Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:28   #29356
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A couple of dashcam clips from my recent drives - none of them are footage of actual acidents, but immediate aftermath
1. City driving - It looks like the biker bumped into the rear end of the car. They have pulled over to the side and about to have a 'chat'. People brush this off as a minor incident. But road rage or a fall to the hard tarmac without a helmet even with such 'minor incidents' can be quite catastrophic.

2. This was on the way to mahabalipuram via Chengelpet and the Chennai-Theni Highway. Saw this car 'dumped' on the right side, next to the median - it looks to have been badly rear-ended. My observation was this poses a danger especially if speeds are higher and it is dark. I wonder how long they took to clear the car.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20190822-7.20.27-am.png
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:11   #29357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There seems to be a minor twist in this case as the driver who surrendered was the younger brother.
https://www.ndtv.com/kolkata-news/in...home-topscroll
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:21   #29358
BHPian

Miraculous escape for a 7 year old when a reversing car knocked him down. This happened in Surat.

Last edited by Hickstead : 23rd August 2019 at 12:23.
Hickstead is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:35   #29359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Miraculous escape for a 7 year old when a reversing car knocked him down. This happened in Surat.
Personally, incidents like these are the only need where I feel the necessity of a reverse Camera in my car despite of proactively checking the surroundings before reversing but anyone like this kid can come and sit there soon after I get into the car and it will never be visible to me. Heck, even a biker or a scooter fellow will park and walk away before I can notice.

That kid was extremely lucky!!
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:50   #29360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Personally, incidents like these are the only need where I feel the necessity of a reverse Camera in my car despite of proactively checking the surroundings before reversing but anyone like this kid can come and sit there soon after I get into the car and it will never be visible to me. Heck, even a biker or a scooter fellow will park and walk away before I can notice.
I face far more problems towards the front of my TUV 300 with its high bonnet. I once hit a parked Yamaha RX100 which had an acute-angled side stand fitted on it. I had rolled to a stop at a village and was figuring out the route ahead on my dad's phone when I hadn't spotted the last few yards in front of my TUV 300. Given its high bonnet, I had no idea that I had stopped just in front of this leaning Yamaha...and the rest is automotive accident history.

What's more, I once briefly lost sight of some little kids who were crossing over after dropping off my kid at her school. I had started rolling my TUV when it struck me - had those kids crossed over or not? I had no idea and it would've been too late had there been a kid or two in my path.

The XUV 300's front sensors are more appropriate for the TUV 300; I assume that a front camera isn't feasible unlike rear reversing cameras.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:14   #29361
Senior - BHPian

I think what we need is the 5+2 set camera that most new private buses these days have.

1 Front Dash cam.

2 front down view cam (dont know its name)

3 & 4 Wing rear view mirror cams which face backwards.

5 Rear view cam placed at the top.

6&7 internal cctv

Screen can toggle to any of the first 5 cams, or be set divided to any 4 cams, it also has 512 GB internal memory, and one sim slot for data only sim to continuously relay to owners office.

Set is available in both 24V and 12V.

Selecting reverse sets screen to screen divided into 4 with both wing cameras to show rear view on both sides, direct high mount rear view, and front downward focused camera which shows things immediately in front of bus including both corners of front bumper.

Reversing into a narrow gap with a inch to spare both sides will be possible.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th August 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:21   #29362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There seems to be a minor twist in this case as the driver who surrendered was the younger brother.
I suspect that the elder brother, who evaded the arrest initially, was drunk. And by the time police realized that they have the wrong guy, all the evidence of alcohol in the blood of the elder guy vanished. So, now he can only be booked under much lenient law.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 09:27   #29363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
6&7 internal cctv
Not happy about this one - it infringes the privacy of the passengers.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 09:37   #29364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Not happy about this one - it infringes the privacy of the passengers.
Agreed.

School buses use it as CCTV as is mandatory.

In private intercity buses, one is watching over the driver, and one fitted like dash cam in extreme LH top, so that driver can use the screen to look ahead of the truck in front of him. Very help full for changing to LH lane on 4 lane sections when slower vehicle is hogging the middle lane.

Most drivers drive with the screen set to that cam.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th August 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Spacing
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 09:46   #29365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Says a lot about the ground clearance of the Ford Aspire

Jokes apart, very lucky kid there. This incident could have been avoided even if the car had reverse sensors. It's a good thing that those have been mandated by the government now.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 10:12   #29366
BHPian

7 year old kid died in accident when the car he was travelling collided with a truck. The cause of death was the seat belt damaged internal organs on the impact. Both the parents survived the crash.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-alappuzhacaraccident.jpg

Source
Old 24th August 2019, 10:28   #29367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
7 year old kid died in accident when the car he was travelling collided with a truck. The cause of death was the seat belt damaged internal organs on the impact. Both the parents survived the crash.

Attachment 1908746

Source
A 7 year old kid shouldn't have been put directly on the seat. A forward facing child seat or atleast a booster seat should have been used to position the child correctly on the seat and then seat belt should have been used.

I have seen many kids - even as young as 3-4 years of age put on seats with seat belts with good intentions by parents.

All those are accidents waiting to happen - even in the case of a simple hard braking.

What we need is more awareness on correct use of safety equipment along with enforcement of safety devices.
Ramon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 11:58   #29368
Senior - BHPian

The headline in the regional paper screams that the seat belt killed the kid! Sigh, instead of making people aware of child seats, this will lead to lesser safety measures. [i hope not though]

Why are we beyond caring?
deathwalkr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 12:43   #29369
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Agree on parents putting young kids in front seats with seatbelts. When I ask/advise them about child seats, the response I get is - s/he becomes restless in the car seat and would not stop crying. I keep asking young parents on why do they endure a routine that literally teaches young children that crying =>> getting your way, they blame it on their grand parents and relatives.

Unfortunately this is a habit that is not going to change on its own; unless the law becomes more tough on it (like in the developed world). I doubt if the new MTV rules has anything that focusses on child seats.

Btw that wasn't a minor accident; looking at the state of the car. I'm sure high speeds and lack of complete attention was in the fray, so I don't think it is right to pin everything on the seat belts alone.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 13:05   #29370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
The cause of death was the seat belt damaged internal organs on the impact. Both the parents survived the crash.
Let me be the heartless fellow here, I blatantly deny this set of words - it's typical local press spreading their stuff, without even knowing what they are talking about.

Was the child in the middle row? If yes, I am unsure if he was actually belted or not
If the child was in front seat, he was on the lap of someone - that means the child was either behind the belt or between the belt and the airbag - with an elder body pushing him towards the rushing airbag

What is written is completely BS IMO, just try to imagine and keep thinking in every manner - how exactly can this happen that a seatbelt can cause such injuries to a light weight body, which doesn't carry probably 1/4th momentum of an adult?
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed