Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2019, 08:24   #29761
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
"There's no quarrel between an ant and a boot" even if the "ant" got a 5 star NCAP rating. For that matter Princess Di died in an S Class: would you think the S Class is unsafe?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...rc-s-class.jpg
She died as she was not wearing seatbelt and that car smashed into a pillar at around 160km/h. Her belted bodyguard survived with grievous injuries

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Typo
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 09:05   #29762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Shadow View Post
Attachment 1928365

Tata Tiago is considered to be one of the safer cars in the market by the general public, but the above picture makes me think otherwise.
I think you need to know a little more on how accidents and crash ratings work before thinking otherwise.

Even if the Tiago was 10/5 NCAP rated it would not change the outcome of a huge truck hitting the Tiago head on and dragging it for feet into a wall.

Unless Tiago was built for the army and able to withstand ballistic, then maybe passengers would have survived.

You have to be more realistic and know that a 4 star rating does not mean that car can withstand any sort of crash and whatever happens car will protect the occupants. As everyone mentioned even S class accidents result in death despite the fact that the S class is one of the safest cars worldwide.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 10:38   #29763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This accident and dramatic rescue happened in Madhya Pradesh. On a narrow 'bridge' across a river, a WagonR and auto collide and the WagonR falls into the river.
Wow! So many things wrong here!

1. Car was being driven on the centre of the road. There was enough space to let the auto pass. Even at the point of crash, there was space on the left of the car.
2. Overloaded auto, which immediately escapes the area. Zero F's given to the people who fell into the river (whatever that is).
3. Tailgating scooter who crashes into the auto after the impact.
4. Over speeding on such a narrow road
GeneralJazz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 12:31   #29764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Not to mention throwing the child onto the bystanders and making the child hit the wall , when the person was able to swim later to pick up the fallen child!

Agree it was nervous moments but still!
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 14:09   #29765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Not to mention throwing the child onto the bystanders and making the child hit the wall , when the person was able to swim later to pick up the fallen child!
I was horrified to see a child thrown like that. That child cheated death twice within a few moments. God bless her/him.
StarrySky is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 14:41   #29766
Distinguished - BHPian

That is indeed incredible drama. It was a mistake (although a near miss) to throw the child, but, in the heat (or rather cold wetness) of the situation, faced with saving family from drowning, mistakes are going to be made.

Sure, the car should not be in the middle of the road, and should (as should the other vehicle) have slowed/stopped. I can understand the car driver wanting to stay away from the edge: you'll never find me doing mountain driving, because I have just never gained the confidence in knowing exactly where my left wheels are. That bridge would be a scary situation for me, but, of course, I would take it dead slow.

It is a blessing that the river was not deeper: a few more feet might have added tragedy to the outcome. I'm guessing that the car windows were already open too, so people were not trapped inside.

Kudos to the rescuers. Nice to see action rather than filming! I couldn't make out if the auto truck just drove off or stopped at the end of the bridge? They don't seem to have contributed to the rescue.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:03   #29767
Distinguished - BHPian

<Later that day>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

1. Car was being driven on the centre of the road.
Looking at it again, the car is completely on the wrong side. Last minute steering to the left, even without any collision, would probably have put him in the river.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:36   #29768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
So, basically in a nutshell, a speeding truck rams into an approaching small hatchback car. The truck, after negating the car's, has enough kinetic energy of it's own left to drag the car into a wall. Not to forget the wall being an 'almost' immovable object.
Now, one expects the car's structure to not give way, just because one saw a few other accident photos where the body shell held it's own. Without knowing the speed, angle, composition of those crashes.
Also, one is quick to immediately question the manufacturer on quality.

Super, I'd say one has a bright future in sensationalism journalism.

Jokes apart, this might be the result irrespective of what small hatchback car was involved. Guess a car with a higher hood, like a compact SUV or a full blown SUV would've fared better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think you need to know a little more on how accidents and crash ratings work before thinking otherwise.

Even if the Tiago was 10/5 NCAP rated it would not change the outcome of a huge truck hitting the Tiago head on and dragging it for feet into a wall.

Unless Tiago was built for the army and able to withstand ballistic, then maybe passengers would have survived.

You have to be more realistic and know that a 4 star rating does not mean that car can withstand any sort of crash and whatever happens car will protect the occupants. As everyone mentioned even S class accidents result in death despite the fact that the S class is one of the safest cars worldwide.
Nobody here got the exact picture about what happened there, I guess.

I will explain in detail what I know,have seen and heard from a few witness.

The accident took place near my home, I know the road too well.This winding road is notorious for accidents.

This accident happened not on a straight highway but at a high degree corner, which by the way is just after a blind hairpin some 30 to 40 meters before en route.

"By a speeding truck" what is meant is that the MINI-truck was too fast for the corner.Also,to be noted- it was unladen. The driver is said to be Tamilian,who did not know the road well. The road is smooth tarmac and all these resulted in the accident, that too at 12 noon in sunny conditions[not wet].So it was definitely a driver error,from not knowing the road well enough.

The truck had moved to the wrong side at the left hand corner,unable to take the corner that fast, where it hit a bike first [not in picture]. This happened at the exit of the corner. The Tiago driver who was following the bike close by saw it and swerved the car to right side of the road, bit unfortunately the truck driver had lost control of the vehicle by then,and it changed direction and came on to the car on the other side of the road.

The truck hit on the left fender side of the car at an angle and that resulted in dragging the car to the wall. [[and not rotating the car or bouncing it off instead, which usually happens in most cases]]
Both vehicles had not touched the wall at all, they stopped well before the wall{ in picture}.The truck had pushed the car[some 2 to 3 meters at best] from the wrong side of the road to unpaved soil side of the road.

Also the truck had not directly hit on the passenger door or A-pillar.
The left A-pillar gave away and left side collapsed because the impact was solely on that particular side of the car. The rest of the car had no visual damages.

AND THAT BEGS THE QUESTION in this case.

That unladen mini truck would have a weight of some 6 to 8 tonnes.
The fastest,I have ever taken that corner on a car is never above 50 kmph even when I pushed the car, I can vouch for that.

The truck has to be much slower than that, and it had already hit a bike and by normal sense that truck driver must have applied brakes once at least as a reaction, by then.

The tiago was supposed to take a side road nearby in under 100 meters as per news reports.Also the driver is a native of the place, who knows the road and the corner, so I presume the Tiago's speed was lesser even.

So in no way it was a high speed accident, just an unfortunate one at that.

And yet, shape of the car seems questionable.
And I did the same..

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th October 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability
Flying Shadow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 19:47   #29769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Shadow View Post
Nobody here got the exact picture about what happened there, I guess.

... ... ...

So in no way it was a high speed accident, just an unfortunate one at that.

And yet, shape of the car seems questionable.
And I did the same..
The speeding element may have been misunderstood, but... You could drive a truck into a small car at 5km/hr: it wouldn't do it much good.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 13:43   #29770
BHPian

An accident which took place yesterday near my home. A motor cyclist overtakes into the path of a bus, he survived from what I know. These stunts are very usual and normally it works but like this one, it misfires sometimes which can be very unfortunate.

sparky@home is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 14:08   #29771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
An accident which took place yesterday near my home. A motor cyclist overtakes into the path of a bus, he survived from what I know. These stunts are very usual and normally it works but like this one, it misfires sometimes which can be very unfortunate.
It looks like the car in front of the bike stopped as the car in front of it slowed/stopped. The bike was not at a safe distance and hence couldn't stop on time. It swerved onto the oncoming bus to avoid rear-ending the car.
I looked at the video at slower speed to see if the above is what happened. Can anyone else throw some light on why the biker went onto the right?

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 31st October 2019 at 14:18.
Old 31st October 2019, 14:54   #29772
BHPian

I think the auto is parked on the road. The omni managed to pass it before the bus reached the spot, but the trailing car was only half way through the overtaking and had to brake. You can see the bus going a little left to avoid the car.
The scooterist obviously could not stop in time and veered into the buses path.
Old 31st October 2019, 15:11   #29773
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone spot the moronic state of affairs whereby the authorities have invested in monitoring the dangerous bridge with CCTV to investigate accidents as an aftermath but have obviously done nothing to even put side crash barriers to PREVENT an accident in the first place? Only in our blessed country can such things happen. It’s part of our culture I guess. My former boss often said, there are accolades for fire fighting, but none for fire prevention.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 15:41   #29774
Senior - BHPian

One civilian killed, 21 BSF jawans injured in bus accident in Meghalaya

Quote:
Shillong, Oct 30 : A civilian died and 21 BSF jawans with 2 civilians severely injured when a bus in which they were traveling slipped off the road and fell into a deep gorge at Umtyrah village in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills District, a police official said on Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-74904274_512661402620104_873436046942011392_n.jpg  

Old 31st October 2019, 15:45   #29775
BHPian

Picture and News Source: https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...yinkeezhu.html
Looks like Himalayan split into two after hitting a car. News says guys on bike escaped without major injuries while 3 passengers on the car had some injuries as the car lost control and hit a wall. Bike was over speeding and was over taking another vehicle when this happened as per the article.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bikeaccident.jpg  

ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks