Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 10:30   #29476
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
but I guess brute forcing (cameras, 24X7 monitoring etc.) is the only solution when people know something is wrong and still do it!
In Bengaluru, public can submit complaint using public eye, twitter and even email. Once people realize that anybody can take a picture/video and submit to police, things will improve. We also need to do our bit, traffic police can't be there everywhere.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:32   #29477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
We don't know if the owner of the pond encroached upon the shoulder of the road. And that needs to be investigated.
I would agree. NHAI usually owns a strip of land on which there us a road, and that strip of land usually extends a bit beyond the shoulder of the road. It is the same with the Railways.

Quote:
Why not just stop complaining about everything but the driver then? Bridges without railings, trees or poles in the middle of the roads, sharp bends without banking or signages, blind turns et all?

Just blame the driver in all cases. Simple
What we are getting worked up about is the "always blame everyone else" mentality. The idea that you are primarily responsible for your own continued existence appears to be getting wiped out in the most evolved species on this planet.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:33   #29478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why not just stop complaining about everything but the driver then? Bridges without railings, trees or poles in the middle of the roads, sharp bends without banking or signages, blind turns et all?

Just blame the driver in all cases. Simple
What you mean to say, essentially, is that a pothole on the road killing a rider falling off is the same level of driver-error as that of one driving off the road, where he should be driving, into a pond that is not on the road, unlike a pothole?

The latter case is one where only the driver is to be blamed. The former is one where I will blame the authorities, as indeed Silverwood has done legally.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th September 2019 at 11:22. Reason: Minor spacing for improvement in readability
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:16   #29479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Just blame the driver in all cases. Simple
It's the best starting point.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:01   #29480
BHPian

Adding to the whole Car Vs Pond discussion:

The land owner is required to leave some distance and then probably dig that pond. Now depending upon the location, that distance probably is a mere 4 feet. If that was done, even then there is a good chance the car would be in the pond and in a similar situation. But the odds of avoiding said pond is immensely higher.

Many cars have fallen into that pond before and yet nothing has been done about it. In that case the authorities should have a railing near that area or should have taken action against the owner and probably convinced him to fill some parts of that pond.

Now, on a completely different note, if it was a chai shop instead of a pond, with six people having their "cup of tea" and the car entered that shop killing everyone, blame goes to the driver or the shop?

The driver. Why? Because the driver can see the shop while driving.

The pond is a complete different story. If this was a truck, SUV or even this same car knocked off a pedestrian and then went into the pond, and the driver survived, the blame would be completely on him.

It would also be a "speeding" vehicle that lost control in the news article.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 6th September 2019 at 16:05.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:18   #29481
Distinguished - BHPian

The pond probably should not be there. It looks like a potential danger to all.

Still, the principle of driver responsibility applies.
Old 6th September 2019, 17:40   #29482
Senior - BHPian

Now that we have agreed that it must be at least investigated whether the pond was supposed to be there or not, I shall leave this debate.

The whole point for me is there needs to be an investigation into the contributing factors as well, instead of simply blaming the driver.

Yes, the driver is to blame too - at least prima facie, and the police will invariably register an FIR naming the driver (even if dead). However the story shouldn't end here.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:28   #29483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that we have agreed that it must be at least investigated whether the pond was supposed to be there or not, I shall leave this debate.
Whether the pond should be there or not is a separate issue. There are lots of laws and lots of ways of breaking them.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:56   #29484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Received these on WhatsApp. Happened on NH66 in Udupi (Karavali bypass) at the north end of a flyover.
its so scary....the damage is so high that it looks like the car only had "half side" - driver's side. Its simply cut, where is the other part ? Not seen in the snaps though.
Old 7th September 2019, 17:48   #29485
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
its so scary....the damage is so high that it looks like the car only had "half side" - driver's side. Its simply cut, where is the other part ? Not seen in the snaps though.
This car had zero star in safety rating. if it is better build car, at least the electric pole would have bent. All pieces of the car are still in place, only thing is they are all crumbled beyond expectation.
Old 7th September 2019, 22:09   #29486
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, that is scary, and zero stars certainly doesn't help. But we return to this conversation whenever something like this happens. In car v pole, the car never wins.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 23:07   #29487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In car v pole, the car never wins.

Absolutely. I used to extend this a bit further when I was teaching my nephew on driving safe - Car/Bike vs ANY fixed non-moving objects (Tree, bridge, pole, wall, er.. even pond) 99% case car will come out loser.

On a similar note, Human VS car/bike, etc 99.99% case, humans will lose out.

If one always remembers this, it will definitely improve his/her chances of staying safe while driving/riding

Last edited by haria : 7th September 2019 at 23:09.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 06:39   #29488
Senior - BHPian

While highway and high speed accidents seem to dominate this accident thread, what surprises me is the amount of (fatal) accidents in congested roads. Mostly it is the pedestrians or 2-wheelers who are seriously injured or die.
This is a sadly fatal accident. The road is congested due to haphazard parking (especially the truck and the car parked on the side). As per reports the student two-wheeler lost control and was crushed by another truck which was not supposed to have been in the city.
The truck and the haphazard parker make a speedy exit. I'm not sure if there was rainfall and water on the road that contributed.

Viewer discretion is advised.
Old 8th September 2019, 07:26   #29489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Received these on WhatsApp. Happened on NH66 in Udupi (Karavali bypass) at the north end of a flyover.
Video of the aftermath of this accident. The driver, a temple priest, survived luckily with minor injuries.

samaspire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 08:05   #29490
Distinguished - BHPian

Please don't ascribe any prejudice! I am attached to the Carnatic music scene and most of my friends are Brahmins (although more likely to be IIT than Pujurai)... But I see some dreadful driving from pujaris. Used to be on bikes: one of my friends tells that the business has become more lucrative and they have moved to cars now. Many people don't change their driving style from bike to car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks