Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 22:42   #29341
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A Hyundai Creta climbed over the divider during heavy rain near HAL gate on the old airport road. Had caused a huge traffic jam on the opposite side since there was only one usable lane left. I pity the owner. The visibility is quite poor when it rains and this divider had a gap for a while before this spot after which its start point is not marked. It will be a tough task to remove the car without causing further damage to it. As it is there looks to be minimal damage to the panels. Only the underbody and front suspension seems to have taken the brunt.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:15   #29342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Had caused a huge traffic jam on the opposite side since there was only one usable lane left.
It took me ~1 hour to cover the distance between Cloud9 Hospital and Vimanapura post office yesterday, due to this.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:55   #29343
Distinguished - BHPian

• Top causes 1) Not wearing seatbelts 2) Fatigue 3) Overspeeding
  • Seatbelts not used in 66% accidents, Drive fatigue and overspeeding in 38% and 35% respectively
  • Human errors : Overtaking from left, improper lane change, parking vehicles by the roadside, driving too slow, dangerous pedestrian behaviour (Talk about a fully barricaded expressway and pedestrians)
  • Every 3rd crash, due to overspeeding
  • Other reasons : Lack of seatbelts, defective brakes, man-made roadside structures, inadequate warnings about accidents (and parked vehicles), narrow shoulders, sharp curvature, gaps in the medians

Last edited by ajmat : 21st August 2019 at 10:41. Reason: typo
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 10:05   #29344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Top causes 1) Not wearing seatbelts 2) Fatique 3) Overspeeding
  • Seatbelts not used in 66% accidents, Drive fatigue and overspeeding in 38% and 35% respectively
  • Human errors : Overtaking from left, improper lane change, parking vehicles by the roadside, driving too slow, dangerous pedestrian behaviour (Talk about a fully barricaded expressway and pedestrians)
  • Every 3rd crash, due to overspeeding
  • Other reasons : Lack of seatbelts, defective brakes, man-made roadside structures, inadequate warnings about accidents (and parked vehicles), narrow shoulders, sharp curvature, gaps in the medians

Tyre blowouts were mentioned as the main culprit in many e-way accidents over the last many years. Cant find them mentioned anywhere in this report - or were tyre blowouts used as a convenient excuse to mask high-speed misadventures on the road?

I don't have data to support, but my belief is that the frequency of e-way accidents havent really gone up, though the traffic has increased over the years. When I do the occasional trips down the e-way, I tend to see a larger number of sane drivers on the road than say some 6-7 years ago. Perhaps its just a perception of mine.

I hope they have also analysed where the accidents tend to happen. The pattern of accidents in straight stretches (on both sides of the ghat) , where people try to race to make up for time lost in the ghats, and on the ghat section itself where there is this ongoing battle for lane space between trucks and cars, will be completely different I guess.
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 10:59   #29345
Senior - BHPian

Received at OCG ( Off roading Club of Gujarat) WhatsApp group. Looks like a state transport bus made a blunder during the reverse maneuver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpeg
SJM1214 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 14:21   #29346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Received at OCG ( Off roading Club of Gujarat) WhatsApp group. Looks like a state transport bus made a blunder during the reverse maneuver.
I don't think it was an accident. It was part of a landslide that happened in Shimla few days ago. It was in the papers.(19/8)
http://www.deccanheraldepaper.com/
Attached Images

tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:07   #29347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Narrow roads, tight turns, possibly over speeding.
Who is at fault?

Looks like the car driver got little distracted, it definitely took that turn a bit sharply. Haven't the bus driver turned that sharply, it would have hit the car. The bus is definitely over speeding, though.

At first, I thought the bus driver was at fault but having watched the clip a few times over, I can't put the whole blame on him.

Your thoughts?
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:37   #29348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Human error is the cause of nearly all road accidents, anywhere, surely?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Spacing and formatting quoted post
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:48   #29349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Human error is the cause of nearly all road accidents, anywhere, surely?
Along with errors in calculating the curvature, gradient & banking of that road that refers to the infrastructural design which also is a result of human errors .

I am amused that the report doesn't mention one of the most popular myths and strongest visual prima facie evidence based on which everyone concludes that the accident was due to a burst tire!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:51   #29350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Top causes 1) Not wearing seatbelts 2) Fatigue 3) Overspeeding
While I can understand that not wearing seatbelts can cause more injuries and death in the event of an accident, I can't understand how not wearing seatbelts can actually be the cause of an accident.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 20:00   #29351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
While I can understand that not wearing seatbelts can cause more injuries and death in the event of an accident, I can't understand how not wearing seatbelts can actually be the cause of an accident.
May be what they really wanted to say was that not having and not wearing seat belts resulted in fatalities while otherwise there were chances of survival.
Old 21st August 2019, 20:19   #29352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be what they really wanted to say was that not having and not wearing seat belts resulted in fatalities while otherwise there were chances of survival.
Yes, this statement is not reflective of what is stated in the article
Quote:
Top causes 1) Not wearing seatbelts 2) Fatique 3) Overspeeding
The article merely states that in 66% of accidents seat belts were not worn.

It mentions clearly the fatigue and overspending caused accidents.

The reason I want to highlight this is that:

1. Generally, wearing seat belts may not prevent accidents.

2. The 66% observation should be coupled with the general % of people wearing seatbelts.

3. I am sure they will have the fatalities in accidents when seat-belts were worn vs not worn - this would have driven the point home if it was published.

Whatever be the statistics be 66% is a high rate of seat belt not used - infact there is another thread stating 95% of rear passengers did not wear them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2019 at 21:19. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 21st August 2019, 20:24   #29353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I don't think it was an accident. It was part of a landslide that happened in Shimla few days ago. It was in the papers.(19/8)
http://www.deccanheraldepaper.com/
Goes to show how trustworthy (not) are the posts on social media!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:38   #29354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Who is at fault?

Looks like the car driver got little distracted, it definitely took that turn a bit sharply. Haven't the bus driver turned that sharply, it would have hit the car. The bus is definitely over speeding, though.

At first, I thought the bus driver was at fault but having watched the clip a few times over, I can't put the whole blame on him.

Your thoughts?
Well you analyzed it pretty well. My thoughts - as I have put in the original post, narrow roads, tight turns, over speeding and to add to that possible inexperience from the car driver caused the incident.
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:58   #29355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
.. looks to be minimal damage to the panels. Only the underbody and front suspension seems to have taken the brunt.
Appearances can be deceptive. Running over a divider can be catastrophic, highly likely that the damage is severe to the underbody, suspension, oil sump and exhaust at a minimum.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks