Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 21:14   #29281
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thanks for spreading the word; I've not seen anyone mentioning this particular tip on this forum in all these years. And I certainly don't see anyone trying it on the road either.
This defensive driving method has been discussed upteen times on Team-BHP, though under various threads. And based on the discussions, I am sure many BHPians are following it; but our percentage is minuscule among the masses.

Cross-posting my own post from another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I too follow same approach while driving on Indian 'highways'. Let go the accelerator and ready to brake on first sight of potential threat (as detailed by you). It gives that extra fraction of second, if not seconds, to react and let my vehicle react.

Also, I keep a watch on road ahead through the glasses of vehicles in front of me (and thanks to the regulation mandating high mounted stop lamps), I am ready to brake when I see a few reds ahead. God I hate those blackened rear glasses or over stacked parcel shelves.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 01:39   #29282
BHPian

I had to stay late in office today (Aug 14th) due to work. So, I started from office around 12:15am. I saw this on the way.

No idea how it happened.
Sorry for the low light video! My 70mai dashcam can only capture that much. Also, to save space, I'm recording in 720p, not 1080p.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:06   #29283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
I had to stay late in office today (Aug 14th) due to work. So, I started from office around 12:15am. I saw this on the way.
No idea how it happened.
Sorry for the low light video! My 70mai dashcam can only capture that much. Also, to save space, I'm recording in 720p, not 1080p.
Seems like a "regular" Indian driver, who doesn't look in to the signal caused this accident. When cars were waiting for green signal in the junction, this guy sped and rammed in to them https://twitter.com/ShubhamMangla/st...78372309569536
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:01   #29284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
but this is what I would continue to do as long as road and traffic condition permit. It is not just flying objects but a lot of other reasons beyond this incident and we all know them.
You are not alone in this Parag. After hearing and seeing a lot of these incidents and umpteen other surprises (well, none of these should be surprises on Indian roads), I too follow left or center lane driving, whenever possible.
One of my apartment mates suffered a horrible accident on Hosur road when a Tata 407 jumped the median and collided with his car. The accident left him bed-ridden for a couple of months and just started walking with the help of a walking stick now.
As for surprises that I mentioned, we have people, animals, bikes and even big vehicles crossing over medians where they are not supposed to. We have anything from bullock carts to tanker trucks coming in opposite direction on the high speed lane (Switching on the headlights is all what is required ) In many of these situations, as you mentioned, the left or center lane gives you a split second more to react. But left lane is also not fool proof. There are people who can make matters worse there also.

Last edited by A350XWB : 14th August 2019 at 12:02.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:56   #29285
Senior - BHPian

Someone posted this in fb Tiago group. At 80kmph rammed into static truck. No injuries to anyone. They are greatly impressed by build quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1565774520109.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1565774507598.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:01   #29286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
We need to have high raise medians just like the ones in cities, which will stop these rockets and also help in blocking the high beams from the opposite side.
In highways nowadays they are planting flowering plants to block the high beams from opposite side. Though it won’t stop flying cars, but surely it’s better to the environment rather than concrete high raise medians.

Quote:
The only negative of this is, you will easily miss the most wanted restaurant or coffee shop in the opposite lane on a highway.
Having two legs to walk at the end of our journey would be much appreciated than a fully filled stomach
india008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:09   #29287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
In highways nowadays they are planting flowering plants to block the high beams from opposite side. Though it won’t stop flying cars, but surely it’s better to the environment rather than concrete high raise medians.
Though this serves the purpose you quoted, it opens up a new issue of attracting the cattle near by. Ends up in Man and Animal Conflict
Old 14th August 2019, 16:21   #29288
BHPian

Quote:
Though this serves the purpose you quoted, it opens up a new issue of attracting the cattle near by. Ends up in Man and Animal Conflict
There are certain species of plants and trees which do not attract cattle as the leaves are probably not appetizing or are difficult to digest for them. This is how it is being done on the OMR in Chennai.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le28816628.ece
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:23   #29289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
This is actually quite dangerous. They will block the light, but comes with a lot of problems.
  1. Plants don't block vehicles which deviate off from the other side.
  2. They literally block your view; if something or someone is coming from the other side of the road, you cannot see it until it hits you, leaving no chance of an evasive maneuver.
  3. People come to pluck the flowers from these plants and move around randomly on the median and sometimes, on to the road. (daily sight on Hosur Road).
  4. Jaywalkers, people who try illegal cross overs on the medians are well concealed. They don't see you, you don't see them.
  5. They don't act as a barricade to stop the above mentioned group. Solid guards restrict the people from jumping across the median to a large extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
There are certain species of plants and trees which do not attract cattle as the leaves are probably not appetizing or are difficult to digest for them. This is how it is being done on the OMR in Chennai.
Planting trees on the median is also not a good idea. Barricades are designed in such a way that it absorbs the impact energy and deflects/contain the debris, in case of an impact. A tree will not have that mercy. That's the reason why you see scientifically designed crash barriers in most countries and not trees or plants.

Last edited by A350XWB : 14th August 2019 at 16:28.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:26   #29290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Someone posted this in fb Tiago group. At 80kmph rammed into static truck. No injuries to anyone. They are greatly impressed by build quality.
For sure this car was not at 80 kmph, when it hit the stationary truck. Check following video to see what happens when you hit static object at 50/70/90 kmph. At speeds higher than 70, you can be rest assured that front cabin would not remain intact.
Most likely, driver would have braked hard and hit the truck at speed of 40 or lower.

I remain skeptical about the information shared on social media, it could be someone bragging his life or could be a case of accident turned into marketing gimmick

Last edited by Acharya : 14th August 2019 at 16:31.
Acharya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:26   #29291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le28816628.ece
It's quite often the grass growing on the medians which attracts the cows and the cowherds to the medians; I've even seen people guiding cows to have their fill of grass along the medians. The recent rains have led to green offshoots on the medians (and sadly not in our economy!) and the cows have been making merry and wreaking havoc on our highways around Chennai.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:31   #29292
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that’s very much correct.

What I am witnessing on ground is, NHAI making service roads all along the highway and fencing is being done between NH and Service roads, just like the expressways, to prevent cattle or unwanted entry by motorcycle or humans into the highways. Since I am a regular highway traveller, I am witnessing this change mainly in Nellore - Ongole NH. We must wait some more years to get it fully done hopefully.
india008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 19:31   #29293
BHPian

This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.

Earlier today, I was stuck in traffic when I witnessed a similar incident. An Etios taxi tried to overtake another vehicle by speeding full on into the completely waterlogged left lane, thrashing water everywhere and (BAM!) ending up stuck in a deep, concealed pothole. I literally face-palmed myself. How can we be expected to feel sorry for such acts of idiocy?

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 14th August 2019 at 19:43.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:52   #29294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.
Plainly, he is not a racing driver in a racing car on a racing track --- but thinks that he and his his car have those skills and abilities. He doesn't know the meaning of "wet road," either. Hands up who's perfect. Well, none of us. But this guy is one of the biggest idiots to feature on this thread for a while

It is a pity that his idiocy has involved several other vehicles.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:06   #29295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
An Etios taxi tried to overtake another vehicle by speeding full on into the completely waterlogged left lane. How can we be expected to feel sorry for such acts of idiocy?
If closely look at the first couple of seconds, it is the Bolero that was overtaking an Innova, and the Swift overtook both of them and caused this Tora-Tora!
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed