Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 10:58   #27046
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Recently a friend of mine visited me in Dubai and asked me how fast my 4Wd can go, i told him 4WD vehicles are not about speed but offroad capabilities!

But in India we have SUVs and most of them are NOT 4WD! Its the speed we all love in India and the bigger the vehicle faster it is driven.

SUVs with their high center of gravity, is the worst vehicle for speeding or racing. Add the lack of driving capabilities of the driver and we have a perfect mismatch of unstable vehicles and untrained drivers in India.

No wonder INDIANS lead the charts in Dubai too when it comes to accidents, followed closely by our neighbor, Pakistan!

Safety is not a criteria for us Indians, to save money, mothers sit with infants in their arms at the rear seat and not buy a child seat in the UAE!

Imagine in a country where vehicle drivers still have accidents with trains, what safety or driving skills we follow!

Drive Safe.
Parm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 11:02   #27047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Apparently the Fortuner in which Harikrishna was traveling was over speeding when the driver lost control and jumped the median. He wasn't wearing seatbelt, which explains why his body is some distance away.

The NTR family had already lost a son in an accident previously. Also Telugu actor Jr. NTR (Harikrishna's son) was involved in a near-fatal accident some years ago.
Is it because of the fact that he was not wearing seat belts, that the air bags did not deploy ?.
Old 29th August 2018, 11:08   #27048
Senior - BHPian

Wow, train hitting a car!

Typical blame on the Bigger train hitting a small car. The reporter/the newspaper blaming the Train rather than the driver of the vehicle.

Our mentality needs to change about safety and priorities of driving with safety.

Did the train come off the train tracks and hit the car? NO. The accident happened because of the fault of the vehicle driver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpeg

Source: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...innasalem.html

Mod Note : No uploading scans of copyrighted print material please.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2018 at 08:28. Reason: Adding image, source.
Parm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 11:35   #27049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
NTR's son Harikrishna passes away in road accident
Feel sad for the family. But few points that I see.
1. Complete disregard for safety - No seat-belts worn evident from the fact that he was thrown out of the car. He had lost his own son 4 years ago to an accident and still doesn't wear seatbelts!!!
2. Bad driving- For such a huge car to overturn many times, it should have been travelling at high speeds. And it must've been a really bad judgment of overtaking too.
3. Only celebrities are important - The other vehicle coming in the opposite direction has paid for no fault of his. Imagine his plight when this monster of a vehicle comes suddenly from the opposite direction and hits! he/she must've sustained severe injuries and probably may have died too. Yet I don't see anything reported about it and people feel sad only for the occupant of the erring vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Wow, train hitting a car!

Typical blame on the Bigger train hitting a small car. The reporter/the newspaper blaming the Train rather than the driver of the vehicle.

Our mentality needs to change about safety and priorities of driving with safety.

Did the train come off the train tracks and hit the car? NO. The accident happened because of the fault of the vehicle driver.
I don't think the report (or anyone) has blamed the train. Whether the train came out of it's way or the car was in the train's way, the truth is that the "train hit the car". In fact in the report it is written that even after sufficient warnings, the car driver crossed the track and that was the reason for the accident. so IMO the report has put the blame on the car driver only.
hemanth.anand is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:01   #27050
BHPian

Quote:
Can't find anything in the article that puts the blame on the train. In fact, they reported that the gate attendant tried to warn the car driver but he went ahead with the crossing anyways.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:34   #27051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Apparently the Fortuner in which Harikrishna was traveling was over speeding when the driver lost control and jumped the median. He wasn't wearing seatbelt, which explains why his body is some distance away.

The NTR family had already lost a son in an accident previously. Also Telugu actor Jr. NTR (Harikrishna's son) was involved in a near-fatal accident some years ago.
Due respect to the lost live(s). The article says he left Banjara Hills @ 430 am and expected to reach kavali @ 830 am. A distance of 400 kms in 4 hours time, is an obscene expectation. To achieve an average speed of 100kms in Indian roads it requires maximum speeds of about 140-160 kph. It is a suicide mission to start with, and he paid with his life for the same.
aadya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:42   #27052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I am quite un-knowledgeable about the safety aspects of cars when it comes to the pillars supporting the roof. Is it reasonable to expect the pillars to hold, so that the roof doesn't cave in when a car rolls over? What are the safety norms by and large with respect to the pillars?
Definitely the roof and the pillars play a key part in the overall safety of the car.
This is one of the reasons most SUVs come with ribbed structure for the roof which adds strength.
Also the A and C pillars of the modern car are much thicker and affect visibility more than their predecessors and this improves the safety quotient multiple times.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 16:35   #27053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Can't find anything in the article that puts the blame on the train. In fact, they reported that the gate attendant tried to warn the car driver but he went ahead with the crossing anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Feel sad for the family. But few points that I see.
1. Complete disregard for safety - No seat-belts worn evident from the fact that he was thrown out of the car. He had lost his own son 4 years ago to an accident and still doesn't wear seatbelts!!!
2. Bad driving- For such a huge car to overturn many times, it should have been travelling at high speeds. And it must've been a really bad judgment of overtaking too.
3. Only celebrities are important - The other vehicle coming in the opposite direction has paid for no fault of his. Imagine his plight when this monster of a vehicle comes suddenly from the opposite direction and hits! he/she must've sustained severe injuries and probably may have died too. Yet I don't see anything reported about it and people feel sad only for the occupant of the erring vehicle

I don't think the report (or anyone) has blamed the train. Whether the train came out of it's way or the car was in the train's way, the truth is that the "train hit the car". In fact in the report it is written that even after sufficient warnings, the car driver crossed the track and that was the reason for the accident. so IMO the report has put the blame on the car driver only.
The truth is "Train hits the car" but is misleading and could have been put in a more simpler way. That is my personal opinion and if some members have different opinion, i respect their opinion.
Old 29th August 2018, 16:48   #27054
BHPian

Quote:
The truth is "Train hits the car" but is misleading and could have been put in a more simpler way. That is my personal opinion and if some members have different opinion, i respect their opinion.
"Train hits the car" is grammatically correct as the train must have T-boned the car and not the other way round. But the text no way implies the train to be at fault.

Almost all such incidents are reported like that ("train hits XYZ").
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 16:58   #27055
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
But in India we have SUVs and most of them are NOT 4WD! Its the speed we all love in India and the bigger the vehicle faster it is driven.

SUVs with their high center of gravity, is the worst vehicle for speeding or racing. Add the lack of driving capabilities of the driver and we have a perfect mismatch of unstable vehicles and untrained drivers in India.

Imagine in a country where vehicle drivers still have accidents with trains, what safety or driving skills we follow!
Can't agree with you more.

I am unable to understand the Indian craziness for SUV and Speed at the same time. More and more car buyers are going in for SUV, but most of them ignore the limitation.

Almost always (exception like XC90..) an sedan is less prone to rolling over compare to an SUV in same price/segment, for scenarios like sudden braking, high speed cornering, hitting a pathhole, jumping over a unexpected hump, sharp maneuvering, sudden breaking on gravels, tyre burst, etc conditions. These conditions/scenarios are so common, normal an any highway drive in India.
Old 29th August 2018, 17:09   #27056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As rightly pointed out by many, the train did hit the car. That is grammatically and situation-wise correct. The article content is quite straightforward and reflecting the on-ground situation in terms of the car being at fault.

All 4-5 bhpians have pointed out the obvious; and clearly the writer doesn't require any mentality change; at most maybe he could be a lil more good in his english maybe?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th August 2018 at 17:11.
Old 29th August 2018, 17:38   #27057
BHPian

In the last five years, I have come across at least three celebrity deaths with the following combinations:
Toyota Fortuner + no seatbelt + high speed crash + rollover + death of the driver

I feel, people have to be educated about the strengths and weaknesses of their SUVs.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 17:38   #27058
Senior - BHPian

This is the image of the car hit by Hari Krishna's car.

All the passengers are injured, but were out of danger as per the tv reports.

TV channels report that the driver saw the flying Fortuner and turned their vehicle into road side bushes and was hit partially.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180829wa0004.jpg  

simplyself is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 17:58   #27059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Due respect to the lost live(s). The article says he left Banjara Hills @ 430 am and expected to reach kavali @ 830 am. A distance of 400 kms in 4 hours time, is an obscene expectation. To achieve an average speed of 100kms in Indian roads it requires maximum speeds of about 140-160 kph.
Lot of people take pride in reaching destinations in very quick times like it's a race. Even my family and relatives ask me why it takes me 2hrs 15 mins for a 130km drive when I'm traveling by 'a car'. The entire stretch's maximum allowed speed is 80kmph and considering traffic and 3 tolls, it's a fair time. They see people brag that they have done this distance in less than 90 mins and so think it's normal for cars to do these times, speed limits and safety be damned.
Yieldway17 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 18:50   #27060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
NTR's son Harikrishna passes away in road accident

Harikrishna sustained critical head injuries when the car in which he was travelling along with two other overturned while overtaking another vehicle near Anneparthi
The vehicle hit the divider and collided with another vehicle coming from the opposite direction.

Attachment 1794248

I saw a headline about this, first time I'm seeing these pictures.

As a pure petrolhead, I have to say that the Fortuner seems to have held up well - the passenger cell seems mostly intact (apart from the right A-pillar being bent/broken, the doors all seem to be in their frames, there doesn't seem to be any intrusion.

One can only wonder if the outcome would have been different if people were properly buckled up.

Most Viewed