Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 12:29   #29026
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Two women professors were killed on the spot and one is critically injured in an accident in Indore.

The driver of the SUV that hit their car at high speed was on a test drive from the Mahindra ASS.

None of the three lady professors wore seatbelts, airbags did not deploy as the car was T-boned and the one sitting at the rear was half flung out of the window when the car somersaulted.

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-prof1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-prof2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-prof3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-prof4.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 14:21. Reason: Minor spacing
WasavaTyres is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 13:24   #29027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Accident happened in Kerala highway. Crossing road carelessly.

The girl is safe.
Lucky for her. Sadly people crossing roads still cannot judge speeds of vehicles approaching them. The safest bet then is, just wait. But we are a bunch of impatient beings, be it behind the wheel or on two legs.

As for the pick up driver, it's quite obvious to expect someone to jump out in front of a stopped bus. He should have been on his guard and reduced speeds.

As a learning driver, I was advised to look from under the bus when approaching it for legs visible, since we are blind to someone walking in front of it. Now a days with low floor buses, it may not be possible, but always good to slow down when in doubt.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 14:22. Reason: Formatting quoted post and spacing in reply
tharian is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 15:46   #29028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accident happened in Kerala highway. Crossing road carelessly.
Scary to see the close up picture of the girl at such an abnormal angle on the bonnet. The driver seems to have taken his hands off the steering in fear.
Also this looks creepy - the biker shooting a video of the girl crossing. Is he a bystander or the girls partner/relative?
Old 20th July 2019, 17:26   #29029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Also this looks creepy - the biker shooting a video of the girl crossing. Is he a bystander or the girls partner/relative?
The girl, after seeing the person the other side who was recording, gave a smile and got distracted to a point where it was too late to go back.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 17:57   #29030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
... Is he a bystander or the girls partner/relative?

If he would have been the girl's relative/partner, why would he release the disturbing video?
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 19:57   #29031
Senior - BHPian

https://www.news18.com/news/india/9-...y-2238553.html

Quote:
Nine students were killed after their car rammed into a truck on the Pune-Solapur Highway here in the early hours of Saturday, police said.

The accident took place around 1.30 am near Kadamwak Wasti.
He added that all the nine occupants of the car, who were in the age group of 19-23 years, were killed in the accident.
Too much of the usual combination we have seen in this forum.
1. Highway
2. 9 people
3. 1.30 am
4. 19-23 years old
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 20:19   #29032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
As for the pick up driver, it's quite obvious to expect someone to jump out in front of a stopped bus. He should have been on his guard and reduced speeds.
The bus hasn't even come to a stop when she started crossing and she might be completely hidden by the bus.

I also slow down & look under stopped buses for people crossing. But this one doesn't even look like a designated bus stop. In my opinion, 90% fault is with the lady. She didn't even look to the right before entering 2nd lane after crossing bus from the front. Glad to see the she survived with not so serious injury.

Still confused why was this captured in video.
Midas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 20:50   #29033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vehicle is strong but the pillars.? So many people complain about thick A pillars on vehicles. This is what happens if the pillars are thin.
A thinner looking pillar of a Monocoque frame vehicle can be much stronger than a thicker looking but weaker pillar of an ladder on frame vehicle.

Most ladder on frame vehicles (like a Bolero) have a weaker passenger cage and its passenger cage is less cohesive. For eg: Ambassadors and other ladder on frame cars though butch looking actually have low integrity cabins which can open up on impact unlike monocoques whose cage and pillars can hold up better during impact and rollovers.

Monocoque vehicles by design have their entire load borne by its frame and its pillars have much more integrity and more resistance to deforming forces.

I'm not saying that all LoF vehicles are weak and all monocoques are strong. Monocoque frames are generally much safer, there are always exceptions everywhere.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 20th July 2019 at 20:57.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 02:25   #29034
Senior - BHPian

The swift spun out of control at high speed at the RTR flyover and hit the divider.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-e2368c91b34c4200b525efed07b65b31.jpeg  

Old 21st July 2019, 07:20   #29035
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
She didn't even look to the right before entering 2nd lane after crossing bus from the front. Glad to see the she survived with not so serious injury.
I would say that 100% fault is of the lady, either remove the concept of divided 4 lane roads or let people drive at designated speeds. In even sparsely populated areas or the bypass roads of the cities; you will find probably 50 buses parked roadside, shall we start slowing down to 40 kph every time?

I too have crossed the road in such a manner a few times, not just buses, even the parked SUVs also pose such a threat, but the first thing I do is this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pubgmobile41768x424.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
As a learning driver, I was advised to look from under the bus when approaching it for legs visible, since we are blind to someone walking in front of it. Now a days with low floor buses, it may not be possible, but always good to slow down when in doubt.
Indeed a good idea, but it would be even better if the population is educated to cross from behind the vehicles (which at least I normally do), at times people de-board the bus and jam its' own way

Two situations which I normally take care of are:
  • A bus that has just stopped (Especially school buses, I once had a heart in the mouth moment)
  • If a ball crosses the road, someone will definitely follow; I didn't had a kid follow inside my colony - it was the father himself. Just that I got cautious and reduced the speed of the car expecting that someone will definitely follow with his/her target locked at the ball
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 15:49   #29036
Distinguished - BHPian

As a pedestrian, I have crossed behind buses since the day I nearly didn't get beyond the age of 16.

As a driver, I not only look for legs but expect that something/someone will probably emerge from such a blind spot.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 23:23   #29037
Senior - BHPian

Another case of pressing accelerator instead of brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Not an accident, but a narrow escape from a major one
That was close. By the way, your post belongs to this thread.

Last edited by self_driven : 21st July 2019 at 23:26.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:20   #29038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Most ladder on frame vehicles (like a Bolero) have a weaker passenger cage and its passenger cage is less cohesive. For eg: Ambassadors and other ladder on frame cars though butch looking actually have low integrity cabins which can open up on impact unlike monocoques whose cage and pillars can hold up better during impact and rollovers.

A slight correction here. Ambassador or Hindustan that preceded it was the first monocoque in Indian market. The Premier Padmini was a semi monocoque with a chassis to support the Engine and front suspension.
Cars designed before the cash norms all had weaker pillars, both ladder on frame or monocoque. Monocoques were marginally stronger, as the pillars and roof members needed to be strong to prevent the floor plate from flexing.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:56   #29039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
A slight correction here. Ambassador or Hindustan that preceded it was the first monocoque in Indian market.
Rahul
Right you are! I remember a senior member here letting on earlier on a different thread as well - the Ambassador had half a frame beneath the engine at the front and a half underpinning the rear, if I remember his inputs right. I still am unable to search out that discussion.

In that discussion, I had essentially asked the gurus here how exactly did Marazzo end up with a safe crash rating despite being a body on frame. The reply to that was that the Marazzo has a different "hybrid" design whereby it is joined to the underlying frame in a way which is totally unlike how bodies are bolted on to the frame in typical body on frame designs. And speaking about funny body on frame designs, that was when this insight about the Ambassador came to be mentioned...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:07   #29040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
In that discussion, I had essentially asked the gurus here how exactly did Marazzo end up with a safe crash rating despite being a body on frame. The reply to that was that the Marazzo has a different "hybrid" design whereby it is joined to the underlying frame in a way which is totally unlike how bodies are bolted on to the frame in typical body on frame designs. And speaking about funny body on frame designs, that was when this insight about the Ambassador came to be mentioned...

That got me thinking .We still do not have a decently priced body on frame with worthy crash rating. Lowest priced body on frame vehicles with decent crash rating at this point are the Fortuner and Endeavour at 40 lakhs. People consider Bolero, Scorpio , Sumo , Safari as tanks , but none of them have a decent crash rating and will probably perform poorly when compared to humble Nexon and Brezza .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks