Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2019, 19:08   #28621
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Though it is important to wear a helmet, it is more important to chin strap it properly so that it does not fly off in case of an accident. Guess the place is near Nayandahalli bridge in Bangalore. Of course, the road condition is the reason for this to happen in the first place.

Nimalan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 21:54   #28622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
Though it is important to wear a helmet, it is more important to chin strap it properly so that it does not fly off in case of an accident. ... ... ...
A great illustration of how the helmet goes flying even in what looks like a relatively minor tumble.

Curious, though, how she sees the bump/hole/whatever-it-was and slows down for it but is still unable to negotiate it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th June 2019 at 06:38. Reason: typo
Old 29th May 2019, 09:54   #28623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Curious, though, how she she sees the bump/hole/whatever-it-was and slows down for it but is still unable to negotiate it.
Looks like the speed was still too much for the depth of the hole. She saw it late , slowed down , still ended up at a higher than comfortable speed for her to negotiate it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st May 2019 at 11:22. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 29th May 2019, 10:20   #28624
BHPian

The news reader says that the lady claims wearing a helmet saved her. As one can see on the clip, the helmet isn't strapped and gets flung far from her. She was lucky that she didn't land on her head.
Old 29th May 2019, 11:15   #28625
BHPian

As you can see from the video, as she goes under the bridge, which isn't well lit, she stumbles upon the hole and she has no time to react.
Old 29th May 2019, 11:47   #28626
BHPian

Quote:
Curious, though, how she she sees the bump/hole/whatever-it-was and slows down for it but is still unable to negotiate it.
Oh, that is welcome to Bengaluru during rainy season. Bengaluru contractors have this unique knack of quick-fix for potholes; dump 'm-sand' (crushed stones), loose soil or even worst - construction debris. Riding on these loose gravels are always prone to skids and loosing balance.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 11:52   #28627

Quote:
I think she was having a chat with the rider on her right, so probably wasn't paying attention to what lies ahead. This habit of two riders driving parallel and having a chat, oblivious to their surroundings, is annoying as well as dangerous.

Last edited by sohit15 : 29th May 2019 at 11:56.
sohit15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 13:31   #28628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohit15 View Post
I think she was having a chat with the rider on her right, so probably wasn't paying attention to what lies ahead. This habit of two riders driving parallel and having a chat, oblivious to their surroundings, is annoying as well as dangerous.
Good observation that. Looking at the video again, that does seem to be a possibility.

That distraction coupled with darker area and of course the pothole all combined to result in her fall.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:38   #28629
BHPian

The lady seems to have noticed the rough surface and had started to brake, going by the brake lights. She seems to have hit 2 bumps successively before going into a ditch. She is seen to be lifted from her seat and has kept her right foot on the ground. She may have jammed on the brakes at this time and lost her balance. She also gets pivoted on her right foot and gets thrown out of the scooter. The helmet, not being strapped, leaves her head to go flying away.

Last edited by swissknife : 29th May 2019 at 14:40.
Old 29th May 2019, 17:05   #28630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The news reader says that the lady claims wearing a helmet saved her.
The lady did not claim it. As per the news, it was insisted by Police Commissioner-West Bangalore-Sowmyalatha. She is the one who had shared the dash cam footage in her twitter account.

Last edited by Nimalan : 29th May 2019 at 17:06.
Nimalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 17:12   #28631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
The lady did not claim it. As per the news, it was insisted by Police Commissioner-West Bangalore-Sowmyalatha. She is the one who had shared the dash cam footage in her twitter account.
I am sorry. I missed the police portion and thought that Sowyalatha was the rider.

If the police think that "wearing" the helmet in that manner saved the lady, the situation is even worse than what I originally thought.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 20:04   #28632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If the police think that "wearing" the helmet in that manner saved the lady, the situation is even worse than what I originally thought.
After some digging, with the information from the news, found the original tweet with ease. Importance of helmet straps was indeed insisted in the original tweet.

http://twitter.com/DCPTrWestBCP/stat...94675638333442
Old 29th May 2019, 20:55   #28633
BHPian

Found this video, from long back, on my recorder. This is timestamped September 11 2018.

What looks to be an Indica or an i10 topped on Varthur - Attibele road in Bangalore. There was no one inside the car, but looks to have been a recent incident as I passed by as there were folks pulling things out of the car - might be the owners even.

I don't think it was due to the construction activity on the road as the levels are not that different that a car will topple over and align itself this way. If you see to the left of where the car is, the mud road has deep tyre / skid marks. Probably it was soft mud and the car which was coming in hot, dug in and flipped over.

In which case this might have been a more serious accident that I thought as the chances of injury / shock while flipping forward feels more serious.

herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 23:36   #28634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
We must plan the places to stop over in advance and know the places which might be open all night and relatively safer too.

I might take a good quality thermos flask full of hot coffee for the non-stop all-night drive after a busy day and a heavy dinner, if it's that unavoidable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Another important aspect is to avoid making the drive monotonous for instance driving at varying speeds helps break monotony rather than keeping the speedometer boringly constant for extended periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This car driver pulled over and was resting in his car when another lorry (whose driver reportedly dozed off) rammed into the car and sandwiched it with another lorry parked ahead of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
One needs to get off the road completely to be relatively safe. Not just right off the active carriageway, but away from it such that nobody could accidentally swerve into your back. A spacious fuel station, a rest stop or if on a well-designed multi-lane highway, a lay-by, are probably safer than taking a break right next to the road boundary, a common sight on our highways.
Few years back I had to travel from Delhi to Agra in night. This was an unplanned travel, so I couldn't prepare with the advice that I read here on team-bhp :
  • to have proper sleep before starting
  • have light meals the evening before
  • drink enough water
  • keep gums/mints like chloremint, centre fresh handy
The monotonous driving on Yamuna Expressway made me drowsy. With about 80 kms to destination, I decided to take nap but not just by parking on shoulder as it wasn't safe due to fear of someone ramming my vehicle from behind or someone robbing me.

Thinking for few minutes, I decided to take break on shoulder just ahead of the second toll plaza on YEW (which was around 2kms ahead). I parked my car barely 200m ahead of plaza and slept for about 30mins. Then I got up fresh and continued with ease.

Now, everytime I read news of any accident due to driver falling asleep, I think that was one of the few really wise decisions that I have made in my life.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 29th May 2019 at 23:42.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 23:48   #28635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
What looks to be an Indica or an i10...
But it's a repainted Santro Xing, since it was never offered in that shade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks