Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:45   #29446
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_Nut View Post
One of the reasons to do so can be to avoid a medical test. In all probability, driver could be under the influence of alcohol and hence by removing the number plate, he/she could delay a medical test. Car owner/driver is traceable quickly by a registration number as compared to a chassis # or VIN.

And when Police comes knocking at his/her door, he/she claim things such as vehicle was stolen just few hours ago, employee driver was driving the car and so on. Also after 24 hours or so, a medical test will reveal nothing about alcohol or drug use. Bad but such things have been reported in past.
This is exactly the reason. They probably wanted to make it a bit harder to trace the owner or the driver until the alcohol wears off the system. Presto, now it’s an accident or unsafe driving case and not a drunken driving case which carries stricter penalties.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:08   #29447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Came accross these on Facebook.
As per the comments, the Santro faced absolutely no damages.
I wonder how the Santro can make such a dent on the Ciaz, the dent looks like some sharper object was in front of the vehicle that hit that car. It could be that someone clicked this picture just for the purpose of ridiculing Maruti's poor build - crumpling on mere touch and calling it crumple zones at work!
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:37   #29448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I wonder how the Santro can make such a dent on the Ciaz, the dent looks like some sharper object was in front of the vehicle that hit that car. It could be that someone clicked this picture just for the purpose of ridiculing Maruti's poor build - crumpling on mere touch and calling it crumple zones at work!

I don't know about ciaz, but recently I saw a live example. One fellow just started his TVS-50 XL super, which was behind a Baleno. I think he turned the accelerator a bit and the moped tire banged against the bumper of the Baleno. The rear bumper was dented in a big way!! the distance the moped moved would hardly been 5-10 meters and... so it can't have got that much momentum also.
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:52   #29449
Senior - BHPian

Four persons were killed when a car in which they were travelling in plunged into a pond

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/state/k...eAdmUUSKsJ_8EI
Old 4th September 2019, 11:55   #29450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Four persons were killed when a car in which they were travelling in plunged into a pond

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/state/k...eAdmUUSKsJ_8EI
According to Kannada news channels, the car fell into a roadside artificial pond created by a farmer for rainwater harvesting. The news channel also reported that this is not the first time vehicles have fallen into that pond.

I just hope the concerned authorities close this pond once for all.
Old 4th September 2019, 14:09   #29451
Distinguished - BHPian

Car is driven into pond. Blame pond?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 14:38   #29452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
According to Kannada news channels, the car fell into a roadside artificial pond created by a farmer for rainwater harvesting.

I just hope the concerned authorities close this pond once for all.
Why not create some kind of barrier along the road. Or may be some warning sign. Provided the farmer has used his own land for pond.
nishp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:22   #29453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It has to be "blame the land owner" on whose land this pond is present. Local news paper quoted saying police had filed FIR against the land owner under IPC 304(A) and 336.
Old 4th September 2019, 16:32   #29454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
It has to be "blame the land owner" on whose land this pond is present. Local news paper quoted saying police had filed FIR against the land owner under IPC 304(A) and 336.
Er, his land his choice? Unless the pond has encroached onto the road?

I guess the dude should have installed barricades? But are private individuals allowed to install barricades on govt/public land?
Old 4th September 2019, 17:36   #29455
Senior - BHPian

Whether the pond or the road or the driver to be blamed, there seems to be not enough space between the road and the pond, even for a pedestrian.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pond.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 22:51   #29456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Whether the pond or the road or the driver to be blamed, there seems to be not enough space between the road and the pond, even for a pedestrian.
Well, ok, I hadn't imagined it being that close to the road --- but the fact remains that, whatever he drove into, the driver drove off the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 23:32   #29457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like blame the person who dug the pond.

Did he have permission to do it? Was that patch meant to be dug up so close to the road?
Old 5th September 2019, 02:42   #29458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Looks like blame the person who dug the pond. ... ... ...
So, it was a pond. It might have been a tree or a pole. Or a mountain valley.

There was someone with their hands on a car steering wheel. They drove off the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 06:47   #29459
Senior - BHPian

I was crossing Chennasamudram toll gate on Monday and saw this car sitting atop the lane divider in the toll booth. I'm sure the underbody damage is high. The indicators were still on - so it may have just happened. I'm not sure of how it happened or what injuries the occupants had.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_201909050644442.png

Quote:
Well, ok, I hadn't imagined it being that close to the road --- but the fact remains that, whatever he drove into, the driver drove off the road.
Aren't we supposed to drive on the road and keep within its boundaries. If the pond encroached onto the road or the owner removes a barricade or safety lines drawn, I understand he is at fault. If the pond was not there the driver would have crashed onto the trees and then news articles would have blamed whoever planted those trees I guess.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 07:46   #29460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, it was a pond. It might have been a tree or a pole. Or a mountain valley.

There was someone with their hands on a car steering wheel. They drove off the road.
The way you expect the drivers to be perfect all the time, we might as well have all roads chiselled on both sides with 100 foot gorges, with no shoulder and, obviously, no room for error.

The drivers too are human. When designing roads, allowances must be made for human errors. This is something that's followed (or should be followed) while designing all things meant to be used by humans.

Let's just say in the design of the road, if there was no allowance for a pond to exist at that location, and if that pond subsequently came to be at that location, and if that pond came to exist because of human effort, then the human expending that effort has interfered with the design of the road and should face consequences of the same.

I think if we are expecting the drivers to be 100% perfect, we should also expect everyone else to be perfect too. Follow all the laws of the land, everyone.
honeybee is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed