Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 18:08   #27316
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Check out the video of a two wheeler crash in Kerala. (Not fatal).

What all can go wrong went wrong here:
1. Car is parked on the road decreasing the space available for other vehicles.
2. Bus stopped suddenly. I tried my best to watch for brake light shining in video. I couldn't spot the brake lights of bus. It is very common for bus (almost always private), auto and share autos to stop suddenly in road without indicating for passengers wanting to alight.
3. Two wheeler (scooter) was riding way over speed than what he could control and that too in a rainy day in a wet road.
4. Scooter rider didn't wear helmet. Lucky that he survived without head injury.
5. The truck was also speeding and couldn't stop (the driver couldn't even try to stop from that speed). Good steering control of truck, though.

Given that all other factors are beyond our control, the take away we have from this accident is to introspect this and be prepared in future: 'What would you have done if you were a car driver in that truck's place?'.
Arwin07 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 19:20   #27317
Senior - BHPian

With the bus facing towards the camera, it would be a Herculean task to spot the brake lights of the bus.

The rider has his lucky stars or guardian angels to thank for, and his stupidity to blame. My perception is he seems to have sped up just as the bus has stopped.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 19:27   #27318
Distinguished - BHPian

If I had been the bus driver, the rider might have suffered head injuries after the accident!

Well, ok, I'm not actually that bad, but this reminds me of being in a car with a colleague when an intoxicated pedestrian walked into the side of her car. He was uninjured, although he lay in the road and made a fuss. Police were around, and said, don't worry about it, we know this guy, local addict. But talking to her afterwards, she said that her feelings were simply anger. Not so unreasonable.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:16   #27319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
1. Car is parked on the road decreasing the space available for other vehicles.
2. Bus stopped suddenly. I tried my best to watch for brake light shining in video. I couldn't spot the brake lights of bus. It is very common for bus (almost always private), auto and share autos to stop suddenly in road without indicating for passengers wanting to alight.
3. Two wheeler (scooter) was riding way over speed than what he could control and that too in a rainy day in a wet road.
4. Scooter rider didn't wear helmet. Lucky that he survived without head injury.
5. The truck was also speeding and couldn't stop (the driver couldn't even try to stop from that speed). Good steering control of truck, though.

Given that all other factors are beyond our control, the take away we have from this accident is to introspect this and be prepared in future: 'What would you have done if you were a car driver in that truck's place?'.
All things said, the root cause was the two wheeler speeding and making an incorrect judgement of whether to overtake the bus or stop for the truck to pass by.
Last minute decision to stop caused the fishtail and accident.

Predictive and Attentive riding could have saved him.

- There is a bus ahead - Can it stop suddenly, is this an usual passenger pick up point ?
- Roads are wet - Can I brake on time ?
- Can I overtake the bus before the truck passes by ? Not sure, let me slow down earlier.

Simple common sense decisions could have saved all the mess above.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:19   #27320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Bus most certainly running without functioning brake lights and coming to a stop too fast for the road conditions.
2. Car parked as though his dad owns the road. Got what he deserved. Should be fined for such idiotic parking.
3. Scooter chap seems to be a mentally challenged person. Who in their right mind would ride so fast on a wet road ? Almost certain that he would have crashed even if the bus's brake light was functioning.
4. If it were a car in place of that truck, it would most probably have lost control and crashed if a similar manuevere was attempted. The truck was able to get back in line only due to the sheer weight of the load on its rear axle.

Hope the scooterist learnt his lesson. Not many live to see another day after such pea brained actions.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 02:26   #27321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The buses just stop right in the middle of the road, look at all the space on his left, this is a purposeful attempt to block trailing vehicles from overtaking. If the bus driver did not do that, then the scooter could have overtaken easily, of course, he is at fault for overspeeding, not wearing a helmet, etc... But this behavior from the bus driver also needs to highlighted.

Also notice that, the truck was coming from the wrong side of the road, the truck most likely would have been attempting to overtake a similar bus on the opposite side of the road.

I have witnessed this umpteen number of times in the narrow highways of Kerala

Last edited by govigov : 17th October 2018 at 02:31.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:26   #27322
Team-BHP Support

Happened this morning on Baner road, Pune:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-52dd2708af75471eb8542a0ef4d88e32.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:35   #27323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Attachment 1808779
Is that EcoSport jumping a divider or coming out of parking? Must have been quite an impact looking by the way the bonnet has twisted.

Anyway, not to worry - couple of detailers are just behind the car.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:36   #27324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Attachment 1808779
Great. Front airbags have deployed in Ecosport and all in Crysta. This is what airbags are for and not to inflate in cases where car is nearing total loss damage. The hit on Ecosport seems to be in middle of front bumper still airbags have deployed. In Crysta, the damage is to RHS, still curtain airbags have also deployed. I know that we're not aware of the speeds of respective vehicles but the damages don't seem to be of a high speed crash.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:44   #27325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Is that EcoSport jumping a divider or coming out of parking? Must have been quite an impact looking by the way the bonnet has twisted.

Ecosport is either making a U-Turn or a right turn. This is a usually busy intersection but morning times are calmer and there's a speed breaker on either sides of the junction.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:47   #27326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

There is a gap in divider there to allow vehicles to turn right however that is also a busy stretch and this is bound to happen.

This must be early in the morning since otherwise gaining enough speed there for such a crash is not so easy.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:16   #27327
BHPian

Quote:
This road seems to be a state highway or arterial road with commercial & residential establishments alongside. Such infrastructure in our country is a tailor made setup for accidents. There should be bus bays deviating from main road for buses to stop and my wish list but then this is India.

Given the whatever infra we have to deal with:
1. These squid riders usually zip through these roads every day without a worry in the world or a helmet on the head. These riders forget the limitations of their 2 wheelers and surely don't tune their riding as per the conditions on the day (wet roads here). Well, usually they live to tell the tale but this day was going to be different.

So, perhaps trailing the bus for sometime (and perhaps some drizzle in his eyes) had the rider lose attention or go into his dream land and it was very late that he realizes that he needs to brake, hard; causing the rear to slide.

Had he been on ABS equipped 2 wheeler and used more of front disc brake, perhaps the rider could have saved himself from the crash. But really, only when one is fully awake in the moment with all your senses working over time lets you live in our conditions.

2. Very likely the bus didn't have brake lights and has come to full stop from ~50+kmph (I guess) in a matter of meters.
Also the likely culprit could be that passenger in the bus who suddenly woke up from his/her slumber and asked the bus to stop "here here", who the private bus driver quickly obliged.

Has happened with me very recently on NH-19 near Delhi when I was already at safe distance behind and with market area coming, I had anticipated the moron bus driver to stop the behemoth momentum in its tracks leaving my humble bullet to go figure in quick seconds.

Finally, given it only ended with a damaged scooter, bruised body and ego, the hero for me is the truck driver for steering away precisely while also not demolishing the Santro.

Last edited by wangdu : 17th October 2018 at 11:16. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:04   #27328
Senior - BHPian

Two youngsters from Rajpipla town of Narmada district died on the spot after their car collided with a trailer on Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway on Sunday evening.

News Source.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aa.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ab.jpg
Image Source: Various Gujarat based WhatsApp groups.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:55   #27329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Two youngsters from Rajpipla town of Narmada district died on the spot after their car collided with a trailer on Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway on Sunday evening.
Our Supreme Court is busy mandating stickers to indicate fuel type, while not pulling up the authorities for not implementing existing rules like (correctly) fitting underrun protection bars.

Creating new rules is always far easier than enforcing the existing rules.

While there might have been errors by the car's driver and other factors involved in this accident, this manner of collision would have been avoided, and the severity of the accident greatly reduced.

Last edited by arunphilip : 17th October 2018 at 12:56.
arunphilip is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:47   #27330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Further ascertains my assumption that considering the way they ride, 99% of the bike / 2 wheeler riders on road are alive due to the alertness and benevolence of the 4/6/8/higher wheeler drivers.
blackasta is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks