Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 08:23   #26986
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this on a facebook group.
One of the two riders involved was waiting on a flyover talking on phone. The other one with a baby and a women banged into him.
Link to the video

Photo has been taken from the same group.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1534819770469.jpg  

Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 09:12   #26987
BHPian

Oh wow. The kid, who seemed ok enough at the end of the video, must thank his stars as he clearly cannot thanks his imbecile parents at the end of this ordeal.
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 09:41   #26988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
One of the two riders involved was waiting on a flyover talking on phone. The other one with a baby and a women banged into him.
Link to the video

It is the Pune-Bangalore Highway near Nelamangala.

When I saw this video Yesterday for the first time, initially I thought, that's a usual wrong-overtake type of accident and the bike is just running away. Only at the end I saw that there was a kid and I was like
I've heard of a popular belief that kids generally escape unhurt in accidents where adults are badly injured. These type of videos make me also believe such things.

The Scooter guy probably would've thought that it is not good to talk on phone while riding and better to stop and receive the call. He chose the wrong place and wrong time!

What can I saw about the motorbike guy. Idiot!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st August 2018 at 09:43.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:07   #26989
Senior - BHPian

I have seen such reckless bikers busy on their phones with complete disregard to their own safety and that of others. One instance was a biker parked on the road just after a narrow bridge on a turn in the night. A Bolero pickup driving ahead of me missed him by whiskers.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:11   #26990
BHPian

This is exactly why the guy driving the truck keeps to the Right Most lane or Centre. It's wrong, but it is far more convenient than avoiding or running over a two wheeler driver talking on a cell phone.

And equally amazed at how much distance the bike could cover with the kid still on it. The gradual reduction in speeds is what probably saved the day from an even bigger tragedy.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:21   #26991
BHPian

Quote:
Link to the video

Does one have to have a Facebook account to view a (link) video that's posted here? I ask since Facebook asks me to authenticate myself.
Old 21st August 2018, 10:25   #26992
Distinguished - BHPian

It's almost like the bike took the kid slowly to safety and delivered him/her on the soft grass bank .

But really I can't imagine what's the great hurry to overtake three lanes of vehicles from the extreme left?!! I see regular commuter bikers becoming so impatient behind me on big four lane highways esp when there are two slow trucks side by side and I am waiting for a gap to open up, so that I can overtake. They try to squeeze in between me and the trucks, like I am holding them up or something . What's the great hurry? Is it so hardwired into their brains that they have to squeeze through every small gap they see?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st August 2018 at 10:31.
Santoshbhat is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:54   #26993
BHPian

Quote:
Both of these guys are at fault here.
Talking over the phone while parking your scooter on one of the lane (be it left most lane), I wonder if the phone call was THAT important?

Was the motorbike guy thinking "Aaj kuchh toofani karte hain"?

Seriously, when you've got a kid and wife along with you, can't you drive safely? What was the hurry?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st August 2018 at 11:21. Reason: Formatting
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:20   #26994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It's almost like the bike took the kid slowly to safety and delivered him/her on the soft grass bank .

But really I can't imagine what's the great hurry to overtake three lanes of vehicles from the extreme left?!! I see regular commuter bikers becoming so impatient behind me on big four lane highways esp when there are two slow trucks side by side and I am waiting for a gap to open up, so that I can overtake. They try to squeeze in between me and the trucks, like I am holding them up or something . What's the great hurry? Is it so hardwired into their brains that they have to squeeze through every small gap they see?
The issue here is most two wheelers (and cabbies and generally anyone who tries to squeeze themselves in gaps or tailgates) are extremely short sighted.

They only see the immediate traffic and vehicles in front of them, and cannot see beyond. It's their life-goal and mission to get ahead of the vehicle right in front of them at any cost.

What they lack is foresight. They don't realise that they can effect a cleaner, faster and safer overtake maneuver if they hang back and assess all vehicles ahead of them and plan their move accordingly.

End of rant.
suhaas307 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:51   #26995
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What worries me is more and more parents with their kids on ride carrying out this circus day in and day out. The kids do start to believe that this is right thing to do, right way to drive and completly missing out the importance of safety, planning required for overtake maneuver. When they graduate to drive 4-wheelers, they carry forward the same mentality and become more dangerous to other road users.

While police and law agencies can improve the situations with heavy fines and other actions, at the end it is the rider/driver who needs to be responsible. Police and agencies can't monitor every move.

Getting frustrated seeing more and more under powered vehicles with senseless drivers on intercity rides/freeways/highways with complete lack of respect for law of physics and other fellow users.

I think only way to improve the situation is to have a subject on driving and safety in high-school and 10+ grades irrespective of specialization and ensure that every one needs to pass to get license. As long as this is part of the board exams, noway for these kids to bypass the learnings and passing of this subject before getting license.

Last edited by manjubp : 21st August 2018 at 11:52.
manjubp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:21   #26996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But really I can't imagine what's the great hurry to overtake three lanes of vehicles from the extreme left?!!
One thing I've realised is, many simply fail to understand highways.
Most on commuter and other bikes ride on the highways just like they would within the city. Tailgating,honking,cutting lanes etc, cabbies do it too, but there's a metal cafe to protect them.

They don't understand that most vehicles are at higher speeds, braking distances longer and what may be a bruise/fracture within city limits will most probably be loss of limb/serious injury or worse death.

And yes, most don't wear helmets either. Its time to have dedicated lanes for two-wheelers on highways.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 21st August 2018 at 12:22.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:15   #26997
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand how the speeding 2-wheeler didn't see the 2 wheeler stopped on the left side? Its not that his vision has been hindered by some big vehicle in the front.

While the parents would have been quite injured, glad that the kid survived!

I guess its also important that we don't take the phone call anywhere, even if we are at the leftmost end of the road.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:43   #26998
Senior - BHPian

Hope the parents learn a lesson and the video is used as a demo for 2 wheeler riders who follow such riding practices.

The motorcycle appeared to be controlled by divine forces as it slowed down and rolled perfectly in a grass patch, had the truck stopped or slowed down even a bit, the bike would have crashed on the road.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 14:06   #26999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
While the parents would have been quite injured, glad that the kid survived!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hope the parents learn a lesson and the video is used as a demo for 2 wheeler riders who follow such riding practices.
I'd like to add that the reason for parents falling off, is because sari clad pillions can only sit sideways on a bike, they are less secured on the seat and are prone to falling off.

Also if y'all might have noticed. It seemed like the mum, because of my aforementioned point, has in a way "German suplexed" the dad off the bike because she was trying to grab on for support.

The child however was properly seated with both legs on either side and gripping the center of the handlebars. That's why she safely fell on to the grass.

How the bike managed to avoid that truck, and what if the child was sitting on the mothers lap sideways like we see on many other occasions? I dont know,Could've been a much worse scene.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2018 at 07:18. Reason: Formatting
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 14:09   #27000
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible that the kid was controlling the bike? The brake lights are lit up and bike is steering towards the grass. It's not improbable that this is not his first time riding in front with his dad. Maybe he learned some things.
samaspire is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks