Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 00:14   #29941
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They still act as if they lived in a time when drivers had manners? Certainly very wrong.
Certainly

That poor old man was running for his life.

Most of the drivers I spot on the road are either on phone or looking at anywhere except the road ahead and this puts others in danger.

Here, the bus driver could have spotted him if he had his eyes on the road.
GladRagu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 07:08   #29942
Senior - BHPian

Krishnagiri Toll booth accident:
A truck 'loses control' (i need to find a replacement for that phrase or Thad sir will take me to task one day) and crashes into the toll booth and unfortunately into bikers. Two people lost their lives. It looks like the truck continued for a while beyond what is seen in the cctv footage.
BenjiRoss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 07:43   #29943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A truck 'loses control' (i need to find a replacement for that phrase or Thad sir will take me to task one day) and crashes into the toll booth and unfortunately into bikers.
A family of four on a scooty escaped in few secs.

More on this
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le30132724.ece
GladRagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 12:48   #29944
BHPian

Quote:
A truck 'loses control' (i need to find a replacement...
I feel a runaway truck pit / ramp should be available at toll booths as a rule, specially if they are situated after a long straight run. In most cases when a driver looses control of their vehicle due to brake failure, they have no where else to go but into standstill traffic.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 13:52   #29945
Distinguished - BHPian

The thing about losing control, as in something unexpected proving we didn't actually have proper control, is we don't know about it until it happens. If we didn't have the skill to prevent it happening, it is unlikely that we have the skill to recover it.

For those rare genuine cases of brake failure (most common in old trucks? Vehicles that can do the most harm) the driver has to find out before it is too late and if there is an escape lane, have clear road to access it.

I still maintain that most brake failure is in the foot, not the pedal.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 16:31   #29946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Perks of having an absolute moron behind the wheel. Too many things were wrong in that video. I'm assuming the driver has little to zilch experience driving an SUV.

1. The driver went far too wide while overtaking.
2. Applying brakes too early while attempting to cut off the 800 and merge back into the correct lane at the same time.
3. Cutting too sharply back into the lane.
4. Over correcting, that too much earlier than the input should have been done. This is what induced the drift and ultimately led to the crash.

SUV's hate sudden directional changes. Period. To have done it on a wet road twice over shows inexperience of epic proportions. The driver might have barely pulled it off it were a sedan but with a SUV, stands no chance at all.
1. Brezza is a far cry from being an SUV
2. Any car would have resulted into the same outcome given with the same conditions and actions of the driver.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 7th December 2019 at 16:35.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 17:08   #29947
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
A truck 'loses control' (i need to find a replacement for that phrase or Thad sir will take me to task one day) and crashes into the toll booth and unfortunately into bikers. Two people lost their lives. It looks like the truck continued for a while beyond what is seen in the cctv footage
The only thing that could have saved the biker was, if he had probably looked towards right before moving to the adjacent road (at 00:10). He could have observed a truck approaching in an unusual manner or at an unusual speed and probably moved out of the way or stopped.
UMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 20:34   #29948
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this video on FB of a gigantic oil slick on a flyover in Kolkata. A sumo nearly falls off the flyover followed by a Bolero goods carrier which topples after skidding on the oil:

I can't help but think that my TUV wouldn't fare too well either in such a situation. Controlling my speed remains the best option; it's not just cows jumping the median or 2 wheelers or any of the other known perils that I need to fear. It's gigantic oil slick patches like this as well! Oh man...
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:07   #29949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is a speculation but, damn for such a heavy frontal impact why didn't the front airbags deploy?

The Ertiga gets front airbags as standard.
That was the first question I asked the technician and he promptly replied "Sir, the impact was enough to deploy the airbags" and I was zapped..... I showed him the interior where in even the dashboard was dislodged and moved forward and yet he says..."impact was not enough to deploy airbags"
TorqueTwist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 02:18   #29950
BHPian

Looking at the above Truck vs 2wheeler accident.I guess this is why 1 km before toll booths speed breakers need to be present and (heavy) all vehicles should be warned using proper signage to test their brakes.
People always have a tendency to utilize cut in speed breakers to avoid braking.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th December 2019 at 03:32. Reason: Rectified typo
Old 8th December 2019, 17:57   #29951
ada
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
All that momentum crushing ANY car with a laden lorry would have resulted in a similar state. Suzuki cars might not be the best when it comes to safety, but this is a really unfair situation to make such a comment.
During safety tests is there any test which considers impact from back end?
Old 8th December 2019, 20:01   #29952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
That was the first question I asked the technician and he promptly replied "Sir, the impact was enough to deploy the airbags" and I was zapped..... I showed him the interior where in even the dashboard was dislodged and moved forward and yet he says..."impact was not enough to deploy airbags"
This is really scary. An oil spill right on the downward sloping curve is a recipe for perfect disaster. Almost every vehicle after the Bolero struggled to stop including the bus. Had the bus been any faster, it would have been a really dangerous situation to be in.

Not sure if we could avoid accidents in such situations. Many years back, I was riding on my pulsar and on a turn, there was a lot of oil. Even though I was at about 20 and it was a minor curve, the oil layer was thick and slippery. My bike lost complete grip and so did my shoes. Fell down face first but was saved by my Helmet and the strong side guard of bike.
theflyingguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 22:58   #29953
Distinguished - BHPian

Invisible oil on the road is one very real loosing-control situation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:03   #29954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
For those rare genuine cases of brake failure (most common in old trucks? Vehicles that can do the most harm) the driver has to find out before it is too late and if there is an escape lane, have clear road to access it.

I still maintain that most brake failure is in the foot, not the pedal.

No sir. Most brake failures are in the electronics, and all the recent brake failures are in the full ABS trucks. Discussion with a few truck owners as told me that, recession in auto industry is not due to downturn in economy, increased axle loading, but due to the poor electronics that is causing brake failure. Fleet owners who had a 3 yr 5 lakh km replacement policy have pulled on their trucks to 5 year 7.5 lakhs, spent more on maintaining older trucks, and only replaced trucks that are troublesome.
Pre 2017 trucks had rear channel ABS, and cross split air circuit with isolated master cylinders. In these there used to be ocassional partial bake failure, where mechanical failure would be front right and rear left or vice versa, and electronic failure used to be only rear axle, only one rear axle in multi axles.
In heavy braking these trucks did not stop in straight line if driver did not give corrective input, this prompted the authorities to add EBD with shared parameters, and this is causing multiple failures in new trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post

Well it's Maruti. People will complain if airbags deploy and they have to replace them. Threshold of impact set for airbag deployment is quiet high in stock cars. Good news is that you can get it reduce using OBD port, but you have to do that after every software update.

Rahul

Last edited by navin : 9th December 2019 at 11:48.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 11:31   #29955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Happened on Thursday in Pune. An elderly person crossing the road is crushed by the private bus. From the visuals, it looks like there was a red signal when he was crossing the road. When he's halfway through, suddenly the traffic starts moving & he knocked by the bus. As per the news reports, the person died on the spot.
Very sad to see this. The gait of this gentleman shows the confidence he has on the drivers on the road to care for him. But where is the crossing to? I see fencing in the median.

Last edited by navin : 9th December 2019 at 11:40. Reason: broken quote and removed video from quote

Most Viewed