Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:44   #2671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Any idea on the speeds the vehicles were doing? Does the paper say anything about that?
didnt say anything about the exact speed as such. Looks like the lorry was in the wrong direction

Article Window

Last edited by ash_blore : 23rd June 2009 at 13:47. Reason: Adding link
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:50   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
didnt say anything about the exact speed as such. Looks like the lorry was in the wrong direction

Article Window
Read that it was the VAN which collided with lorry while attempting to overtake the Indigo & in the process also hit the car too. Probably the VAN driver would have been taken by 'ego' to complete the overtake & claimed so many lives. If its true, its very very important to let such idiots to complete the overtake & get away from our sight.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:13   #2673
BHPian

Saw this on Mysore road some time back.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-civic1.jpg
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:16   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseem View Post
Saw this on Mysore road some time back.

Attachment 151606
Hmm so the bonnet and the wiper has to be replaced. Everything else looks intact.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:39   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Hmm so the bonnet and the wiper has to be replaced. Everything else looks intact.
Bumper is misaligned, LHS headlight mislaigned, probable underhood damage to the radiator etc.

Most probably the HL and bumper would need to be replaced as the clips would have broken on impact.
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:26   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Drfiting in i10? You don't have to be a genius in physics to know what can happen to a narrow track, high CG hatchback during cornering. By the way, 150 kph is way too fast to drift even in an Evo. And as for the driver being 16 year old kid, the blame rests squarely with parents for letting these kids drive who often over-estimate the limits of car and of themselves.
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:46   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas28 View Post
......bypass road the driver wanted to drift and he applied the handbrake at 150kmph speed,while drifting the car hit a stone and toppled over 4 times.....
Not 3 days ago, 'twas on 16th at the right turn a km beyond Raidurg.
Usually, cars/bikes dart out of that road onto the highway, so much that they almost crash/scratch the road divider whilst turning left onto the highway. (I've almost been hit 2 times. The other problem is the vehicles coming wrong side from the opposite direction on the highway to avoid taking the long u turn, double problem at a T junction) So, i assumed that this one just another car that was zooming that had to brake suddenly.

'twas the the third time in 2 weeks that I got to call 108 on that road but the first time that someone had already called them before me. Initially looked like some film-shooting going on that turn by the highway. The road had turned into more like a mall-parking lot, which otherwise is pretty desolate. Just saw 2 people, both had been pulled out laid on the rocky ground beside the car. They definitely didn't look like 16-17 year olds.

Attaching some pics taken whilst I was passing by. A couple of that day and two taken day before yesterday, where its parked 2 km down the road at the PS.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16062009133.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16062009137.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16062009139.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-23062009149.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-23062009150.jpg  

Last edited by gendarmee : 23rd June 2009 at 20:59. Reason: reducing quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:42   #2678
Team-BHP Support

Imagine - if they wore seat belts, they had a chance!
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:44   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas28 View Post
anybody having pix of the red i10 accident near hi-tec city?
the person driving the car didnt have any licence ( all of them are 16-17 years old) when they came near rayadugam bypass road the driver wanted to drift and he applied the handbrake at 150kmph speed,while drifting the car hit a stone and toppled over 4 times.my friend and his friend fell out of the car.my friend got serious injuries and fracturec and he's still in the ICU while the other person who fell out of the car died after 1 hour.
nothing happened to the people inside the car.the person who was driving the car got bailed out. because of him, a person lost his life while the other one is battling for his life in the hospital.and the whole car got destroyed
Great.
Parents allow underage kids to drive cars. Why ? Can somebody answer this specific question.

What is the end result of this 150 kmph drifting ( effect of ads also can make influence ) in a tall boy I10 which is itself not a car with chassis capable of that stuff. Someone just 16-17 years old losing life. One other in critical condition in ICU. Think of the parents of the guy who lost his life.
When will all this end ? Lack of common sense or what I dont know, this is a disastrous move.

Hope atlesat those who survived learn a lesson out of this along with their parents.

IMHO, the perosn who was driving the car and his parents need to be punished. And punished hard. This was drifting, but think of other road users also, their safety was too at risk. And the guy driving the car is responsible for other's death too.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:26   #2680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Parents allow underage kids to drive cars. Why ?

IMHO, the perosn who was driving the car and his parents need to be punished. And punished hard.
Quite right. A law should be enacted that if an underage driver causes an accident, his/her parents should immediately be put behind bars. Then see how many parents dare to let their kids drive.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:29   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Quite right. A law should be enacted that if an underage driver causes an accident, his/her parents should immediately be put behind bars. Then see how many parents dare to let their kids drive.
Good point! Not only accidents but even if caught otherwise. Why wait for some accident.Those pictures are horrific.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:43   #2682
Senior - BHPian

That red i10 car is the top end 1.1 magna (O) with ABS
(the small black oval sticker on the tailgate) and dual airbags. Looking at the pic it seems that the airbags have deployed (part of the dash popping out) but the big question-were the passengers wearing seat belts?

Drifting at 150 kmph and testing the safety features of the car was a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:50   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Most of the Korean and Japanese vehicles are light weight and of flimsy build, but most of European cars, especially German ones, are built stronger.

But no car will survive an unfortunate accident like this.

Sadly we see so many accidents on roads, but refuse to learn any lessons and do not take any preventive actions. This is true for the Govt., police and public - in fact everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Let me assure not even a mercedes will survive this accident. No car is ever tested for this type of accident. So let's not jump to conclusions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I dont think ABS or Airbags for that matter would have helped in a situation like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I know. What I meant was that people make a lot of "Hoo-Ha" about ABS and Airbags but don't bother about the car being inherently safe and well built. That why I favour Fiats over the Jap cars. I've seen people walking out of a Uno and Palio after bad crashes with just minor injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would love to see the outcome of an accident where a truck loaded with batteries crashes on top of a Uno or a Palio. I'm 100% sure it will be something very similar to this.

Also point to be noted only the driver died. The passenger walked out with minor injuires.

Dude. The whole car is not a crumple zone. Trust me it is not. Only the engine compartment and the boot are crumple zones. Crumple zones are meant to deflect and reduce the amount of energy of the impact so that less of it reaches the occupants of the vehicle. That is why we have them and also why they are called crumple zones. Also point to be noted Honda's have the best pedestrian sfety in their cars and that is why the front folds up the way it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
A Honda Jazz has a kerb weight of 1119KG. A Palio Stile, 990KG. So what is the Palio built so strongly with, having a metal deficit of nearly 130KG? Titanium? Carbon fiber? Unobtanium?

I want to see a Palio survive a container dropped on it. No car, not even SUVs will survive if a fully loaded container hits them full on. Especially on the move.

Seriously, lay off the juice. Sometimes the FIAT fanboyism around these parts goes to extremes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I guess Indian army should not bother with tanks and stuff. They can just buy Fiats and go to war.

Man Fist fans should not go to such extremes and suggest that a Fiat would have survived the accident easily.

Lets not get into this brand war between Europeans and Asians w.r.t the safety aspect. most Asian cars are now better built to withstand impact and distribute it evenly. Same goes for the Europeans. But each car has its limit. Even the safest of cars like VW, BMW, Merc and Audi/ Volvo have broken into 2 pieces due to violent impacts, killing passengers.

Abs/ airbags are inbuilt safety devices that work to minimise injuries, not necessarily save life. if the seatbelts are not worn, the airbags may deploy but the pretensioners will not work properly, a device which minimises injury.Moreover, toppling a car at 150 kmph, and some crashing in 200-250 + kmph, people are testing the car's limits beyond its capabilities.

Its like flying an airplane beyond its recommended flying time, and a long one at that.Testing the fuselage's capabilities beyond recommended flights often causes extreme stress and metal fatigues often leading to explosive decompression and eventually, crashes.

A car is built of steel bodypanels/ aluminium/ sheetmetal etc, which varies depending upon its size, weight and safety standards. As standards become more higher, more extra reinforcements are required and cars are becoming heavier. But also, care has to be taken for the ever increasing fuel economy regulations which need the cars to be lighter, only possible with the use of expensive aluminium.All have their own limits. And if people want to test the extremes, only god can save them, the manufacturers cannot.

This talks about utter irresponsibility of the parents (if the I10 facts are true) to hand over a light tallboy to underaged teens and then not having control over them, leading to accidents. Before blaming these passengers, its the parents to blame who encourage the kids to drive without the license (which, of course is as easy to get as a result of corruptible forces prevailing in our traffic system).

Want proof?

Go to the "bad wrecks" in the website:Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks

Last edited by sidindica : 23rd June 2009 at 23:02.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:45   #2684
BHPian

This i10 car owner should be behind the bar, its like a murder. Threat to common people.
Is it a AXE effect added with a GIRL effect
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:52   #2685
BHPian

It didnt happen 3 days ago, it happened exactly a week ago. Looking at where it happened, it didn't seem to be a drift attempt at 150kmph NOR did the 2 injured occupants seem to be 16-17 year olds.
shreyas28: You could probably get more details.

Last edited by gendarmee : 23rd June 2009 at 23:59.

Most Viewed