Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 22:12   #29296
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If closely look at the first couple of seconds, it is the Bolero that was overtaking an Innova, and the Swift overtook both of them and caused this Tora-Tora!
That was a nice observation, I too just checked the same and discovered that indeed, it is this chhori (Swift), who distracted the chhora (Invader); and caused the Tora-Tora
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 02:10   #29297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.

Lovely driving there. I'm sure that Swift had at least ABS but his style of driving at this point kept him far ahead of the possibility of redemption by the same.

Further, this video made me wonder just how different this scenario would have been if the Swift and the Mahindra/Jeep both had all the three protections of ABS, ESC and EBD on them. Like some decent car like 320d or Octavia, etc for example. Wouldn't have been so dramatic, I guess. At least on the Jeeps part. The fact that the new Swift is feather-light didnt help things either. Of course its a "kitna-deti-hai" Vehicle. Kuch de ya na de, drama badhiya deti hai .

From my observation, I've seen a lot of cars flying around in umpteen videos but when it comes to it nobody can quite do it like the Swift/Desire fellows. They really nail it. Full drama.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th August 2019 at 11:13. Reason: trimmed quoted post
pixantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 02:21   #29298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Further, this video made me wonder just how different this scenario would have been if the Swift and the Mahindra/Jeep both had all the three protections of ABS, ESC and EBD on them. Like some decent car like 320d or Octavia, etc for example. Wouldn't have been so dramatic, I guess. At least on the Jeeps part. The fact that the new Swift is feather-light didnt help things either. Of course its a "kitna-deti-hai" Vehicle. Kuch de ya na de, drama badhiya deti hai .
This really isn't about weight, safety features, or center of gravity IMO. Ofcourse if it were a low slung sedan with loads of safety kit it might have been a different story but if one relies on that to get them out of sticky situations then one should simply not be entrusted to overtake in the rain. Anyone with even a little driving experience ought to know that it is a good practice to stay one gear lower in the rain to add load on the front wheels thereby enhancing their traction as well as keeping everything in check. Had the Swift simply rev-matched down a gear or two this would not have happened.
IshaanIan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 07:33   #29299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. The fact that the new Swift is feather-light didnt help things either. .
Sorry, just curious about this statement. What does it mean? That the swift was so light, it aquaplaned/skidded and went airborne, where a polo or a fabia would not have?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:22   #29300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.

How can we be expected to feel sorry for such acts of idiocy?
Is it by any chance a one-way street?

Looks to me that it could have been a one-way street and the swift was surprised to see a vehicle approaching head-on and thus had to take a (swift) decision and brake hard leading to all the skid etc.?
Old 15th August 2019, 08:43   #29301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Is it by any chance a one-way street?
It is the MC Road (Kerala SH1, Trivandrum-Angamali). Unlikely that it is a one-way there. I think this is the fuel station: https://goo.gl/maps/LFSKaF7exN7184a66
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:01   #29302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Had the Swift simply rev-matched down a gear or two this would not have happened.
I had to Google rev matching to grasp what it is.

However, I had a different concept in mind - and please don't laugh at this - while playing some assorted racing video games (ones for which the developers won awards for realism), I noticed that being in a lower gear affords more traction to the powered wheels. So let's say I'm ripping it across a curve in snow or rain (slippery surfaces), if I were in a higher gear I would spin out. But if I were in a lower gear, the car would stick to the road superbly.

Sadly, I could never try this out in the US since there are no manual transmission cars and also because one feels scared to take real world risks in snow and ice. Same holds for India, where speed in itself is scary, no matter if it rains or not...but can anyone tell me if my theory about better grip in lower gears is a thing?

Or were my teenage years spent video gaming an entire lie?
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:03   #29303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is the MC Road (Kerala SH1, Trivandrum-Angamali). Unlikely that it is a one-way there. I think this is the fuel station: https://goo.gl/maps/LFSKaF7exN7184a66
Thanks. It'd then appear, the swift was in a rush and has been on that overtake maneuver going onto the opposite traffic lane in an effort to overtake at least 3 vehicles in a row - the gypsy (?), the innova, and the red car behind the innova.

What possibly made it worse was that there was a bend in the road - the kalikavu junction.

Haste, for sure, made waste!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:52   #29304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Sadly, I could never try this out in the US since there are no manual transmission cars and also because one feels scared to take real world risks in snow and ice. Same holds for India, where speed in itself is scary, no matter if it rains or not...but can anyone tell me if my theory about better grip in lower gears is a thing?
It is true. Try taking a corner even in the dry at 60kmph in 4th and then do the same in 2nd or 3rd and you will definitely feel the difference.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:59   #29305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It is true. Try taking a corner even in the dry at 60kmph in 4th and then do the same in 2nd or 3rd and you will definitely feel the difference.
Thanks! Wonder what the physics behind that is. Is it because in lower gears, the powered wheels are more tightly wound and are that much more connected to the engine?

And yes, I can finally think to myself with a bit more confidence that the Swift in the video could've opted to overtake in a lower gear and it may not have spun out, assuming it wasn't a case of inevitable/irreversible hydroplaning.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:36   #29306
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Wonder what the physics behind that is. Is it because in lower gears, the powered wheels are more tightly wound and are that much more connected to the engine?

And yes, I can finally think to myself with a bit more confidence that the Swift in the video could've opted to overtake in a lower gear and it may not have spun out, assuming it wasn't a case of inevitable/irreversible hydroplaning.
Think I read a quote in some thread a year or two ago that explains it quite simply. You can take any curve as long as the power is greater than momentum. Lower gear provides more power most of the time.
sephiroth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 11:24   #29307
BHPian

Quote:
The fact that the new Swift is feather-light didnt help things either. Of course its a "kitna-deti-hai" Vehicle. Kuch de ya na de, drama badhiya deti hai .

From my observation, I've seen a lot of cars flying around in umpteen videos but when it comes to it nobody can quite do it like the Swift/Desire fellows. They really nail it. Full drama.
I seriously hate stereotyping people but have to make an exception for Swift drivers on highways. The rate of Swift drivers who drive crazily i.e. zig zag overtakes, overtaking on shoulders and non existent spaces, overtaking an already overtaking vehicle, unmentionable speeds for a small car, tailgating etc. is definitely higher than other cars, may be it's the small size and a decent power which enables this deadly combo.

In TN highways, whenever I see a Swift (especially ones with KL plates), I make sure to give way and get away from them as much as possible but even if I couldn't due to traffic conditions, they will find a way.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 12:45   #29308
BHPian

Quote:
However, I had a different concept in mind - and please don't laugh at this - while playing some assorted racing video games (ones for which the developers won awards for realism), I noticed that being in a lower gear affords more traction to the powered wheels. So let's say I'm ripping it across a curve in snow or rain (slippery surfaces), if I were in a higher gear I would spin out. But if I were in a lower gear, the car would stick to the road superbly.
Ah, a fellow gamer

I'll share what I know, this is a classic example of lift-off oversteer. The dude in the swift swerved over two lanes and as he finished the overtake he probably let off the throttle in the middle of swerving back to the left lane, the resulting sudden weight shift from the rear to the front of the car took away most of the rear tyres' grip on an already soaking wet road causing the back end to kick out and him to go flying off the road.

This is why you should never coast through a corner, either have you're foot on the A or the B to avoid unbalancing the car. Which is exactly why its easier to take a corner in a lower gear as the extra engine breaking means you're constantly decelerating keeping the weight pinned at the front giving better traction to the front tyres aiding cornering.
SH1N1G4MI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 14:31   #29309
bkc
BHPian

A friend of mine sent this, happened to someone on Bangalore-Shirdi road. He claims that at-least three are dead.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190815wa0018.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th August 2019 at 07:24. Reason: Blanking out gory bit
bkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 21:03   #29310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
A friend of mine sent this, happened to someone on Bangalore-Shirdi road. He claims that at-least three are dead.
Looks like not wearing the seatbelts is the primary reason for death. Passengers seem to have been ejected during roll over and then suffered fatal injuries upon contact with tarmac.

It is not clear whether the ecosport jumped off the road on farther side which appears to be atleast 4-5 ft taller than the nearside road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks