Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 16:04   #28996
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
A front tyre burst on Innova caused it to jump to the opposite lane and hit a truck near Chitradurga on NH4. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There will also be a background for these observations. ... GC is not something that will play against the Innova. It is neither on stilts nor a sleeper so its pretty okay in that regard.
A tyre burst by itself need not cause a roll over, however, abrasion with the median can cause a roll over and a tyre-burst. Quite often, driving really close to the median will cause the tyre to make contact with the grippy surface of the median wall and due to the momentum, the tyre will climb over. At some point, the side wall tear and this gets reported in the news as a tyre-burst that caused the accident.

When the driver cannot control the vehicle after a tyre burst, the consequences can be fatal. This has to do with the preparedness of the driver and of course the skill. Driving within one's ability and road conditions is still a skill that is alien to most.

Innovas are dime a dozen, so, what percentage of the vehicles sold end up in accidents will be a better metric than going by absolute numbers or media reports.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:07   #28997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A front tyre burst on Innova caused it to jump to the opposite lane and hit a truck near Chitradurga on NH4. 5 people died in the mishap.
While I am not sure about this accident, but many times tyre burst happens after losing control and/or hitting something.

News about this accident.

Quote:
Police said car was heading to Badami and it was over speeding. "On prima facie driver’s negligence is reason for the accident," they added.

Last edited by airbus : 18th July 2019 at 16:11.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:11   #28998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen multiple accidents involving mostly Innovas and other high GC vehicles jumping to opposite lanes. Isnt there a stability feature that could prevent such jumping over of vehicles. It not only endangers the people in such high GC vehicles but also the people on opposite lanes.

Is Innova a high GC vehicle. Definitely not, I've had two Innova till date, and differential scraping or cross member below gearbox scraping was a regular occurrence. Infact low GC is the only reason I stopped buying Innova and shifted to Terrano and Ecosport.
Lastly whatever the cars GC, and whatever height the center of gravity is, it is for the drivers to understand that and stick to suitable speeds.

Rahul
Old 18th July 2019, 20:43   #28999
BHPian

"Police said car was heading to Badami and it was over speeding. "On prima facie driver’s negligence is reason for the accident," they added".

Very obvious statement above-
Every accident is driver's fault. Either one or more. Only exceptions are of course, mechanical faults and acts of God.
Old 18th July 2019, 22:17   #29000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
. There has to be accountability from the school as well in such situations...
Am not sure what you mean, the school bus was T-boned, there was not much that the school bus could do apart from insist on passengers wearing a belt
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 22:44   #29001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A front tyre burst on Innova caused it to jump to the opposite lane .... Isnt there a stability feature that could prevent such jumping over of vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Vehicles jumping over .. two aspects in preventing vehicles from jumping into opposite lane:
1. Vehicle factors:
2. Road factors:
There is a third aspect, the Driving factor:
Most of these tyre bursts are as a result of the front right wheel hitting/slamming the divider as a result of driving on the right most lane for long periods/continuously very close to the divider - A very dangerous habit that leads to most of these tyre bursts and jumping over to the other side.

As soon as an overtaking is done, better go back to the left or middle lane and stay away from that divider.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 06:57   #29002
Senior - BHPian

I saw this CCTV footage of an accident - probably in Bihar (?close to Patna) where a dentist died apparently. I'm not sure when this happened or exactly where it took place.

The junction itself looks funny - the driver realises too late he is not in the correct line and swerves, overcorrects and crashes onto an oncoming vehicle.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 07:38   #29003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I saw this CCTV footage of an accident - probably in Bihar (?close to Patna)
This happened on 14th July morning. It happened in Bettiah, and it's not near Patna. The news mentions that the Scorpio suffered a tyre burst, lost control and hit the Celerio which I doubt. It looks more like the Scorpio aquaplaned on a road side puddle. Moreover the person driving the car doesn't appear to be belted and is flung outside. Although one can see that the airbags have popped out in both the vehicles. Details here - https://hindi.dynamitenews.com/story...m-narkatiaganj

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th July 2019 at 07:40.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:09   #29004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This happened on 14th July morning. It happened in Bettiah, and it's not near Patna. The news mentions that the Scorpio suffered a tyre burst, lost control and hit the Celerio which I doubt. It looks more like the Scorpio aquaplaned on a road side puddle. Moreover the person driving the car doesn't appear to be belted and is flung outside. Although one can see that the airbags have popped out in both the vehicles. Details here - https://hindi.dynamitenews.com/story...m-narkatiaganj
Thanks for the clarification (Can mods please change the accident site to Bettiah please)
The ZeeBihar video has some pics and footage post-accident showing the cabin too. Is one of the vehicles an official or government vehicle?
(Video has some graphic post-accident pics, so not posting here - can mods link to youtube. com/watch?v=ZpBgNec3agA without posting the video on this page please)

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 19th July 2019 at 10:12.
Old 19th July 2019, 10:51   #29005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I saw this CCTV footage of an accident - probably in Bihar (?close to Patna) where a dentist died apparently. I'm not sure when this happened or exactly where it took place.

The junction itself looks funny - the driver realises too late he is not in the correct line and swerves, overcorrects and crashes onto an oncoming vehicle.
Scorpio clearly looked like aquaplaning, sad to see such mishaps happening very often. It seems Scorpio was speeding a bit and driver could not control the car on the curve under wet conditions.

General rule under rainy conditions is to slow down, drive sedately so as to avoid sudden steering inputs/braking.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:06   #29006
BHPian

I would've literally peed my pants if I was the driver here. Can't these skilled gentlemen atleast subdue their shenanigans when it's raining ?

jailbird_fynix is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:16   #29007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
I would've literally peed my pants if I was the driver here.
True that. Whoever that driver is, he surely got skills. The braking was just spot on. It was neither sudden nor too late, just in time.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 19th July 2019 at 12:19.
the_skyliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 13:05   #29008
BHPian

Quote:
I would've literally peed my pants if I was the driver here. Can't these skilled gentlemen atleast subdue their shenanigans when it's raining ?

These private bus drivers are the worst in Kerala. Even on 2 lane road these guys just come head-on.

Seeing this video itself my heart started beating heavily. The lady in the car for sure is scared much!
Crazy KL bus drivers.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:28   #29009
BHPian

Quote:
I would've literally peed my pants if I was the driver here. Can't these skilled gentlemen atleast subdue their shenanigans when it's raining?
Can hear a continuous beep in the audio. Is it the seatbelt alarm? If so, someone had a very very lucky day.

Last edited by racer_ash : 19th July 2019 at 14:29. Reason: Removed video from quote
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:34   #29010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
These private bus drivers are the worst in Kerala. Even on 2 lane road these guys just come head-on.
Crazy KL bus drivers.
I hate to generalize but you are right and almost without exception, they are absolute morons. They think that they're actually good drivers. Absolute nutcases.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks