Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 14:32   #27421
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Again shows what difference can a seat belt make. Glad that you were all belted.
Very true sir. I never drive without seat belts, neither do I let the passengers skip. The loud warning chime of Punto wouldn't let me forget too.

Quote:
The car looks heavily damaged. What's the IDV of the vehicle? Push for total loss. Speak to the service center regarding the same that you don't want to get it repaired.
IDV is 6.3 lacs. It's either total loss or a complete new body shell (which would push repair cost more than IDV hence not practical) with existing power terrain. I have already communicated this to service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Scary and horrible incident. Your analysis is very objective considering the shock that you must feel.
Except for the flip part, I do remember the tale very much. It also matched with the version of my friend who was sitting at the front passenger seat. The tyres going to the decline followed by overturn was ascertained by visiting the spot next day.

Quote:
Nothing hurt, that is, apart from your poor car. Very sad
Just today morning I happened to see the spare key of Punto at home. It again reminded me of the lovely time I had with her. It's so sad to see her go like this. I had plans to keep her for l-o-n-g. It was close to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please in the meanwhile, try learning how to rev-match and trail-brake.
Well, While I do rev-match, I am not sure how it would have helped in my case. As stated earlier, it was a longish "C" type bend. The road was new to me and it was dark. I do a lot of engine braking and was able to control the car but there wasn't enough room off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
.Any idea of what speeds you were doing then? And the age of the tyres? When will these high beamers learn the damage they cause!
My best guess about speed would be 50~60. The tyres were 30k km old.

Quote:
Moto_Hill knows he got it wrong, and paid the price. Some of us have done the same and been more, or less, lucky. I was lucky: there was plenty of room, off the road, for the car to travel sideways before it stopped. Lessons learned. Sadly, it cost Moto_Hill his car.
You have narrated it correctly sir. I am posting the pictures of the spot. First one shows the extent of curve and little room for error at the corner. Second one is the ditch. As you can see there's a iron pole just ahead of the ditch. We were lucky that the car did not bang on it.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-13.jpg

Regarding the poor safety ratings Punto got. It feels so safe and solid and tight from inside and outside that the poor ratings personally never bothered me. All three of us coming out unscratched from an accident like this is the biggest safety assessment. It was one of the major positives when buying her and she didn't let me down when it mattered.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 5th November 2018 at 14:45. Reason: Adding detail
Moto_Hill is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:45   #27422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
How not to ride, be cautious while brake checking other vehicles.
If I see it correctly, the truck intentionally swerved left to hit the biker. Obviously, the biker was too close to the truck and the bike came under.
Old 5th November 2018, 16:53   #27423
BHPian

I am not sure whether this was posted earlier in this thread.
This happened over a week ago on Hyderabad - Vijayawada National Highway near Ibrahimpatnam and the bike rider survived in this crash.

Last edited by Hickstead : 5th November 2018 at 16:58.
Hickstead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 17:16   #27424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
This happened over a week ago on Hyderabad - Vijayawada National Highway near Ibrahimpatnam and the bike rider survived in this crash.

Biker should thank his stars. It appears that truck was speeding while approaching the intersection. Biker could have been more careful while crossing the road. Looks like helmet was worn just to save fine and not for safety, which got removed right at impact
Old 5th November 2018, 19:12   #27425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do hope the biker learnt his lesson that day, brazenly driving across a major roadway (NH, even) in such a cavalier manner.

Good of the truck driver to attempt a swerve, and better still that he was able to brake before he reached the shops on the side of the road (quite often we've seen heavy vehicles plowing into them). I would wager a guess that the truck was not loaded, else the sheer momentum might've meant curtains for the biker.

I did have to chuckle at the strategically placed mud splatter on the license plate of the truck. While he's most likely not guilty this time, he's well prepared for a future hit-and-run!

Name:  20181105.png
Views: 7342
Size:  309.6 KB
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 11:57   #27426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
..Good of the truck driver to attempt a swerve..
Your observation is spot on. I analyzed this a bit and concluded that there could have been way more damage to man and material if the truck driver hadn't swerved precisely(it's a mammoth momentum to be controlled).

The truck driver didn't brake hard (this type of truck's brakes aren't usually that effective anyway) which if had done, would have caused the tailing car to crash into the truck. Even then the truck with its momentum wouldn't have been able to stop and would have crushed the bike.

Had the truck driver braked to the extent possible and still gone straight, the biker would have been crushed.

So it seems truck driver did a mighty good job here. Only if there was a vehicle to the left of the truck, it could have been bad for that vehicle.

Good to know the rider survived but I chuckled a bit at the rider who is lying down on the ground unsure if he is alive as he would have seen 'yamaraja' the moment he saw himself in the path of the truck.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 13:43   #27427
BHPian

A father and his two sons lost their lives in an accident today morning at Sirisilla, Telangana. I am not able to identify the car based on the pic below. Is that a Lodgy or Enjoy ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 15:17   #27428
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether this was posted earlier in this thread.
With due respect to the victim, even though it was his foolishness leading to this situation, Had anyone watched the doggy in the video?
aadya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 16:38   #27429
BHPian

Quote:
A father and his two sons lost their lives in an accident today morning at Sirisilla, Telangana. I am not able to identify the car based on the pic below. Is that a Lodgy or Enjoy ?
It'z a Lodgy. Got a pic from rear in another daily.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 15:07   #27430
BHPian

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...78306292226092

Story is in Tamil. But the picture is worth a thousand words.

(Pic courtesy: Sun news Tamil).

A Swift Dzire rear ended a state government bus in Chennai-Trichy highway. 3 men dead, 1 woman injured and a child walks away without injuries.
The bus has no rear under run bars. Dzire ploughs into the rear of the bus upto it's B pillar. No chance of survival of those in front seat. RIP.
I have already commented about accidents involving trucks or buses without under run bars more than twice in this forum. Hence quoting my previous posts.

It's depressing to see that many life's are unnecessarily lost because some owners decided to cut cost with not installing under run bars and some law enforcers decide to let it go when their palms are greased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurg...w/66500194.cms

From the report, a lorry running in wrong side of highway hit a car, jeep and a motorcycle head on resulting in the death of 13 people.

Car collision with a lorry without under run bars is my worst nightmare. (No reports of that in news, hypothetical scenario). Because there is no crumple zone in play in rear or side collision. A pillars of car directly hits the body of lorry + head of the occupants is the point of impact + the height of airbags do not cover the head. (Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.) I am not sure of how good crumple zone is in lorry's front.

1. While driving alone, pull over at nearest safe place and nap if sleepy or drowsy.
2. If travelling with a passenger, can request them to keep a look out ahead in road. They can be your extra eyes and ears. Valuable to spot distant wrong side vehicles or distant breakdown vehicles in your lane.
3. More highway patrols needed to pull over wrong side vehicles. Laws should be passed to cancel the driving licence of those driving on wrong side, even if for one metre distance.

Keep yourself safe. It's dogs world out there in our highways. Just because we drive safe doesn't ensure that there won't be accidents. Buy the safest car you can afford.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-45546487_2119941998062505_8877231560089141248_n.jpg  

Last edited by Arwin07 : 7th November 2018 at 15:12. Reason: Restructured sentence, corrected logical error.
Arwin07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 18:25   #27431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's depressing to see that many life's are unnecessarily lost because some owners decided to cut cost with not installing under run bars and some law enforcers decide to let it go when their palms are greased.
Yes, true. But it is even more depressing that people drive into the back of something the size of a bus.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 19:33   #27432
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, true. But it is even more depressing that people drive into the back of something the size of a bus.
+1 to that. The best comment I've read since a lot of threads here now. This is the most hopeless scenario.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 20:02   #27433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In principle, yes. In reality, hard to judge not knowing the circumstances.

Quite often on the highways of Tamil Nadu I've seen local buses join a highway from a side road on the opposite side, where they cut across at speed (or even drive the wrong way a short distance to merge through a divider into the correct side). They do so brazenly, leaving highway users to fend for themselves.

It is likely that the car driver was tailgating or driving beyond the driver's/car's capabilities and paid the price. It is just as likely that the bus driver pulled in front of the car catching the driver by surprise, and negating any safe braking distance. (Yes, I know that old chestnut about the vehicle at the back is to blame).

Note that the angle of the bus from the photo seems to indicate it is at an angle to a lane of travel, and we can just about make out the median in the background. This could either be due to the impact, or due to the way the bus was driving. Without further detail, we'd never know.

We also have to realize that on these roads of ours, bad stuff happens. Any of us (myself included), might sit here pontificating about how the driver made a mistake, thinking we might not do likewise, and we'd just as likely blunder into some manner of accident the next day. Because we're human. We're not infallible. Because we've got fighting kids in the backseat. Because our front-seat passenger just spilt a bottle of water startling us. And that's just distractions in the car.

That's also the reason why safety standards mandate both ABS and airbags. One might keep us out of trouble, but the other helps us once we get into it.

And that's why I'd agree with Arwin about underrun bars (and thereafter, seatbelts in the car, if they weren't worn) - this could very easily have been an accident that had people walking away with a written-off car, bruises, headaches and sore muscles, rather than an incident leading to funerals.

Quote:
arunphilip is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 20:38   #27434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
just as likely that the bus driver pulled in front of the car catching the driver by surprise, and negating any safe braking distance.
A friend's father, a man with rich experience and a very practical head, once told me that we needn't be too much worried about what damage a Government (KSRTC) bus' front can cause to others; rather, one must watch and be wary of its backside. That's where the real sting lies!

Quote:
Because our front-seat passenger just spilt a bottle of water startling us.
The same father's very intelligent son - my friend - was coasting along the road from Chikkamagaluru to Kaduru in his Alto. Feeling thirsty, he turned back to his sister in the backseat to get a bottle of water from her. Before he could realise it, water had spilled over on his lap and his car had crossed over from the tarred road to the broken shoulder and thereon towards the cow pit that separates the road from adjoining fields. Fortunately, there were only minor bodily injuries to the occupants of the car: the car however had to be towed back to a FNG and treated with 30k worth of spares and parts.
dailydriver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 01:20   #27435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Private buses are are always driven very rashly almost on the verge of bulldozing every other vehicle on the road and have scant regard for other road users, blaring their pressure musical horns to pick up the passengers before their competitor does.

These buses stop wherever they want without any indication, bang in the middle of the road with sudden braking to pickup/drop passengers. This is extremely dangerous behavior and the main cause of unsuspecting drivers rear ending these buses. Tailgating a private bus can be extremely dangerous.

One will also frequently encounter these buses desperately overtaking vehicles like their life depended on it and after the overtaking is complete, they come to a sudden halt.

Private city buses are an efficient means of transport unlike Government operated lethargic buses, but they are a real traffic menace and their rash behavior needs to be curbed big time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks