Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 13:16   #29506
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
They're right. Hit and Run is not a traffic violation, it's a criminal offense. Not under the jurisdiction of traffic police.
OK. So let us see it this way.

Hit & run is mainly because there was a 3rd party involved who suffered a fall. If not, then you can clearly see violation from the truck driver, especially the overtaking maneuver which if seen clearly hints at Rash and negligent driving (Our very own traffic cops penalize violators for this).

While I can still say it was coincidental that the 2 wheeler rider got into this, what is the purpose of having a public eye portal where a violation is reported (I will first see this as a traffic violation in terms of rash driving than hit and run)?

Secondly, based on the evidence from the screengrab and video, It was surprising to expect the traffic cops to ignore this incident/accident and ask me to go and give a written complaint at the Police Station. I know how cops badly pass the buck even between jurisdictions but the least I would have expected here is to take this Public eye ticket to the L&O cops and initiate necessary action.

And on the same day, I checked the violations against this truck (in 2016 when this had happened) and no wonder I saw a penalty for "Rash Driving" in its kitty:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg

Moral of the Story - This incident too had captured Rash Driving which is a traffic violation and I expected the cops to act on this rather than asking me to visit the station and write a complaint.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th September 2019 at 13:26.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 14:06   #29507
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

One thing which I have come to learn from (a) direct experiences with traffic police (b) accounts by friends/relatives, of experiences with traffic police :

- Their primary purpose is NOT the safety and well being of general public
- Their primary purpose is to meet 'fine targets' set up periodically in monthly "law and order and traffic situation reports/briefings" within the home ministry
- There will be surgical fine collection drives like "helmet month" or "signal violation month" etc where they dont bother about any other traffic violation
- Rules are rules, there is not even an iota of scope, for logical decision making and settling arguments. Tomorrow, if there is a supplementary law that gets passed, banning the usage of yellow coloured shirts while driving any vehicle, the way the implementing traffic police force perceives it is NOT "what's the point of this rule, for whose sake, what is the justification" ; it is "oho, a new reason to collect fines, lets send 10 teams to all major junctions right away".
venkyhere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 14:34   #29508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I know how cops badly pass the buck even between jurisdictions but the least I would have expected here is to take this Public eye ticket to the L&O cops and initiate necessary action.

Moral of the Story - This incident too had captured Rash Driving which is a traffic violation and I expected the cops to act on this rather than asking me to visit the station and write a complaint.
Not a legal expert, but I think for Hit & Run, the victim has to give a written complaint against the perpetrator. Suo moto cases are registered only in case of fatalities.

BTP is still seen as 'modern' compared to TP from tier 2/3/4.. cities because they act on complaints based on evidence from users. In an ideal world they should've acted on it and passed it to L&O, I agree, but we're not 'modern' enough for that yet. The reason for that would be topic for another discussion.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:44   #29509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
In an ideal world they should've acted on it and passed it to L&O, I agree, but we're not 'modern' enough for that yet. The reason for that would be topic for another discussion.
Exactly my point. My video was evidence for Rash driving and they should have first acted upon that which they didn't. Hit and Run - Well, that is something I saw and titled my video.

Regarding how our cops are better than the others, probably we need to have a seperate thread on that because I have posted such complaints enough number of times but to no avail and realised they act selectively and ignore most of them.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 16:56   #29510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
There is no feedback on what action taken against our reports.
After submission of the complaint using Public Eye, a complaint number is generated (at the bottom of the screen for PC). Using the complaint number status can be checked on http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...intStatus.aspx

After violation is raised fine amount can be seen on https://www.karnatakaone.gov.in/Poli...VoQlNaZVV2UT09
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 21:28   #29511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
... primary purpose is to meet 'fine targets' set up periodically in monthly "law and order and traffic situation reports/briefings" within the home ministry
- There will be surgical fine collection drives like "helmet month" or "signal violation month" etc ....
Not intending to undermine the tough and thankless job which our traffic cops do day in and out on our dusty and ever congested roads. Kudos and thanks to them

If the quoted sentence is true, there is certainly less presence of them manning the roads ever since the fine amounts increased astronomically. The fine targets seem to have been met well in advance

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th September 2019 at 21:33.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:16   #29512
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Kamil Haris for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Sharing an accident story.

My friend (anonymous) met with an accident last Friday (6-09-2019) at 12.30 am on his way From Eranakulam, Kerala while he was driving his Maruti Dzire 2015 VXi December model with no airbags. He recalls that he was trying to cut away from a moving animal which he supposed was a dog. He lost the control there after and went on to hit the gutter. He said he was driving at a decent speed. He doesn't recall the exact speed though.

The car is heavily damaged, but thankfully, he came out with injuries on the forehead hands and legs and is now under bed rest. He swore by god that his life was saved only because of the seat belts and says that we should always drive safe.

The insurance verification is pending. The IDV of the car is Rs. 3.6 lakhs and my friend is not expecting a total loss since it has just run 20,000 km till now and he doesn't want to part the vehicle for that price.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0054.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0056.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0057.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0060.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0061.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0062.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0063.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0065.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0067.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0077.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0078.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0079.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0080.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190909wa0081.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_090902.18.12.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_090902.19.06.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_090902.20.05.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2019 at 13:04.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:14   #29513
Senior - BHPian

Woah! The fact that he came out alive is amazing. I may get criticized for saying this, but this is one situation where the damage to the front of the car has been extensive and the cabin is intruded, but to a lesser degree than I expected. Maybe crumple zones and impact absorption have been useful. There's just enough space between the steering and the seat for him to have survived. Seat belts probably were that vital factor that prevented lethal injury.
I guess he's sentimental about the car and would like to keep it, but if it were me, I would accept a total loss even if it created a financial dent. Experts here can analyse the actual structural damage and make more comments.
It's good to see people use the submit page to submit information for this forum and it's many visitors to benefit - great feature admins!
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:33   #29514
BHPian

Happy that your friend is okay. Like Benji pointed out, the damage does look extensive, the entire front, A, B and probably the the C pillar also were deformed.
I would strongly suggest accept a total loss as this car will never ever be the same again, structurally. And that should be a cause for concern.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:41   #29515
Senior - BHPian

The Dzire has to be scrapped. No two ways about it. If he is so sentimental about it, ask him to buy it from the scrapyard to whom the insurance company sells it and keep it for posterity. The car has run its course and its time to be retired. It doesn't matter if it has run 2 km or 2 lakh km. It's not road worthy anymore. Good to hear that there were no casualties.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 15:24   #29516
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine had a minor accident last weekend. A rashly driven Tiago (Zoomcar) driver in an overtaking attempt collided with my friend's car. The Tiago driver acknowledged his mistake and agreed to pay for the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p2.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 11th September 2019 at 15:29.
Old 11th September 2019, 16:08   #29517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Video of the aftermath of this accident. The driver, a temple priest, survived luckily with minor injuries.
Luckily, the driver survived. From whatever angle I see, I feel that it seems to have happened while driving on the wrong side of the road. Any different thoughts?

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2019 at 21:35. Reason: Please avoid quoting videos in posts.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:00   #29518
BHPian

I had a minor incident today morning, while coming to office. A vehicle ahead of me braked. I too did. But, the guy behind couldn't. Impact is on the left part of the bumper (of my Tiago). His front right seems to have hit my car. He said sorry. So, I let it go

Here are few pics and dashcam footage (Sorry, no audio for dashcam! Somehow, it's disabled. Need to enable it back)

My question to the folks here is -

How easy is it for the paint for chip off like that on impact? Definitely, the impact is only on the bumper. It seems that the paint has come off bcoz of the impact. By the way, that is not OEM paint. There was some dent (some 6 months back), and as part of my claim, the while part was repainted.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190911102402.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190911102413.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2019 at 21:36. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
rajendra2278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 17:41   #29519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The Dzire has to be scrapped. No two ways about it. If he is so sentimental about it, ask him to buy it from the scrapyard to whom the insurance company sells it and keep it for posterity. The car has run its course and its time to be retired. It doesn't matter if it has run 2 km or 2 lakh km. It's not road worthy anymore. Good to hear that there were no casualties.
Exactly my thoughts. That car can now be sold by weight only. No way it can be restored to road worthiness.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:50   #29520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post

How easy is it for the paint for chip off like that on impact? Definitely, the impact is only on the bumper. It seems that the paint has come off bcoz of the impact. By the way, that is not OEM paint. There was some dent (some 6 months back), and as part of my claim, the while part was repainted.
OE paint does not chip off. Repaint easily chips off.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks