Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:13   #27601
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
P.S: Can someone identify the car model please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Looks Jeep Compass to me (tail lights and narrow rear window pane. Not sure though.
The skid plate, rear number plate position, front door badging and the rear wheels being off-centre (forward set) in the wheel well (in addition to the features mentioned above) conclusively point to the Compass (see what I did there? ).

I wonder how exactly it went down... As someone who frequently goes for wildlife oriented short night drives, this one is a little close to home.

Last edited by Mu009 : 2nd January 2019 at 16:15. Reason: Semantics
Mu009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:15   #27602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://m.dinamalar.com/detail.php?id=2181606

Transliterating from this Tamil news article:

Looks like a Jeep compass to me.
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:41   #27603
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/67353854.cms

6 people of the same family died on the spot when their car hit a container lorry that was entering highway from a petrol bunk near Vellore, Tamilnadu. This accident happened today evening 7pm near Kaveripakkam in Chennai- Bangalore highway.

Pic courtesy: TOI, from the link above.

RIP.

From the photo:
1. Absence of side guard rails (crash bars) in the container lorry. Guard rails, when present, act as crumple zone and take the impact. But in their absence, the car ploughs into the bed of the container and there is possibility of decapitation of the car occupants.
2. I couldn't see any reflective stickers on the side of the container lorry.
3. Probably overspeeding of the car as it couldn't see the truck and evade/stop in time and/or reckless entry of lorry into highway. No evidence for these 2 based on the article. Just guessing.
4. I think the car is Maruti Eeco, which along with Omni is one of the most unsafe cars in our country. It got Zero ratings on NCAP. Not that it is a contributing factor in this particular accident, just my observation.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-67353855.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2019 at 16:09. Reason: typo
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:53   #27604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/67353854.cms

6 people of the same family died on the spot when their car hit a container lorry that was entering highway from a petrol bunk near Vellore, Tamilnadu. This accident happened today evening 7pm near Kaveripakkam in Chennai- Bangalore highway.

Pic courtesy: TOI, from the link above.
I have just done 3 Chennai-Hosur trips in December 2018. The stretch of Highway from Walajabad till Chennai is 2 laned in one direction, with melted and potholed roads. In between the lanes, cattle farmers can be seen holding their cows by a leash while the cows feast on the grass growing on the median. Worse yet, the slow lane is always riddled with slow commuter motorcycles and the fast lane is choked by slow trucks. The kaveripakkam junction where this accident occurred is in this deadly stretch.

If you're proceeding to Chennai from Vellore, until Walajabad it is 3 laned in one direction, so people have a tendency to drive at high speeds. The dolts that most of our people are, they maintain the same high speeds even when they pass Walajabad.

"oh, but the trucker must've rashly crossed the road..."

Isn't defensive driving meant to save you from exactly most such occurrences? I know I am guessing and that I am speaking about the victims of a violent death. But I've seen that every driver out there is a dolt driving aggressively in that stretch. I can tell you safely that during my 1800Km driven in December on that highway, I was probably the only defensive driver within 50 miles eitherway on that road. If I didn't have a clear field of vision stretching 300 - 500 metres ahead, I have never crossed 80 Kmph, only to get harassed by all these dolts who ride your coattails and flash and honk.

Just...when will our people learn?
locusjag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:01   #27605
Senior - BHPian

You don't barge onto a highway as if its a private backyard.The truck driver, from his high seating position has absolutely no excuse. It's entirely his fault. Traffic on the highway gets priority. If you are looking to enter the highway, its your responsibility to ensure that there is no oncoming traffic before you enter it.

From the photograph it seems the unlit road and the dark colour of the lorry meant that the Eeco driver didn't notice the lorry strolling onto the highway till it was too late. RIP.
longhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:25   #27606
BHPian

Got these pictures from a friend. Accident happened on the infamous 'Maa' flyover. Haven't heard about any injuries. No further details. The driver is very very lucky that he didn't go over the edge of the barrier or flip onto the roof.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190102-11.10.13-pm.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190102-11.10.12-pm.jpeg
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:40   #27607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I have just done 3 Chennai-Hosur trips in December 2018. The stretch of Highway from Walajabad till Chennai is 2 laned in one direction, with melted and potholed roads. In between the lanes, cattle farmers can be seen holding their cows by a leash while the cows feast on the grass growing on the median. Worse yet, the slow lane is always riddled with slow commuter motorcycles and the fast lane is choked by slow trucks. The kaveripakkam junction where this accident occurred is in this deadly stretch.

If you're proceeding to Chennai from Vellore, until Walajabad it is 3 laned in one direction, so people have a tendency to drive at high speeds. The dolts that most of our people are, they maintain the same high speeds even when they pass Walajabad.
You keep referring to Walajapet as Walajabad.
Walajapet is the town on NH48 between Bangalore and Chennai.
Walajabad is another town enroute to Chengalpet from Kanchipuram.

Agree with your other observations about idiotic drivers in this NH stretch.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:12   #27608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Walajapet is the town on NH48 between Bangalore and Chennai.
Walajabad is another town enroute to Chengalpet from Kanchipuram.
Both are named after this gent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamm..._Khan_Wallajah
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:35   #27609
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't defensive driving meant to save you from exactly most such occurrences?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
You don't barge onto a highway as if its a private backyard...
No you do not, but on some highways you just never get to get on the road with a truck or for that matter any vehicle as there is no gap and no one wants to slow down or stop.

Just back from Pondicherry yesterday and there were 5 instances when I had to brake hard to avoid crashing into bikes coming on to the road without even making an attempt to look at what's coming. This is a guy who has the most to loose and yet he does not look. The truck drivers on the other hand don't care a bit. In any case, if you are going at the legally allowed speed, you would manage to stop, and they know that.

Then there was this stationary bus who decided to overtake another stationary one just as I was passing the opposite way. This was a dead stop from 30-40 kph in less than half the length of the bus. Bus driver got an earful from everyone around.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 00:31   #27610
Senior - BHPian

Three killed in accident - They were returning to Bengaluru from Andhra Pradesh.

Quote:
Three persons, including two women of a family, were killed and three others, including two children, were injured when an SUV hit a median and overturned at Hoskote in the early hours of Wednesday.

“Bala Kishore had put the seat belt, which saved his life. Srinath was not wearing the seat belt, resulting in grievous injuries to him,” said a senior police officer.

The women were not wearing seat belts. The two children were not wearing seat belts, but were saved as they were sitting in the rear of the vehicle, the officer added.

The two women sustained fatal injuries and were killed on the spot while Srinath died on the way to hospital, the police said.
Another example of how important seat belts are in saving lives.
Old 4th January 2019, 14:29   #27611
Distinguished - BHPian

This tragic accident happened on 31st eve, the owner of the Audi S5 (September 2018 registered) was riding a BMW bike and two of his friends were in his Audi, one of them was capturing pictures and videos of the biker for social media, unfortunately the photographer died in the mishap, this young man was to be married soon.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190103wa0113.jpg

The other kid just 20 years old is critical and battling for life in a Jaipur hospital.

A young life wasted away !

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2019 at 16:23. Reason: As requested
KartikeyaL is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 15:08   #27612
BHPian

How did the accident happen? Looks like it something and toppled.
Old 4th January 2019, 16:20   #27613
BANNED

Quote:
Just...when will our people learn?
Oh, the answer to that is simple, N-E-V-E-R.

Just look at the accident below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
A young life wasted away !
Easy money, irresponsible parenting and bad friends resulted in this.
Rich guy gets supercar from dad, gives it to another reckless friend so that he can click photos of the hero riding at 200kmph on a public highway...

Do I feel sorry for the boy? Hell No, the parents? Well, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Look at the LHS and it is clear, they were swiping between trucks and didnt notice one truck too close, hit its tires/axles (mostly) and flipped over.
n.devdath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:57   #27614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
This tragic accident happened on 31st eve, the owner of the Audi S5 (September 2018 registered)
Audi RS5! A 1.26 crore rupees car. My city is getting rich!
As we get several travelogues in travelogue section after summer vacation, we get several this type of news from all over india on 31st December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Here are more details. One Brezza was also involve in accident. (https://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...killed-2702356).

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Easy money, irresponsible parenting and bad friends resulted in this.
Rich guy gets supercar from dad
I often commute on this Jaipur-Ajmer stretch. Though it is a 3+3 lane road, but it not comfortable to run @ 150-200 KMPH speed. There are several median cuts, cattle cross the road and local villagers people cruise with their 100-150 CC bike in middle/ first lane.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:15   #27615
BHPian

Quote:
http://m.dinamalar.com/detail.php?id=2181606

Transliterating from this Tamil news article:
A doctor died when the car driven by him capsized in Valparai hills....

The car seems to be a Jeep Compass.

Most Viewed