Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 22:12   #27706
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Received these photos on WhatsApp. Looks like this TUV3OO took the impact well and airbags deployed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tuv1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tuv2.jpg  

airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 22:38   #27707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
The point is could the bus driver have slowed down in time to at least minimize the impact? But then that's where my other point comes in i.e. they themselves won't be humanly bothered unless they see something of their own size. That's it.
Kind of true. Till 2013, I used to drive in the Trivandrum - Cochin highway and it used to be single lane with a good volume of vehicles. Vehicles in the opposite lanes used to respect, acknowledge and adjust when someone is overtaking, by moving to their left most position, as the overtaking vehicle will be clearly crossing to the other lane.

The sync between the drivers in opposite lanes was very essential for a smooth drive in those highways. And when these KSRTC buses overtake, its very common that the opposite small cars used to get thrown away from the asphalt to the sides. I used to be double careful when a KSRTC bus comes in the opposite side and I wouldn't make the mistake of overtaking at that time.

May be the curve is the reason for the car to have missed the bus coming in. May be he should have at-least waited till the curve was over. Or may be the bus could have given more space by moving to left again. Lot of "may-be's".

I am not justifying anyone. But surely feel sad for the family and the loss death brings to relatives.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 23:46   #27708
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no justification for overtaking on curves, or when the road ahead cannot be seen. Unfortunately, looking for clear space has been replaced by expecting others to provide it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th January 2019 at 09:08. Reason: Additional line removed,
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 00:06   #27709
Team-BHP Support

Basic courtesy on the road is one thing and I'm all for it, but if an overtaking maneuver is solely at the mercy of another vehicle (alongside or oncoming), it's foolish and suicidal to try it. Back off and try elsewhere. Period.

Also, one should NEVER overtake unless the amount of road one can see ahead is more than what one needs to complete the maneuver safely. Curves, straights and everything in between included.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th January 2019 at 00:07.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 07:35   #27710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
but if an overtaking maneuver is solely at the mercy of another vehicle (alongside or oncoming), it's foolish and suicidal to try it.
What many (most) drivers don't realise is that overtaking is a cooperative manoeuvre, not an act of aggression. Do not attempt it unless you have the go-ahead from the driver whose vehicle you are overtaking. They have a better view of the road ahead, not you.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 08:40   #27711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What many (most) drivers don't realise is that overtaking is a cooperative manoeuvre, not an act of aggression. Do not attempt it unless you have the go-ahead from the driver whose vehicle you are overtaking. They have a better view of the road ahead, not you.
Also, most are overconfident of their swerving skills, until they realise (often fatally) that their little box on wheels isn't as nimble as they assumed.

Restricted view and overconfident aggressive driver: gunpowder, meet matchstick.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 08:51   #27712
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this accident on my way to office today morning near Electronic city on NICE road. It had caused a small pileup at 07:45. I'm sure it would've created a big jam now and later till it is removed. No idea how it happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg
Image cropped from my dash cam video grab
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 09:00   #27713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
No idea how it happened.
According to a friend of mine who passed the site soon after around 0730, the mini truck tried to sneak ahead of that truck during an overtaking maneuver and the gap was less as there was a slow moving truck ahead of it.

The Canter then hits this mini truck and both of them settle down peacefully at the location your dash cam has captured.

Reminds me mention about these Tata Aces, Bolero Pick ups and Dosts; They somehow always feel they are more stable and better than those heavy trucks and indulge in maneuvers that Techies on NICE road do with their cars and barely miss collisions.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 12:37   #27714
Senior - BHPian

Going too fast and a blind overtaking on a curve by Etios.

ecenandu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 12:43   #27715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Going too fast and a blind overtaking on a curve by Etios.
I love the way the biker has parked - Both the Helmet as well as the Bike itself!!

Coming to the accident, on such a busy road with 2 wheelers and cross-roads/intersections (I guess there would be many ahead), I always look for one such moron who decides to take a right turn the way the biker did or merge onto the main road without assessing traffic, and to do that, I have to drive under controlled speeds, which the Etios certainly wasn't. These 2 things are the most common signs to look out for on roads like the one shown in the video.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th January 2019 at 12:48.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 13:45   #27716
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I always look for one such moron who decides to take a right turn the way the biker did or merge onto the main road without assessing traffic, and to do that,
The biker wasnt at fault here. He was at a very slow speed, had indicated his intent in advance and let a couple of other 2 wheelers pass before he crossed the road, it is the Etios which was being driven by a driver who assumed he was on a race track piloting an F1 car.

Amongst other things we forget when driving through small towns is that the overall pace of everything there is slower than our metros, and driving is no exception.

It is upto us to be dynamic and alert.
n.devdath is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 13:51   #27717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The biker wasnt at fault here.
Right. I wasn't referring to the fault of the biker here at all, except may be the way he casually parked perpendicular to that road or for resting that helmet on the fuel tank while riding.

It is obviously the Etios at fault for the speeds it was doing on a busy stretch of the road.
Quote:
Amongst other things we forget when driving through small towns is that the overall pace of everything there is slower than our metros, and driving is no exception.

It is upto us to be dynamic and alert.
And this pretty much sums it up, with typical and simple examples on what are those things one must look out for when driving on such roads, and to do that you need to drive slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Coming to the accident, on such a busy road with 2 wheelers and cross-roads/intersections (I guess there would be many ahead), I always look for one such moron who decides to take a right turn the way the biker did or merge onto the main road without assessing traffic, and to do that, I have to drive under controlled speeds, which the Etios certainly wasn't. These 2 things are the most common signs to look out for on roads like the one shown in the video.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 19:52   #27718
BHPian

3 die in a Duster and City accident in Telangana state.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th January 2019 at 23:35. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 21:10   #27719
BHPian

Did both the cars turned turtle? The roof areas are completely gone
Old 16th January 2019, 21:56   #27720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Did both the cars turned turtle? The roof areas are completely gone
Remember this accident in Mumbai few years back? Innova flips over and lands upside down on a Santro coming on the opposite lane.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-innova6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-santro3.jpg

This one looks similar.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed