Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 13:39   #29386
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This incident happened to me yesterday while I was going out with family. This time saver jumped signal to save few minutes and bumped in directly. I don't know when will they learn and value their own life and other too.

There was one more guy who believe in the theory of "Bigger car is always at mistake" and asked me to come to Police Station, I told him that I've video proof and he walked away. Luckily, I was able to handle the whole situation as I had video proof of the rider's fault.

Last edited by atulsian : 26th August 2019 at 13:41.
atulsian is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:32   #29387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
This time saver jumped signal to save few minutes and bumped in directly. I don't know when will they learn and value their own life and other too.
Similar accident happened with me a couple of years ago. Typical case of "The other vehicle will give way". These two-wheeler riders are always in a hurry.

You were in an overtaking maneuver with vehicle on both sides otherwise could have spotted him earlier. Or if the speed was low, then stopped before hitting. Anyways, lucky that you were not rear ended by someone tailgating you.
nishp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:07   #29388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishp View Post
Similar accident happened with me a couple of years ago. Typical case of "The other vehicle will give way". These two-wheeler riders are always in a hurry.

You were in an overtaking maneuver with vehicle on both sides otherwise could have spotted him earlier. Or if the speed was low, then stopped before hitting. Anyways, lucky that you were not rear ended by someone tailgating you.
Yeah. I felt bad for him as his nose was bleeding and he was unconscious for a moment.

Loss on my side; Bumper and number plate took the hit, as his scooter went under the car. They had to pull his scooter out.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th September 2019 at 08:05. Reason: Typo
Old 26th August 2019, 16:36   #29389
BHPian

I had a lucky save yesterday. A few feet forward, I would have been hit too.
jeganatu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:19   #29390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Yeah. I felt bad for him as his nose was bleeding and he was unconscious for a moment.
Don't feel bad for these morons. You are 100% in the right and this idiot deserves a lot worse than a nosebleed.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 18:43   #29391
Senior - BHPian

In a city bus with standing passengers etc that is much more common. Far less so on these overnight tourist buses where passengers are all sleeping in a seated position and clothing can easily slip aside and reveal parts that the sleeper would rather conceal.

If the driver and conductor get interior cctv view of sleeping passengers or quite often, young couples blissfully unaware of their surroundings, they'll turn into voyeurs and this seriously compromises personal privacy, there's a risk that videos will turn up online. This has already happened with security camera footage from Delhi metro trains.

Plus, if a driver is being a voyeur what is the probability that he'll be able to keep his eyes on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
A friend of mine who runs a private bus service, says that cops are strongly recommending CCTV with inside view footage as there are too many incidents ( genuine as well as fake) of groping/sexual harassment in a bus.

In many cases, the conductor is penalized and the bus owner has to cough up money to settle the issue, even if the conductor is innocent. Having a footage will exonerate the crew in fake cases and also will give conclusive proof if they are guilty.

There is a thin line here - a bus is considered as a public place. For the safety of the passengers, as well as the crew, it might be a necessary thing. This is akin to having CCTV cameras in malls, shops, roads, etc.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 20:13   #29392
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
In a city bus with standing passengers etc that is much more common. Far less so on these overnight tourist buses where passengers are all sleeping in a seated position and clothing can easily slip aside and reveal parts that the sleeper would rather conceal.

If the driver and conductor get interior cctv view of sleeping passengers or quite often, young couples blissfully unaware of their surroundings, they'll turn into voyeurs and this seriously compromises personal privacy, there's a risk that videos will turn up online. This has already happened with security camera footage from Delhi metro trains.
the merits far outweigh such excuses for not placing a CCTV on the inside of a bus. Public places' CCTV's always have huge big warnings written next to them, that CCTV surveillance is present. The bus is a public place, not a hotel room. Nobody questions invasion of privacy w.r.t hidden CCTV present inside an airplane, what's the big deal about an un-hidden CCTV in a bus ?
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 21:32   #29393
Senior - BHPian

On my trip from Chennai (Mahabs) to Vellore on the Chennai-Bangalore highway, I crossed this major accident site after Sriperambudur (8th August, 2019).
It appears that the truck was crossing the road to enter the highway and a car had crashed into the truck's side. You can see the truck stopped without completing the turn. The dash-cam could not capture the car smashed into the truck on the other side. I couldn't find out what happened and details of injuries as the traffic jam was quite huge and the ambulance etc had left.
Does anyone have details of this crash?

(PS: Fast forward to 1:55 to see the accident site)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20190826-9.23.34-pm.jpg

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 26th August 2019 at 21:43.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 07:24   #29394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the merits far outweigh such excuses for not placing a CCTV on the inside of a bus. Public places' CCTV's always have huge big warnings written next to them, that CCTV surveillance is present. The bus is a public place, not a hotel room. Nobody questions invasion of privacy w.r.t hidden CCTV present inside an airplane, what's the big deal about an un-hidden CCTV in a bus ?
Fair enough. Though airlines are run much more professionally and regulated far more strictly than a private or government bus service.
Old 27th August 2019, 08:47   #29395
Senior - BHPian

CCTV cameras inside all public transport vehicles will be a good idea, but there are too many of them. Each bus may require at least two, and a suburban train coach will need four. All suburban stations and bus stands should be covered by CCTV first, but only a few have them.

But one thing is for sure. A lot of honesty in public places prevails in India because of CCTV cameras!
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:43   #29396
Senior - BHPian

Today morning at Cochin. No idea about casualties.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1566886340183.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1566886350858.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1566886361522.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1566886382867.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:06   #29397
BHPian

Beats me on how this railing could have gone right through the car and emerged a considerable length outside. Further, it seems to have entered the front left and emerged out of the rear right. While the driver and co-driver may have escaped from being "punctured ", the rear passengers may not have been lucky, if they were there. It appears to be that the car had carried a lot of momentum for such a crash.
Old 27th August 2019, 12:57   #29398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Beats me on how this railing could have gone right through the car and emerged a considerable length outside. Further, it seems to have entered the front left and emerged out of the rear right. While the driver and co-driver may have escaped from being "punctured ", the rear passengers may not have been lucky, if they were there. It appears to be that the car had carried a lot of momentum for such a crash.
Truly a freak accident.
Driver and passenger were lucky escaping the beam. And I guess there wasn't anyone in the back as the beam protuding from car backside has no blood or any signs of being in contact with a human body. Judging by the road direction it seems an overtaking gone wrong or driver simply dozed off.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 13:05   #29399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Beats me on how this railing could have gone right through the car and emerged a considerable length outside.
Accidents involving railings that pierce through the car are not uncommon. With momentum, if the railing is able to find the right path to enter your car's interiors, it will in any case and you would be extremely lucky when it passes through the co-passenger seat with no occupant there like this one I had captured 2 years before on NICE Road in Bangalore. Xylo is a much stronger car and so is this type of railing but just look at the damage!

It has probably crushed that engine (may be) and ripped into the cabin with ease.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xylo.jpg

More pics on this post.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th August 2019 at 13:07.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 13:11   #29400
BHPian

I agree, the location of impact and resistance within the vehicle play a part. However, there is a difference between a guard rail and the blunt rail. In any case, such objects can cause tremendous damage depending on where the impact is.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed