Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 18:05   #29521
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
By the way, that is not OEM paint. There was some dent (some 6 months back), and as part of my claim, the while part was repainted.
This is the issue. Looks like the part was just repainted, with a poor surface preparation. So the new paint refused to stick well and peeled off like paper. They have not sanded the old paint properly and degreased it. Why they did not replace the part is a different question. Had happened to my car but due to a different reason. They replaced the hood and bumper and while painting, the oversmart painter has tried to blend the paint by painting a small part of the fenders. He did not know that my car had a ceramic coating, and did not even sand the surface properly. The result was that during the wash a month later after, the new paint peeled off like paper. I took it to the ASC and had everyone gaping at the sight and they had to profusely apologize for the poor work, and for the fact that they never told me they would paint the fenders. Thankfully the original paint on the fenders were spotless, hence I refused their offer to repaint.
I suggest you to visit the ASC and enquire if they really replaced the part or scammed you or the insurance about the same.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 18:13   #29522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
My question to the folks here is -

How easy is it for the paint for chip off like that on impact? Definitely, the impact is only on the bumper. It seems that the paint has come off bcoz of the impact.
I learnt it the hard way recently. It really depends on the quality of the paint and its adhesion to the surface. In my case, its a new Verna with factory paint.A car rear ended mine at crawling speed in a busy roundabout. I have a paint peel off exactly like in your case but a very small portion. There is no other scratch. Clearly if the adhesion level of the paint is subbar, it just takes a minimal impact for it to peel out, it seems. But in comparison there have been a couple of rear-endings in my Vento, once by an auto and another by a biker, both time it just left scratches which was made almost invisible by rubbing compound but no paint peel off. And this is a bumper which was replaced and repainted by VW service center in the very early days. Clearly VW's painting approach even at their service centers seem to be far superior in comparison to the their competitors.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 20:46   #29523
Senior - BHPian

These cars were flattened when the ground floor of an apartment collapsed couple of months ago in East Bangalore.
It was only recently that the rubble was cleared and the road opened and the cars probably surfaced then.
The red one was a Brio.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b0217ec53e3c499fb149c5c2e7239104.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9a37cd8a0fed4ecab254c52e4cff6cf4.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 22:57   #29524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
These cars were flattened when the ground floor of an apartment collapsed couple of months ago in East Bangalore.
Obviously, very poor build quality.

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 00:11   #29525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would any vehicle have survived it? I doubt if even a Fortuner would have been able to. Probably not completely flattened but not less either.
Old 12th September 2019, 00:27   #29526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Yea totally for the building
Brishti is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 05:16   #29527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Would any vehicle have survived it? I doubt if even a Fortuner would have been able to. Probably not completely flattened but not less either.
Yup, every car has a maximum roof strength when designed. I don't think even a Fortuner could survive a building falling on it.

The only cars I can think of that could survive disastrous loads would be cars with race-derived carbon monocoques.

Last edited by raystriker : 12th September 2019 at 05:26.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:23   #29528
Senior - BHPian

Sarcasm has killed more lives than poorly built cars. Just saying... before this gets out of hand!!!
Build quality of Thad sir's sarcasm > cars> building

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 12th September 2019 at 07:25.
BenjiRoss is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:21   #29529
Distinguished - BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190912_07420801.jpeg

NICE road Bangalore: saw this today morning on my way to office. There is a upward gradient and I my guess is that the truck carrying the pre-cast structure (Metro rail segment I guess) had stopped or going very slowly on the "fast-lane" and the other truck didn't notice. The tyre marks suggest that he has tried to avoid it at the last moment by going right. Probably he didn't notice when he was overtaking another truck.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:05   #29530
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night while out cycling, spotted this XUV500-AT that had hit a concrete post & crashed into a small canal near Triperunthura on Thattarambalam-Mannar road (KL).

Apparently happened yesterday afternoon/evening with a novice driver (lady), no serious injuries to anyone. However the round-shaped break on the driver-side windshield seems to indicate driver hitting (unbelted)?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1568269951.230221.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1568269971.355586.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1568269990.853454.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:37   #29531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yesterday night while out cycling, spotted this XUV500-AT that had hit a concrete post & crashed into a small canal near Triperunthura on Thattarambalam-Mannar road (KL).

Apparently happened yesterday afternoon/evening with a novice driver (lady), no serious injuries to anyone. However the round-shaped break on the driver-side windshield seems to indicate driver hitting (unbelted)?
Attachment 1914575
Attachment 1914576
Attachment 1914577
It's that damn canal's fault. Look at it's audacity..

Jokes apart. Glad no serious injuries. But makes me question, why a novice was driving a pretty large, powerful car like the XUV 500
Turrrb0 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 14:09   #29532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Sarcasm has killed more lives than poorly built cars. Just saying... before this gets out of hand!!!
Build quality of Thad sir's sarcasm > cars> building
I am happy to concede! My little dig at fellow members is eclipsed by "build quality of the building!"

Seriously, it is sad to see the cars, and I hope there were no casualties, or lost homes.
Old 12th September 2019, 14:12   #29533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Jokes apart. Glad no serious injuries. But makes me question, why a novice was driving a pretty large, powerful car like the XUV 500
Ditto here. I'm seeing a few "L board" XUV 500s, Dusters and Scorpios in Chennai. When I say "a few", I mean to say that there are maybe 5 such learners out of 500 vehicles I see, whereas there were times earlier when you would learn only in a small and old hatchback first. You wouldn't ever see someone professing to learn in a big, costly vehicle.

This trend could be just because income levels have risen and people don't mind a few scratches or dings even on a large vehicle. But what such people should really fear are cases like these - plunging into canals, driving into a crowd of people etc.
Old 12th September 2019, 17:57   #29534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It was only recently that the rubble was cleared and the road opened and the cars probably surfaced then.
The red one was a Brio.

May be a out come of this collapse.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ollapse-105334
arin_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:05   #29535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
However the round-shaped break on the driver-side windshield seems to indicate driver hitting (unbelted)?
I think its the concrete pole that caused the windshield damage

Most Viewed