Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:36   #29431
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurg...w/70942754.cms

A speeding Discovery Sport ran over two gol gappa wala brothers at Golf Course Extension road. The accused manage to flee after removing the number plate from the car.

The passenger airbag seems to have been deployed in this accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-952050d4694c46fa919037f820764b75.jpeg  

Last edited by aparth : 2nd September 2019 at 13:37.
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:40   #29432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
... where a pregnant lady was a pillion rider. There was a bike-bus accident with the rider and pillion rider falling off the bike. Thankfully, although there were injuries, both survived as per the news report in Tamil.
The cctv capture shows the last moment only and it's difficult to say why they were so close to each other. Was the bus trying to overtake or did the bike drift towards the other lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
There was no OTHER LANE
Its just one, wide lane of a road.
As ever, the bike is oblivious to the danger of being within elbow space of another vehicle, especially a large one.

Recently, this forum taught me the word squid. It's Not just the youngsters
Old 2nd September 2019, 16:16   #29433
BHPian

Couple of months back there was some liquid spill on DND flyway at delhi. It caused a chain of two wheelers slipping one after another. A scooty slipped while braking which was captured by my cam. Pillion rider was bleeding heavily from forehead. No helmet!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2019 at 18:46. Reason: breaking > braking
nishp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:28   #29434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurg...w/70942754.cms

A speeding Discovery Sport ran over two gol gappa wala brothers at Golf Course Extension road. The accused manage to flee after removing the number plate from the car.

The passenger airbag seems to have been deployed in this accident.
Took out his number plate? I don't see why the police couldn't just read the VIN and identify the owner.
raystriker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:37   #29435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Is it not just as easy to get the owners details from the VIN number?
I hope the people involved are brought to justice and if there was a passenger I hope that he/she also has to answer for their actions and not just the driver.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:51   #29436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I hope the people involved are brought to justice and if there was a passenger I hope that he/she also has to answer for their actions and not just the driver.
Maybe not for the layman, but I find it hard to believe there aren't systems in place for the police to instantly identify vehicles, ownership and relevant details from the VIN.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:59   #29437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Maybe not for the layman, but I find it hard to believe there aren't systems in place for the police to instantly identify vehicles, ownership and relevant details from the VIN.
some more possibilities

1. The car owner is not aware of concept of VIN number.
2. Or if he is aware, then he might have thought to remove plates to avoid immediate tracking of owner from number.
3. Or Car is not registered at all. He might be using some other number plate from his garage.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 2nd September 2019 at 19:01.
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:08   #29438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
As per the comments, the Santro faced absolutely no damages.
The Santro Xing variant was especially built grounds up to qualify for the stringent Euro norms for structural integrity, it is built much stronger than its predecessor Santro original and zip variants.
Its a very familiar car having one in the family in the past for 13+ years. Pretty tough built car.
In this case, although there are no apparent deformation/ dislodging of the front bumper, it would have flexed inwards on impact causing the front metal member (ahead of the radiator) to take the impact and highly likely it would be bent. So there would be repairs involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I thought the rear was always built tougher than the front; seen this in pre-2011 cars.

Looks like newer cars are demonstrating the effectiveness of crumple zones.
The rear of hatches are particularly more rigid, crucial for safety in the absence of rear crumple zone like in a sedan.

All car bumpers need to be built to withstand low impact (<10kmph) hits in bumper to bumper traffic. Crumple zones can take over at higher than crawling speeds. It is in fact a regulatory norm in some countries to provide impact resistant bumpers at crawling speeds.

Disintegrating on a mere touch at low speeds and calling it as crumple zones at work is not acceptable. It is pure flimsy build at work as a result of cost cutting.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd September 2019 at 19:10.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:54   #29439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Easy - call up the dealer, they can call up the details straight away. Besides, the RTO also have the VIN number on record
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:58   #29440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Disintegrating on a mere touch at low speeds and calling it as crumple zones at work is not acceptable. It is pure flimsy build at work as a result of cost cutting.
I think when someone says ‘crumple zones at work’ on this forum then that person is being sarcastic or is mocking the poor build quality.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:58   #29441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Easy - call up the dealer, they can call up the details straight away.
(Off-topic)

I'm not too sure of privacy laws, but unless it's a vin of your own car, won't that be misusing the system?
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:02   #29442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(Off-topic)

I'm not too sure of privacy laws, but unless it's a vin of your own car, won't that be misusing the system?
Not if this is a criminal case and a warrant has been issued.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:17   #29443
BHPian

Quote:
Took out his number plate? I don't see why the police couldn't just read the VIN and identify the owner.
One of the reasons to do so can be to avoid a medical test. In all probability, driver could be under the influence of alcohol and hence by removing the number plate, he/she could delay a medical test. Car owner/driver is traceable quickly by a registration number as compared to a chassis # or VIN.

And when Police comes knocking at his/her door, he/she claim things such as vehicle was stolen just few hours ago, employee driver was driving the car and so on. Also after 24 hours or so, a medical test will reveal nothing about alcohol or drug use. Bad but such things have been reported in past.
Motor_Nut is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:38   #29444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If the culprit was drunk then immediate arrest would aggravate the charges. If he/she remove the number plate then it will buy them some time. And they can also make a poor person to surrender on their behalf. All part of a group who exploits loop holes in judiciary.
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:57   #29445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There was an accident in Tiruppur, Tamilnadu recently where a pregnant lady was a pillion rider. There was a bike-bus accident with the rider and pillion rider falling off the bike. Thankfully, although there were injuries, both survived as per the news report in Tamil.
The cctv capture shows the last moment only and it's difficult to say why they were so close to each other. Was the bus trying to overtake or did the bike drift towards the other lane.

https://m.behindwoods.com/ta/amp/new...-released.html
Can anyone see from the video if the rider and pillion rider were wearing helmets. Due to the low res video, I am unable to make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
There was no OTHER LANE
Its just one, wide lane of a road.
It is a 3 lane road. If you check ahead you can see lane markings. (Unless you meant this sarcastically! Indian riders/drivers think those lines are merely decorative paintings!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lanes.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd September 2019 at 12:37. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed