Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 17:34   #27886
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Kerala has the highest rate of road accidents/fatalities in India, caused by a vicious combo of bad roads, crappy driving/licensing system (same all over India) & no awareness of traffic rules or any clue about defensive / predictive driving.
This might sound like a sweeping statement but I tend to be very wary of any KL registered 4 wheeler ( bus or car) on the highway. Most of them are extremely rash with complete disregard for fellow travelers on the road. It is no surprise that accident/fatality rate is so high in Kerala.
satishv1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 00:14   #27887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
. KL registered ......Most of them are extremely rash
As per the surveys, the number road rage incidents is three times higher in Kerala than the other state which is ranked #2 (sources: 1, 2)

However the main reason is attributed to the poor road conditions/general infrastructure and narrow roads in Kerala which results in higher stress levels and competitive attitude among the drivers leading to rash driving/ road rage and over time unfortunately becomes a general culture/trend.

Improving the road conditions and infrastructure should be able to reverse this trend over time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 01:36. Reason: Spacing
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 01:22   #27888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
In a gruesome accident, a woman was crushed while she was waiting for bus.

Attachment 1846335

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67906316.cms
This is horrifying.

There are so many things that are wrong with this. Chief being what are people doing standing in between the roads? Why is that bus stopping there? I wonder what will it take to bring awareness to people and drivers? Till then we continue losing precious lives.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 08:42   #27889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is horrifying.

There are so many things that are wrong with this. Chief being what are people doing standing in between the roads?
I thought the primary reason is the truck lost its brake or whatever needed to stop it. If the bus was not there, the truck would have gone further ahead and rammed into something else. Really sad, what a difference fraction of seconds can make. Had she seen a second earlier the lorry coming, she would have sneaked out like the other lady next to her.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:47   #27890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
When two 'ZERO' stars go meet in a frontal crash.

7 injured in a collusion between Alto and Swift.

Attachment 1847084

Attachment 1847086

Attachment 1847087

Source
Could not understand the news. Hope there are no fatalities. Hope the injured recover soon. Hope they drive safer in the future. Hope we do not see the "Collision of Crumple Zones"

Last edited by aadya : 12th February 2019 at 09:47. Reason: grammar/correction
Old 12th February 2019, 13:34   #27891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
As per the surveys, the number road rage incidents is three times higher in Kerala than the other state which is ranked #2 (sources: 1, 2)

However the main reason is attributed to the poor road conditions/general infrastructure and narrow roads in Kerala which results in higher stress levels and competitive attitude among the drivers leading to rash driving/ road rage and over time unfortunately becomes a general culture/trend.

Improving the road conditions and infrastructure should be able to reverse this trend over time.
There is a difference between road rage and rash driving cases filed and actual road rage happening at the ground. In my 11 year stint in Trivandrum, I have been fortunate that I never been in a road rage situation, neither have I seen or heard anyone who was in a road rage related situation.

Accidents do happen and I have seen all the parties wait at the accident site for cops to come, register a case and they all go their respective ways once they receive a copy of the FIR needed for the insurance claim.

On the other hand I have had multiple road rage related incidents in Delhi where I was dragged into. In Pune its a business to unnecessarily blame out of state motorists of hit and run a extort funny amount of money out of them.

All these puncture gang, thak thak gang do not exist in Kerala for obvious reasons, people here abide by the law, people actually take the pain to report issues, Trivandrum was rated as one of the best cities in India to live (Source)

Cant imagine a city which has the highest road rage related incidents being the best city to live in.

Pramod

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th February 2019 at 14:15. Reason: Guess you meant obvious not oblivious.
pramodkumar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:26   #27892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
There is a difference between road rage and rash driving cases filed and actual road rage happening at the ground. In my 11 year stint in Trivandrum, I have been fortunate that I never been in a road rage situation, neither have I seen or heard anyone who was in a road rage related situation.
I agree! Rash driving and related accidents are plenty, but I have not seen road rage incidents happening around. Infact I have noticed huge improvement in road manners – drivers in general have started showing a bit of patience and giving way to fellow road users.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:34   #27893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree! Rash driving and related accidents are plenty, but I have not seen road rage incidents happening around. Infact I have noticed huge improvement in road manners – drivers in general have started showing a bit of patience and giving way to fellow road users.
Exactly, I have been fortunate enough to drive almost throughout the length of the country and I have not seen the kind of traffic law enforcement we have in Kerala, anywhere else in the country.

I agree that most roads are not divided and the infrastructure should improve, but road rage? Seriously?

Its time we ensure we get our daily dosage of news from the right places instead some trigger happy websites, which is known to report half baked or cooked up stories.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 19:31   #27894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In general, I agree this is true to most of the general population of kerala, but the bus drivers of kerala are something of a different breed all together. I am sure sitting in the front seat (behind the driver) one will get to experience more "thriller" rides than in wonder-la or such amusement parks!!

I have had few experiences which were literally nerve wracking and In the interest of my nerves and blood pressure, I avoid these seats while going in KSRTC (kerala) buses. Private bus operators are also extremely impatient and continuously honk and come dangerously close behind you. I have seen many newbies and outstation drivers taking their cars off the road to the track on the sides because of these super fast buses!!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th February 2019 at 00:22. Reason: Spacing
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 22:28   #27895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

I tend to disagree with this. I drive quite often between Trivandrum to Thrissur (atleast once a month) and have not found rash car/suv drivers though KSRTC/Interstate VOLVO/Scania/Private buses in some areas like Kochi/Calicut/Cannanore is a different story altogether. Only places where I have seen people to bit impatient are in some pockets Cannanore and Malapuram.
As for the report, I think the reporting of the cases due to strict vigilance by MVD/Police gets highlighted.

Ref: https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/...uments/477-sed

Quote:
The MVD had installed high resolution cameras in March last in the wake of increasing cases of rash driving and accidents in the area. “At least two to three thousand cases of speed limit violations are registered on the stretch every day. The department receives a monthly revenue of Rs 1.5-Rs 1.9 crore,” he said.
Ref: https://www.news18.com/news/india/ke...e-1802105.html

There are a lots of speed cameras through out Kerala apart from lots surprise checking by police with Speed cameras. Even once I was caught with high-beam which I had forgotten to set it low-beam when exiting 4 lane near Kochi (this was some 5+ years back).
kozhissery is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 09:00   #27896
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this accident today morning. Idiot biker almost got himself killed.
Hope he has learnt the lesson not to squeeze in every possible gap and to give all vehicles the space they require.

hemanth.anand is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 09:40   #27897
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That guy just got saved by a whisker!

These long trailers have a crazy turning radius and if other vehicles don't account for this especially when the trailer is taking a turn, they can get trapped or pinched. For no fault of the trailer.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 09:44   #27898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope he has learnt the lesson not to squeeze in every possible gap and to give all vehicles the space they require.

]
That idiot is very very lucky not to have been dragged under the trailer. Feel for the trucker as he will be harassed for no fault of his. Ideally, sharing this video clip with the cop would have cleared him immediately.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2019 at 13:28. Reason: Please avoid quoting Youtube link for replies. Affect readability. Thanks/
itwasntme is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:04   #27899
BHPian

Quote:
Please consider sharing this video with the police.
Truck number is visible in the video and you can easily find out the police station where he was taken to.
delay will reduce its usefulness.

I witnessed one such incident and when police were about victimize the truck driver, I pulled aside and invited the CI into my car and shown him the video and agreed to share it, if needed. One look at it and both police and victim acknowledged whose mistake is it and the truck driver was let go of.
All it took is 30 minutes for me but that poor truck driver would have saved a small fortune for himself, besides the trouble.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2019 at 13:28. Reason: Please avoid quoting Youtube link for replies. Affect readability. Thanks.
FORTified is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:07   #27900
BHPian

Quote:
+1.
Himself and most of two wheelers are not aware a blind spots of heavy vehicles. I bet most of them may have never heard of the term altogether.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 15th February 2019 at 10:09.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed