Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2019, 15:07   #28966
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There was a fatal accident in Nandanam in Chennai when 2 ladies on a bike died after brushing against a bike/bus and falling.
The ladies as well as the biker has overtaken the bus from the left, brushed each other and fallen, with the ladies falling in the path of the bus. The yellow auto rickshaw that merged into the traffic may have caused the biker to move a bit to the right and brush the ladies on the scooter.

Rahul
Old 16th July 2019, 15:26   #28967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a fatal accident in Nandanam in Chennai when 2 ladies on a bike died after brushing against a bike/bus and falling.
Reports say 3 people were on the bike which was driven by a male with 2 ladies as pillion. Only the rider wore a helmet which apparently was not strapped to his chin.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th July 2019 at 15:42. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 16th July 2019, 15:52   #28968
BHPian

The one who fell under the bus has two women pillions. Even if the auto which enters the road might have distracted both bikers, the one which fell under the bus has no business to be between the bus and the biker in blue. I see people overtake vehicles in nonexistent spaces on a daily basis in Chennai.
motobliss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 17:37   #28969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
I see people overtake vehicles in nonexistent spaces on a daily basis in Chennai.
A common phenomenon across the country. I always wonder how many seconds these riders intend to save by risking their lives
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 19:40   #28970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

One of the few Toyota's whose airbags actually worked.
Probably that is the reason the fatalities were only 2 and only injuring the other 3 in an accident of such magnitude.

From the pictures it looks to have happened just after the popular A2B outlet at Shoolagiri where there is also a huge petrol pump where many trucks pull over. Probably the car driver misjudged a slow moving truck that got on to the highway from that petrol pump.
Old 16th July 2019, 20:37   #28971
Team-BHP Support

Perennial argument on Indian roads:

'Why did you swerve into my lane?'

'That idiot blocked mine. What was I supposed to do?'

'Brake?'

'.....'

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2019 at 20:39.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 09:44   #28972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alas, today's "The Hindu" (Chennai edition) page 3 says that a litany of charges have been brought on the MTC bus driver - Overspeeding, rash driving etc. The driver is still in police custody.

I closed the newspaper at that point and threw it away. The world has enough misery in it already.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 09:55   #28973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Alas, today's "The Hindu" (Chennai edition) page 3 says that a litany of charges have been brought on the MTC bus driver - Overspeeding, rash driving etc. The driver is still in police custody.

I closed the newspaper at that point and threw it away. The world has enough misery in it already.
I don't think the driver would suffer too much due to the charges. The CCTV video should hopefully exonerate him in the courts.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 10:03   #28974
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I don't think the driver would suffer too much due to the charges. The CCTV video should hopefully exonerate him in the courts.
I hope & pray that the auto driver gets charged for negligence.
Old 17th July 2019, 10:03   #28975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I hope you're right. But to even place the man in custody overnight, to even think of slapping these charges on him...that's outrageous.

Heavy vehicle drivers in India are somewhat nonchalant about running people over, I'll agree to that. That's simply because they do run over people from time to time; not because they're sadists. So I'm sure this driver is used to the usual run of the mill (although I'm not sure that drivers are put in custody every time something like this occurs).

But, like Martin Niemoller's statement, I'm thinking about ourselves as car owners/drivers at this point. Is this what becomes of us when something like this happens? Would we as well be put in custody like this?

The hassles of going to court and winning/losing the case with or without evidence is an entirely different ballgame...
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 10:34   #28976
BHPian

Quote:
CCTV footage of the same.
It was surprising to see the bus kept moving even after running over people.
Wonder what the driving was going through.

Have heard that MTC bus brakes are notorious and the drivers dread to take some of the buses that do not stop.
In fact a driver refused to take the bus and jumped out of the building when he was forced to take the defective bus for his trip.
Pity the working conditions of these MTC bus drivers
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 10:42   #28977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
that a litany of charges have been brought on the MTC bus driver - Overspeeding, rash driving etc. The driver is still in police custody.

That is the norm, Police slap all the possible charges they think of. The MTC lawyers and or Insurance Co Lawyers fight the charges, and show the deceased at fault. Bail is decided as per the tension in the area, if there is no tension a driver is told to come for his arrest with a guarantor, and the arrest and bail process can happen in minutes.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 11:04   #28978

This happened last week near the start of Mumbai expressway from Pune, apparently the car was coming towards pune and went straight into a parked truck on the left, its a swift btw
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190708_110136.jpg  

Old 17th July 2019, 14:18   #28979

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
Another one from Guwahati, I received on Whatsapp.

Its a terrano and a bit bizzare and funny, locals came up with multiple theories, not sure about when it happened though.
It is flying saucer for sure..... as there is no road visible from where the Terrano could have reached this position!
Bluey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 16:00   #28980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Have heard that MTC bus brakes are notorious and the drivers dread to take some of the buses that do not stop.
In fact a driver refused to take the bus and jumped out of the building when he was forced to take the defective bus for his trip.
Pity the working conditions of these MTC bus drivers
There was an incident several years ago at the TNagar bus terminus. The bus was exiting the terminus at crawling speeds and at the exit an aged person did not see the bus crawling and was caught under the bus. Investigation revealed that the driver did apply brakes but it was not effective. Further details were shown in court to prove that the buses are purposefully kept on weaker brakes and driven at higher gears to extract maximum fuel efficiency.

For most of the time in MTCs while braking one could clearly hear the worn out pads rubbing against the drums and making loud screeching noise.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th July 2019 at 17:49. Reason: Spacing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks