Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2018, 21:45   #27241
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Scary stuff but these type of things are more likely to happen in places where you regularly park because you take the space around you for granted and reverse out of habit. The reverse parking sensors and camera can be a lifesaver at times, especially the parking sensors.
More than the sensor, people need proper driving habits and common sense.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 23:52   #27242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
.. Both front airbags deployed, but passenger was not wearing seatbelt as the windscreen was shattered on the passenger side..
The position of the passenger airbag is such that when it opens, the windscreen is shattered at that point/location. I've seen such positioning of passenger airbag in many cars, even in my Nissan Micra XV CVT. Is this intentional or a safety feature so that the windscreen can be opened in case of emergency because of opening of passenger airbag. Experts, need your opinion on this.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 04:30   #27243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
The position of the passenger airbag is such that when it opens, the windscreen is shattered at that point/location. I've seen such positioning of passenger airbag in many cars, even in my Nissan Micra XV CVT. Is this intentional or a safety feature so that the windscreen can be opened in case of emergency because of opening of passenger airbag. Experts, need your opinion on this.
The driver airbag is closer to the driver because it deploys out of the steering wheel. On the other hand, the passenger airbag is sized larger, to be able to reach the passenger from the dashboard. Due to this size and position difference you notice that this airbag is the one that often breaks the windshield on deployment.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 05:53   #27244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Mid of night, cops flag a car. Instead of stopping, the car hits the cops' bike. Cops fire, the driver is killed. Cops are sacked and the murder charges are filed against them. Appears like the victim's family is well connected.
My thoughts exactly.

I really liked the way UK handled accidentally killing an innocent suspected of being one of the terrorists in the London bombings: they acknowledged the mistake, apologised and moved on.

If the police chief does not back its own, how will any policeman take initiative? And the media is surprised when 2 policemen do not do any thing when someone was hacked in Hyderabad on a busy street.

On another note, just got this image on WhatsApp regarding an accident at Kundalahalli signal, towards Whitefield.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180930wa0002.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2018 at 12:02. Reason: Corrected location.
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 10:16   #27245
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/66012317.cms

1. 12+ persons travel in a 8 or 9 seater Scorpio.
2. Stationary lorry on the road probably without any warning lights.
3. Time of incident: 5am.
Drivers will be most drowsy by 4-6am in an overnight journey.
4. Less than 30km more to reach home in a 350km journey. The last leg of the journey is mostly where people drive the fastest and relatively careless as they are familiar and confident with roads closer to home and eager to reach home soon.

Result: 8 persons died when the Scorpio rammed into the rear of the stationary lorry near Trichy, Tamilnadu.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 11:25   #27246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

2. Stationary lorry on the road probably without any warning lights.
This behavior is notorious around roadside eateries and restaurants on this road. There are lot of such hotspots on this entire highway.

I have this view that restaurants and any shops on highways which doesn't provide adequate parking so that drivers can park their vehicles should be closed. My friend has a more extreme view that in case of accidents caused by such vehicles parked in front of roadside shop without parking space, the shop also should be made liable.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 15:02   #27247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Received this video as a Whatsapp forward. The kid is really lucky to survive this incident and seems none of the other kids has seen this. Also, the lady is oblivious to this and doesn't seem to feel anything under the car and drove away normally.
Fused right headlamp .

Door not closed properly - a major hazard to passing vehicles.

Fails to even identify that her car ran over something and I am granting her a massive benefit of doubt here that she didn't visually identify she had ran over a child.

Didn't stop to check.

An incredibly callous person at its most innocent and a remorseless sociopath at its worst. Should never be allowed on street and also face criminal charges.
basuroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 23:23   #27248
BHPian

Sorry. Had to delete my posting as it did not add any new information regarding the shooting incident.

However, would like to post here about another sad incident at Santa Cruz, Mumbai
Caused massive traffic jam on the western express highway this evening.

Video Courtesy: https://twitter.com/skalamz/status/1046326059547815936
Photo Courtesy: https://twitter.com/look_no_further/...97233862287360
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cccc.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bbb.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aaa.jpg  

Last edited by Ithaca : 30th September 2018 at 23:41.
Old 1st October 2018, 08:17   #27249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Sorry. Had to delete my posting as it did not add any new information regarding the shooting incident.

However, would like to post here about another sad incident at Santa Cruz, Mumbai
Caused massive traffic jam on the western express highway this evening.

Video Courtesy: https://twitter.com/skalamz/status/1046326059547815936
Photo Courtesy: https://twitter.com/look_no_further/...97233862287360
That looks like the previous gen Skoda Superb. Any idea what caused this?
Old 1st October 2018, 09:05   #27250
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/tric...w/66020789.cms

Driver allegedly dozed off, SUV jumps median and collides head on with a lorry coming in opposite lane.

1. Driver probably not rested enough. 600+600km journey. (Bangalore to Thoothukudi).
Night journey and a driver without rest is a deadly combo.

2. Vehicles jumping the median and coming on to my lane head on is my worst fear while riding in highways. The worst thing is that it is not under my control. Best precaution is to use the right most lane only for overtaking.

Even with a human error, vehicles should not be able to get to the opposite lane in highways.
Either there should be spacing between both sides of traffic (preferred as it doesn't damage the vehicle unlike barrier) or strong barriers should be erected as median.

The current medians are useless as:
They have plants which obstruct the view of opposite lane,
provide feed and so attract cattle in highways,
obstructs pedestrians/dog who cross the median from the view of motorists.

Current medians are very easy to cross for any car above say 40kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ezgif24dc2d9e692.jpg  

Old 1st October 2018, 09:20   #27251
BHPian

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.tim...w/66020778.cms

The Madurai High Court has asked the Theni Allinagaram Municipality to pay half of the compensation to the kin of an accident victim. The motorcycle on which the victim was riding pillion with 2 of his friends hit a heap of mud on the Madurai - Theni main road, resulting in the accident. There were no warning signs. Apparently, they were riding triple.

Despite charges of rash and negligent driving and also admission of being intoxicated by one of the survivors, the Madurai High court has ordered the Municipality to pay half of the Rs.11.74 lakhs compensation for obstructing the road with no warning signs in place. The rest of the amount is to be paid by the bike's insurance company.

A step in the right direction. Although the victims are to blame, the court has also held the Municipality responsible for haphazardness and irresponsibility. I wish more and more courts will hold people who actually cause such accidents responsible. Poor planning and execution by the authorities resulting in accidents and inconvenience to the public must be questioned, and the guilty punished, where deemed necessary.

Last edited by SCORPION : 1st October 2018 at 09:21. Reason: Typo
SCORPION is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 17:45   #27252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
That looks like the previous gen Skoda Superb. Any idea what caused this?
I am sorry for the late reply.
Unable to find any definitive news about this incident in mumbai papers
Maybe something will be up tomorrow.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:36   #27253
Senior - BHPian

Is this video for real??? Wagon R runs over boy, miraculous survival!

A few days ago, I got a WhatsApp forward of a video of a boy getting run over by a Wagon-R and surprisingly escaping unscathed. I just could not believe it!

I went over the video multiple times and concluded that it was edited. The position of the boy before the car starts going over him, and after it has crossed him was opposite...inspite of the good ground clearance of the Wagon-R, I did not think it possible for a boy getting run over, to turn over as the car was passing over him, and come out unscathed.

BUT, it came in the news the next day, and it was claimed to be a real happening .

Link given below :

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...897-2018-09-26

Question : Does anybody have any additional info about this incident? Is the Wagon-R ground clearance indeed that great, that a boy could turn around underneath it and come out unscathed???

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2018 at 19:38. Reason: Video shared before (post #27212).
Old 1st October 2018, 19:38   #27254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
A few days ago, I got a WhatsApp forward of a video of a boy getting run over by a Wagon-R and surprisingly escaping unscathed. I just could not believe it!

MODS : I did a quick search, couldnt find it already there...please merge if this is being discussed already.
This has been discussed rather extensively in this very thread just a couple of pages ago.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:50   #27255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
This has been discussed rather extensively in this very thread just a couple of pages ago.
Yes, seeing it all now...looks like I am the only one who thinks that the video is edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks