Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2019, 11:44   #28126
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
An accident in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu. Unfortunately, the rider died. It’s far too common seeing the heavy machines like JCB, tractors, backhoes, road rollers etc. crawling slowly on highways or crossing and blocking the roads without care.
Looks like the bike stalled, by the way the rider was pushing it with his feet, cant say for sure. But I have experienced something like this. I ride a Unicorn 160 and it is known to have a real piece of crap gearbox. Often (too often infact), it will fall into false neutrals and I wont have any power to pull away. Also if I decelerate rapidly, it wont shift down multiple gears at one go. I have to release the clutch at each gear change.

What I can understand is (from my experience too), the biker wanted to take a U-turn/cross. But once he saw the bulldozer, he had to brake. He probably expected to take the turn seamlessly, so didn't bother down shifting. So with the loss of speed, the bike lost power in the higher gear. Or as he tried to down shift, he got stuck in a false neutral and couldnt shift down low enough to get sufficient power to accelerate away. Stuck with a dead bike, he did the only logical thing: instead to trying to bring the bike to a stop, try to complete the maneuver using human power instead of horse power. Probably he expected to succeed, probably wanted to avoid the shame/ yelling if he stopped midway in between the insane stunt. End result: nothing. Rounded off statistic in the highway fatalities report.

Long post, but I have seen too many of these nutcases on a daily basis
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 13:44   #28127
Distinguished - BHPian

He just didn't care about pulling out without being able to see. Probably wouldn't have bothered to look anyway.

I find that my posts on these incidents are getting more cynical and hard-hearted. Sorry if it offends, but I take some comfort in seeing that I am not alone in recognising the horrible reality.

Sadly, I wonder if there is any point. Will anyone who rides or drives like that ever come to a thread like this and understand that they might be getting something very, very wrong? Let's have a small hope...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 14:01   #28128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Will anyone who rides or drives like that ever come to a thread like this and understand that they might be getting something very, very wrong? Let's have a small hope...

The trouble with such drivers/riders is that those who get by don't believe they did anything wrong, and those who don't, well, they aren't here to correct themselves.

Slim chance of things changing unless we start enforcing the rules with an iron hand.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 11:43   #28129
BANNED

Another accident involving a truck and a mini truck.

pavi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 12:41   #28130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
He should thank his stars that it wasn't a well & heavily built SUV.
.. or one of those vehicles which have the 'illegal' crash guard attached at the front. End result would've been much different in that case.
The crumple zone did its job perfectly here.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:46   #28131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
This is one common issue with bus drivers; stop on the road!

Thankfully the truck driver decided to move away from hitting the bus. The bus looks to be fully occupied, casualty could have been more.

Even if the bus had moved half off the road, probably the truck and the mini could have avoided colliding.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:15   #28132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
The person standing on road side appears to have NOT been hit. If he is safe, that's a very lucky escape for him. Although chances of survival of the pickup truck driver looks grim.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190320_131417.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190320_131435.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190320_131449.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 13:27   #28133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post

Thankfully the truck driver decided to move away from hitting the bus. The bus looks to be fully occupied, casualty could have been more.

Even if the bus had moved half off the road, probably the truck and the mini could have avoided colliding.
how can you make out any fault here other than with the truck driver?

Buses stop. Often without pulling in as much as they could. That is no excuse whatsoever for a vehicle pulling out onto the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic.

Murderous driving by the truck driver.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 13:33   #28134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
how can you make out any fault here other than with the truck driver?

Buses stop. Often without pulling in as much as they could. That is no excuse whatsoever for a vehicle pulling out onto the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic.

Murderous driving by the truck driver.
I agree. It's all truck driver's fault. He was coming in fast and was not attentive towards traffic in front.

And it is not like the bus stopped in the middle of a highway. It seems to be within town limits and hence the truck driver should have practiced more caution.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 13:59   #28135
BHPian

1) Bus should give left side indicator before stopping in advance
2) Bus should also apply hazard light indicators
3) Truck should slow down, wait behind bus and pass when it is safe.

Unfortunately, this is not the way it is driven in India. Nature has its own way of reducing population.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 14:16   #28136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
1) Bus should give left side indicator before stopping in advance
2) Bus should also apply hazard light indicators
1 & 2 are to ensure the truck driver is able to spot the halted bus.
Quote:
3) Truck should slow down, wait behind bus and pass when it is safe.
Did the truck driver realize that the bus has halted?
Quote:
Unfortunately, this is not the way it is driven in India. Nature has its own way of reducing population.
An expensive way of leaving this world and also causing trouble to next of kin. BTW, nature has no role in the scene - everything is collective folly of humans.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 14:47   #28137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Did the truck driver realize that the bus has halted
That's his responsibility. We can wonder if the bus's brake lights, etc, were working... but how many trucks have lights that do not work? Anyway, it would be a lame excuse. There are those who love to find reasons why, when a vehicle hits a stationary object, it is the fault of the stationary object. Almost always it is not.

Anyway, the truck does not seem to swerve, as far as I saw. Had he actually looked for other vehicles and avoided them, the path for the overtake would have been ok. He should, of coures, have slowed, because a stopped bus means people may cross the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:12   #28138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Not really, It is common for the buses to stop on single carriage ways like this; after all where else would they stop. It looks to be a bus stop assuming the guy standing on the opposite side also is waiting for a bus.

The truck looks to be trying to catch up his friend's truck who went ahead of the bus.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:56   #28139
BHPian

The trucker seems to have forgotten the basic rule of keeping a safe enough distance so that it could stop even if the Bus stopped bang on the road. It could also be that the buses stop lights were out, but since this was daytime and it should not be that much a trouble to figure out, that he has a stationary bus on the road. Completely the truckers fault here, I hope the other guy driving the Mini survived.

On the other hand the bystander seems to have had a miraculous escape! Imagine starting your day off like that!

Last edited by pratyush6 : 20th March 2019 at 20:04.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 22:04   #28140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The trucker seems to have forgotten the basic rule of keeping a safe enough distance ... ... ...
I don't know that speed was even an issue here. It seems to be cavalier overtaking with the attitude that the world must get out of his way.

Lot's of sympathy for the mini-truck guy. Does anybody know what happened to him? Also sympathy for the bus passengers suddenly having the mini-truck smashed up against their windows. Hope all was well amongst them.

At the end of the cctv clip, the truck door opens and the driver gets or falls out. Does he then run away? I would not make that out.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks