Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 02:02   #27376
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
My father met with an accident

My father saw the truck when he was cruising at 110 KMPH (10 kmph above the speed limit)

He did not brake, there were 2 more cars on his tail, he instead accelerated and tried to escape before the truck entirely blocked the fast lane. He started honking as soon as he saw the truck, he crossed the truck 20 KMPH over his cruising speed.
Firstly, I'm glad that your father and his colleagues are safe. Vehicles are just tools, and sometimes they need to take damage to keep us safe - glad to see that the S-Cross did this, and remained stable.

Impacts on the rear quarter can easily spin out a car (even intentionally), so good to know nothing untoward happened.

Your mention about the speeds are also very good, because it highlights two very important points:
  1. Sometimes the safer avoidance manoeuvre is to accelerate away from danger, instead of braking to avoid it (and the driver must have the ability to judge which is the appropriate one to perform)
  2. To allow the above to happen, we must always drive our vehicles with some power in reserve

The second point is something I see violated quite often, when a small-capacity engine car (e.g. Nano, Alto) blasts past me on the highway going noticeably faster.

A huge shame the truck wasn't caught.

Once again, very glad that the people involved are safe, and the car came out with (relatively) minor damage.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th October 2018 at 09:50. Reason: Quoted post edited.
arunphilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 06:01   #27377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My father met with an accident on Yamuna Expressway around 9:00 PM.
Glad to know that he is safe.

Quote:
Yes, on a Expressway a truck driver was reversing his truck .... he was shocked to see the truck at a 90 deg angle.
I find this routinely happening on many highways, especially with these huge longer trucks. Once they decide to take a U turn or something similar, they end up blocking all lanes. It's a very risky situation to be in.

Quote:
He did not brake, there were 2 more cars on his tail, he instead accelerated and tried to escape before the truck entirely blocked the fast lane.
Wow. I'm in awe of his presence of mind. Most common reaction is to brake hard. He handled this tricky situation wonderfully.

Quote:
Screen shot from the tracking device where the accident took place.
Which device is this, make and cost?
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 08:57   #27378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My father met with an accident on Yamuna Expressway around 9:00 PM.....

.....He did not brake, there were 2 more cars on his tail, he instead accelerated and tried to escape before the truck entirely blocked the fast lane.
Presence of mind (and I'm sure borne out of driving experience) on your father's part avoided what could've been a much nastier accident given the speeds involved and multi-car pile-up that could've resulted from an emergency braking maneuver.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 09:07   #27379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My father met with an accident on Yamuna Expressway around 9:00 PM. ...
  • Fortunately no human suffered any injury
  • Get a dashcam
  • Is that tracking device given by the insurance company or NEXA or some aftermarket device?
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 09:36   #27380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
  • Get a dashcam
  • Is that tracking device given by the insurance company or NEXA or some aftermarket device?
Exactly!

Had you had a dashcam, the story would have been a lot different.
You would have had all the proofs to book the trucker, instead of trying to chase him.

You would also have shared an amazing video here to teach us one more lesson on what could go wrong on an express high way.

Go for it. Its worth its weight in gold.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 10:01   #27381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Had you had a dashcam, the story would have been a lot different.
You would have had all the proofs to book the trucker, instead of trying to chase him.

You would also have shared an amazing video here to teach us one more lesson on what could go wrong on an express high way.

Go for it. Its worth its weight in gold.
Just this morning, i realized I had left my dashcam in my table drawer at home. So I went in to retrieve it before driving to office. I won't budge my car without it. So you're preaching to the choir here, about the importance of dashcams.

But let's keep in mind the fact that at night, at high speeds, a truck that's at 90 degrees to the PoV of the dashcam may well be unidentifiable.
Old 26th October 2018, 12:07   #27382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
So you're preaching to the choir here, about the importance of dashcams.
Looks like it needs more preaching, as not everybody realized it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But let's keep in mind the fact that at night, at high speeds, a truck that's at 90 degrees to the PoV of the dashcam may well be unidentifiable.
Eventually, the car passed the truck from the front and these dashcams will have wide angle. Good chances of catching the number.

As a rule, trucks are supposed to write their numbers on the sides too. So, high chances of catching it.

At least, you stand a chance to catch the bizarre event happening on the highway, in case you need to prove your innocense.

Chances and chances only.
But, without the equipment, you stand no chance. Don't you agree?
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:17   #27383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This design seems to be a jugaad in itself and is hardly present outside of India.
If you are thinking Western countries, yes. But similar sleeper coaches are very common across Asia in almost every countries. China, Taiwan, Thailand etc. have had similar sleeper coaches for like couple of decades.
Old 26th October 2018, 12:51   #27384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Which device is this, make and cost?
Matchpoint GPS. Purchased as an accessory from HDFC just after taking delivery of my car. I took loan from HDFC and their rep sold it to me (Insurance was taken from a different company). Features include inginiton on/off alerts, boundary alerts, speed alerts, idling alerts and lots of statistics - kms driven, route replay, avg speeds etc.

Device cost is 18k which includes 5 yrs replacement warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
  • Get a dashcam
Quote:
Had you had a dashcam
Guess what? I have a Viofo A119S v2 which I use it on my long drives. I have not hardwired it. I think I will do it now.

Last edited by sinharishi : 26th October 2018 at 13:05.
sinharishi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 22:29   #27385
BHPian

From Motown India.

How we as motorist should behave when we see an accident on the road.

Ithaca is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 22:39   #27386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
From Motown India.

That's an interesting clip.

First and foremost I guess how to handle an accident where you are involved and where you are not involved needs to be part of the driving license test / training, as should be training in basic first aid.

Now that simulation and computerized tests are replacing the older, manual and ineffective method of training the would-be drivers, maybe one day this too might come true.

Till the time we are mature enough in terms of driver training, social awareness, infrastructure etc to allow emwrgency vehicles to reach an accident spot and take the victims to an appropriate medical care centre, I think it may save more lives if any passers by could help the victims before medical help arrived.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 10:07   #27387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That's an interesting clip.

First and foremost I guess how to handle an accident where you are involved and where you are not involved needs to be part of the driving license test / training, as should be training in basic first aid.
I see it the other way around.
Its in our culture.

Can you coolly walk past a person lying on the road ? Will you consider that you did everything that you could, if you just called the ambulance?

If someone slips and falls, do you think twice before reaching out to lend a helping hand?
I had seen many clips from Europe and US where if somebody falls, people just walk around him, but rarely help him to get back on his feet.
In India, you will always get help [more than you ask for ]

I once initiated a mob, in Rajasthan, into lifting a toppled van to get he driver out from under it. Waiting for ambulance wouldn't have helped. I could do it because I stopped on the high way and ran down a 20 feet steep embankment.

Its just that we don't know where to draw the line!
FORTified is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 10:27   #27388
Senior - BHPian

@Fortified, yes, that's part of our culture. But then not everyone may stop and help, out of apathy or reasons of personal safety.

Anyways this is slightly off the main topic so I shall just conclude my post by saying having some formal training in such areas whils obtaining a driver's license will go a long way.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 16:40   #27389
BHPian

Quote:
Its in our culture.

Can you coolly walk past a person lying on the road ? Will you consider that you did everything that you could, if you just called the ambulance?

If someone slips and falls, do you think twice before reaching out to lend a helping hand?
I had seen many clips from Europe and US where if somebody falls, people just walk around him, but rarely help him to get back on his feet.

I once initiated a mob, in Rajasthan, into lifting a toppled van to get he driver out from under it. Waiting for ambulance wouldn't have helped. I could do it because I stopped on the high way and ran down a 20 feet steep embankment.

True that! We really do not. We are such an emotion driven lot. I would suggest that the ones who are most likely to stop and help an accident victim do a First Responder Course. St. Johns Ambulance First Aid conducts this course. At least In Goa my Rotary Club has sponsored a few of these courses in Colleges.
Old 29th October 2018, 17:20   #27390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
From Motown India.

Quote:
Its in our culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
... I would suggest that the ones who are most likely to stop and help an accident victim do a First Responder Course. St. Johns Ambulance First Aid conducts this course. ...
In Europe, its a criminal offence and one can lose his licence for not stopping and helping the victims! The first step towards acquiring a licence is a first aid course and its importance is reiterated several times over and over again. If one is trained in first-aid, he/she should do the best. The rest when they notice that some already attending to the victims should move on and not crowd around with their smartphones out filming.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 29th October 2018 at 17:21.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed