the driver wanted to drift and he applied the handbrake at 150kmph speed,while drifting the car hit a stone and toppled over 4 times.my friend and his friend fell out of the car.my friend got serious injuries and fracturec and he's still in the ICU while the other person who fell out of the car died after 1 hour.
nothing happened to the people inside the car.the person who was driving the car got bailed out. because of him, a person lost his life while the other one is battling for his life in the hospital.and the whole car got destroyed
I am going to be very direct.
- All of them were 16-17, then who had the license or even common sense to drive??
- If you friend's parents gifted him the car (knowing he's under-aged), then they brought this on themselves.
- I guess the 2 guys thrown out were sitting at the back and most likely not wearing seat-belts. What did they think those belts are for? Fashion accessories??

The under-aged driver maybe at fault but the others made a bad decision in letting him rip the car at those speeds. I hope all of them (who survived) and their parents have learnt an important lesson. Thankfully they learnt it at their own cost & no innocent onlooker/pedestrian was hurt.

I only sympathies are for the family of the person who was killed.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:19   #2668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when they came near rayadugam bypass road the driver wanted to drift and he applied the handbrake at 150kmph speed
Tried to drift the car at 150kmph? It is sad to see lives lost due to such gargantuan stupidity. The driver should be prosecuted for manslaughter, if not muder of his friends.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:33   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Some 15 years ago (when I was 16-17), my dad used to be angry at me (and at mom for allowing me to do this) for going with my under-aged classmate to school on his scooter (he didn't have a license obviously). I used to complain about why he was so critical about that. What am I doing wrong? I am not driving. He is. Today I understand that very very well and know that I too will do the same when my turn comes.

I have another incident(accident) to talk about. It happened about a month ago to my dad's colleague. According to dad, he was a bright guy, married and 2 kids in 8-12 year age group. He, with his family, and his bro-in-laws family were on their way back to Delhi from a weekend trip to Rishikesh. They were travelling in a Tata Safari late in the night (not sure if it was self owned or hired) when they had a head on collision with a truck. My dad's colleague died with severe head injuries. He was sitting in the back seat. His daughter, also on the back seat, had undergone major brain surgery and threat of paralysis was very real. The rest were also in hospital but the airbags did save the lives of front passengers. Not aware of what happened after that.

Most people almost laugh at the thought of wearing seat-belts when in rear seats and many dont lock the doors as well. In case of a big accidents both help!

Note to Mods:
This is another post on purpose as I felt long posts are not always read completely (if I had included this in my previous post).

Last edited by asr245 : 23rd June 2009 at 12:37.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:34   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tried to drift the car at 150kmph? It is sad to see lives lost due to such gargantuan stupidity. The driver should be prosecuted for manslaughter, if not muder of his friends.
Drifting at 150 Kmph is the last thing one should think of. Parents should be more careful if not less before handing over keys to children who are capable of thinking to drift at those high speeds. Now a days parents are hardly aware what their kids are doing. Sad anyway!

Most Viewed