Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2018, 16:54   #27091
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
...... The school bus from opposite lane tried a U-Turn and the car seems to have spotted it late.
The car crashed into the rear side sheet metal panels of the bus, which being relatively softer cushioned the impact on the car to a significant extent.

Wearing seatbelts could have minimized injuries to the front passenger and rear occupants.

Thankfully, the car missed the extremely rigid rear axle by a whisker. Had the car collided into the bus wheel/axle, the impact on the car would have been extremely grim.

There is no excuse for the driver to take that illegal U-turn jumping the divider, unfortunately breaking rukes is the harsh reality on our roads, so defensive driving is the key for ensuring safety.

In this case, the presence of all those shrubs and plants on the divider would have definitely hampered the view of the car driver from spotting the crossing bus on time.

Drivers should use the lane closest to the divider only for overtaking purpose and return back to the left or middle lane and should refrain from driving continuously on the right most lane, doing so significantly increases the risk of hitting/jumping across the divider or incidents such as the one discussed above.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 1st September 2018 at 17:16.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 18:20   #27092
BHPian

Another disaster caused by vehicle parked in NH

Seven people were killed while 30 passengers have been injured after two buses collided on the Salem-Bengaluru National Highway at Mamangam city on Saturday, September 1, 2 AM.

The police said that a private bus which was on its way to Dharmapuri collided with an omni bus moving to Palakkad from Bengaluru. After trying to avoid contact with a stationary van, the omni bus turned upside down due to the impact of the head on collision with the bus coming in the opposite direction while overtaking the van.

Seven people, including two women, travelling in the omni bus were killed on the spot. RIP.

Over 30 injured passengers, including 11 women, were taken to the hospital.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1522815123_roadaccidentbus.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpeg

Last edited by ravradha : 1st September 2018 at 18:25. Reason: Add details
Old 1st September 2018, 19:20   #27093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Another disaster caused by vehicle parked in NH
Seven people were killed while 30 passengers have been injured after two buses collided on the Salem-Bengaluru National Highway at Mamangam city on Saturday, September 1, 2 AM.
The first picture in the post is not part of the accident reported.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 20:03   #27094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
trucks parked on the left lane on some of the bridges everyday; some on the up incline and some just after the up.A car can barely make out that this vehicle is standstill, as it looks like moving slow.
No, "It looked as if it was moving slowly" is not an excuse. But I have some sympathy for a driver who runs into something parked on the other side of a hill. I suppose we just have to add that to the list of stupid things to expect
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 15:45   #27095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The correct and more logical way to put it is "Car collides with train", that way the cognitive bias of the reader is against the car. "Train hits the car" is equivalent to saying "Pedestrian hits a car and dies". As far as language goes, the one thing that had a choice in the matter should come first.
Thank you very much Shubhodeepdas for your reply on my comments. I really appreciate your support and trying to understand what i meant in my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I guess the driver wanted to see if the GHOST can Fly!

No matter how expensive the vehicle is, the common sense to drive it does not come with it!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2018 at 19:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 16:03   #27096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The correct and more logical way to put it is "Car collides with train", that way the cognitive bias of the reader is against the car. "Train hits the car" is equivalent to saying "Pedestrian hits a car and dies". As far as language goes, the one thing that had a choice in the matter should come first.
Actually no. When we say A collided with B; default expectation is A is on the movement and crashing/hitting B (can be stationary or moving). For e.g.

- Two trains collided head-on in north-eastern Germany early this morning
- Racing up the stairs, he almost collided with Daisy
- He collided with a pine tree near the North Gate.

If the car had gone and hit the train engine; then "Car collides with train" would be the right way to put it.

Using your other example ""Pedestrian hits a car", an appropriate example for that would be the below video (at 30th second onwards)

P.s. Btw this is really OT; better on the English thread than here. Apologies mods, kindly delete if needed

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd September 2018 at 16:04.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:17   #27097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Even my family and relatives ask me why it takes me 2hrs 15 mins for a 130km drive when I'm traveling by 'a car'.
Please do not tell them, you are an enthusiast. Because sometimes being an enthusiast means [to few people] in reaching Point A to Point B in the least possible time.

Sometimes we do floor or twist the throttle, but we people anticipate, don't take risk [forget calculated risk, that is for investment and not with your & co-users life out on the road].

I take pride in reaching my destination without any incidents, without any road rage and without much damage to my cars [redlining or taking that detour in your SUV is good, you are an enthusiast for heaven's sake] and that is it. Keeping your ride in shape is one of the trait of an enthusiast.
Sheel is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:58   #27098
Senior - BHPian

Five members of a family were feared drowned after the driver lost control of the car and fell into Dikhow river in upper Assam’s Sivasagar district on 1st Sep evening. After two days of search SDRF, NDRF and local people could not locate the vehicle, so a naval divers team from Visakhapatnam was airlifted on 3rd Sep afternoon to assist in search operation on request of district/state administration.

Search on in river for family of five

Navy divers roped in to assist search for drowned family in Dikhow river in Assam
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 06:17   #27099
BHPian

I was involved in a minor accident on Saturday. Wanted to share my experience. Was travelling from Tiruppur to Pazhani in my dad's wagon r and we were in Dharapuram town. The roads were regular 2 lanes state highways and traffic was pretty heavy but not causing any jams. I was driving and speed was around 30 to 40kms/hr. Almost all vehicles were tailing closely. There was a TN Government bus in front of me. All of a sudden he swerved to the left and i heard a loud bang!! Before i could stop the car, i was almost close to banging the wagon r. I swerved to the right and could stop with minimum damages to the car. The left bumper got dislodged and the there were many dents here and there. Just as we were recovering, we saw people rushing out from the TN bus and were boarding other cars to rush to hospital. Many people were injured. The cause of the accident - another TN local bus decided to stop abruptly and the lorry behind him had to break abruptly. The TN Govt bus in front of us was behind this lorry. If the bus didnt swerve to the left, it would have been fatal. The bus had heavy damages as the front portion was smashed and glasses broken. No deaths thankfully.
sairamboko is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 17:43   #27100
BHPian

Portion of a flyover in Calcutta is crashed down. Pics are received in WhatsApp.

News link:

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...w/65671674.cms

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0012.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0016.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0011.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0013.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180904wa0014.jpg

Video link:

Last edited by cp171185 : 4th September 2018 at 17:45. Reason: Adding content
cp171185 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:30   #27101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Portion of a flyover in Calcutta is crashed down. Pics are received in WhatsApp.

News link:

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...w/65671674.cms
This looks like one of not so older bridges. God save this country. We must thank god everyday when and If we reach to our loved ones, alive & in one piece.
Old 4th September 2018, 19:04   #27102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
This looks like one of not so older bridges.
While no doubt authority should have examined the structural strength on a regular basis but this is one of the oldest over bridges in the city.
Old 4th September 2018, 19:40   #27103
BHPian

There are electrified railway lines under the bridge. I shudder to imagine the magnitude of damage had that portion of the flyover collapsed and the live wires came in contact with metal or, worse yet, vehicles and people.

Safety in general is not one of the highest priorities in this country. The engineers turn a blind eye to minute faults or sometimes misreport the severity. Case in point - this. The arrests made in the light of that incident were just an eyewash to deflect blame from actual culprits. That is exactly how it is supposed to work, isn't it?
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 19:56   #27104
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one of the biggest fears I have when I drive on bridges and flyovers. More so when my vehicle is stationary on it and vehicles in the other direction are moving, causing the bridge to vibrate. How unfortunate are those people present there at that time. Like always the people responsible for the construction and maintenance will roam scot free.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 20:20   #27105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
There are electrified railway lines under the bridge. I shudder to imagine the magnitude of damage had that portion of the flyover collapsed and the live wires came in contact with metal or, worse yet, vehicles and people.
Very true, but seems train service is already resumed after a halt of a while. Means, hopefully no such incident happened. Thank god.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks