Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:20   #29041
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Right you are! I remember a senior member here letting on earlier on a different thread as well
Quoting the post you're referring to below for everyone's benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The Marrazo in kind of a hybrid platorm. They have done some fusion between the monoqoque and body on frame. The monoqoque body is fused with the cross members. Rather than the typical body mounts on regular body on frame vehicles.

The Montero (Latest Gen Pajero/Shogun) has a different approach where there is a partial chasis under the monqoque body to hold the drive train and the suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
That got me thinking .We still do not have a decently priced body on frame with worthy crash rating. Lowest priced body on frame vehicles with decent crash rating at this point are the Fortuner and Endeavour at 40 lakhs. People consider Bolero, Scorpio , Sumo , Safari as tanks , but none of them have a decent crash rating and will probably perform poorly when compared to humble Nexon and Brezza .
1. Marazzo is a body on frame with a 4* rating.
2. When did million+ ₹ cars become humble

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 14:21. Reason: Formatting quoted post
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:38   #29042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Quoting the post you're referring to below for everyone's benefit.
Thank you sir, so yeah, 4x4 Addict had shared with us how the Marazzo's safer with a hybrid method of making a body on frame vehicle.

And then on the same thread, member sasi405 had shared this dollop of knowledge about the Ambassador over here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4596378

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the Ambassador of yesteryear only had a half chassis. The engine and drivetrain was held in this chassis and the rest of the car was a monocoque. Strange, but true.
So scratch what I'd said earlier; the Amby had half a chassis only at the front. The rest of the car was a monocoque!

Last edited by locusjag : 22nd July 2019 at 10:39.
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:47   #29043
Senior - BHPian

@locusjag

Body on frame is not inherently dangerous, the safety totally depends upon the way the body is mounted.

The clamp and bolt type in older Jeep, Gypsy, is extremely dangerous.

The body bolted to a bracket which is MIG welded to the chassis, and indirectly a part of the chassis like in first Gen G-wagen, vintage Range-rovers, and home grown Sierra, Estate, sumo, First Gen Safari, T Trax etc is a considerably safer.

The pressed Chassis which have integral bolt points in the Chassis itself to which the body is bolted can even be more safer than a monocoque like in post 2005 Safari, Innova, Fortuner, Endeavor, Hexa, and all modern Chassis on Body vehicles.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 14:20. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:31   #29044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I would say that 100% fault is of the lady.

Indeed a good idea, but it would be even better if the population is educated to cross from behind the vehicles (which at least I normally do), at times people de-board the bus and jam its' own way
We need to install Crossing Arm, found in US / Canada School buses. But, we need for all buses, especially Local transport buses.

If our people were sensible, we could've eliminated the need for speed breakers. Off course, we do have Bad drivers too, who don't adhere to the speed limits.
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:58   #29045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I would say that 100% fault is of the lady, either remove the concept of divided 4 lane roads or let people drive at designated speeds.
100% agree. The lady is lacking in anticipation, which is key for using the roads. This points to poor traffic education and unfortunately, lady is in majority group in our country.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:23   #29046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Still confused why was this captured in video.
Looks as though the lady was probably hurrying joyfully towards the person capturing her on cam, who could be a friend or a relative. This person's presence would have added to her distraction.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:28   #29047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
That got me thinking .We still do not have a decently priced body on frame with worthy crash rating. Lowest priced body on frame vehicles with decent crash rating at this point are the Fortuner and Endeavour at 40 lakhs.

If a 4 star rating is acceptable for a ladder on frame, Marazzo is the cheapest followed by the Hexa and Crysta. Now all three loose on the pedestrian protection and not on occupant safety.
Another point I'd like to raise is the crash test itself. The block that NCAP carries the crash test against is almost on the floor, instead of that block, if a trucks under run bar placed at 660mm is used many of these crash test reports would defer considerably.

Rahul
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:35   #29048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
If a 4 star rating is acceptable for a ladder on frame, Marazzo is the cheapest followed by the Hexa and Crysta. Now all three loose on the pedestrian protection and not on occupant safety.

Rahul

I was looking for hard classifications just for the sake of it and have no intention of bashing car preferences based on monocoque or LOF or hybrid. But , Marazzo is technically a hybrid of ladder on frame and monocoque and hence does not belong with other LOFs. Hexa has no record of passing a crash test anywhere in the world. Though I read somehwere erstwhile Aria was designed with 4 star Euro NCAP in mind. Crysta is 4 star rated as you mentioned. I guess , I should stop going off topic now.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 22nd July 2019 at 17:40.
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:32   #29049
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
So scratch what I'd said earlier; the Amby had half a chassis only at the front. The rest of the car was a monocoque!

Actually it is not just in the front. It has some sort of chasis/frame whereever the suspension meets the body. I know this for sure cause I am restoring a Mark - II HM Ambassador.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190705-13.02.24.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190705-13.02.201.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190705-13.02.20.jpeg  

4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:33   #29050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A fatal accident at Jaipurs JDA circle yesterday.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le28497363.ece
While the accident itself is shocking, what was more unbelievable was the apathy of the motorists who went past as if nothing happened.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd July 2019 at 13:34. Reason: removed embedded video.
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:38   #29051
BHPian

Ford Ecosport rolls over multiple times. Driver walks unhurt

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fordecosportaccident218x150.jpg
While going through a whatsApp group today and same article on gaadiwaadi.com, i came across an article which shows a Ford Ecosport rolling over multiple times at a very good speed and the driver walking away unhurt as per the eyewitness. In the video, it is clearly seen the terrible rollover that the car has encountered and how it has jumped the divider. Despite all this the driver was seen walking away unhurt. Am pasting the link for the same below. The interview of the eyewitness is in punjabi.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/ford-ecosport...-walks-unhurt/

Incidence apart, but this re-iterates our faith in the build quality of Ford.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2019 at 08:08. Reason: Please stick to the topic
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:27   #29052
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport rolls over multiple times. Driver walks unhurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Attachment 1897926
While going through a whatsApp group today and same article on gaadiwaadi.com, i came across an article which shows a Ford Ecosport rolling over multiple times at a very good speed and the driver walking away unhurt as per the eyewitness.
A Video of this accident has already been posted on 18th July #28990
One warning for all, In Jan 2017 even I had walked out after a rollover due to a fractured steering rack link rod ball joint, but the whip lash injury to my neck still troubles me after all the time.
The car was a Polo, and its strong built did keep me safe.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 24th July 2019 at 09:30.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:34   #29053
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport rolls over multiple times. Driver walks unhurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Incidence apart, but this re-iterates our faith in the build quality of Ford.
That may be true, but on the other hand this isn't the first time a Ford Ecosport has turned over and "paltied". According to the eyewitness the car had turned over just by losing control and not due to any impact.. and that points out to the poor overall balance of the car. There was news of the Ecosport turning over during launch time as well and 2-3 other similar incidents.

I've never liked the stance/design of the Ecosport to begin with, its too compact and too tall for the proportions.. the height is too much for a sub 4m UV. A sedan or a shorter 4m car would've never turned over to begin with since they're not top-heavy.

Overall to be safe, I'd say the minimum UV size should be Duster/Creta.. under 4m one can buy hatches like i20, Baleno, Figo etc. Compact supertall UVs like TUV and Ecosport are just plain AWKWARD.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 10:12   #29054
Senior - BHPian

http://photos.app.goo.gl/ajzQjKjHfdQVBH1UA

For some reason youtube is not allowing to upload this video. If the above link works - this could be one of the most hilarious accidents seen in India!
svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 10:29   #29055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
http://photos.app.goo.gl/ajzQjKjHfdQVBH1UA

For some reason Youtube is not allowing to upload this video. If the above link works - this could be one of the most hilarious accidents seen in India!

"Let me go, I am trying to die here!!"

Worth the click and the wait
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed