Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 19:17   #30046
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

How should a vehicle coming out from a roadside shop or smaller road merge into a highway?

Option 1: Stop beyond the shoulder/stop sign, wait patiently for traffic to clear, enter your side of highway after giving signal when it is safe.

Option 2: Traffic is high and I can't cross to join my side of highway immediately. My time is too precious to spend waiting patiently at the side of highway. Let me ride on opposite side (with lights blinking, hazard lights on- means I am on the wrong side, but give me way anyway) and join into my side when traffic is low.

Near Mettupalayam, TN, an scooter rider chose option 2. After encountering a motorcyclist coming in correct side, he tries to prematurely cross the highway to merge to his lane while a government bus is oncoming. Bus tries to avoid him by swerving to right, hits him anyway and also hits another government bus coming on the opposite side.

Result: Scooter rider dies on the spot.
RIP.
30 passengers of bus injured. About 5, including both bus drivers, are battling serious injuries in GH.

All because a scooter rider couldn't wait patiently to merge into highway.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 24th December 2019 at 19:18.
Arwin07 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 20:04   #30047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Result: Scooter rider dies on the spot.
RIP.
30 passengers of bus injured. About 5, including both bus drivers, are battling serious injuries in GH.

All because a scooter rider couldn't wait patiently to merge into highway.
Sorry! but I'm Happy for the scooter rider reaching his final destination and my big condolences to his family. Happy because one peanut size brainy is no more on the road.

30 people were injured for no reason. Wish both the bus drivers come out hale and safe and they are capable of attending to their duties and feed the family.

Mod Note: Please do NOT post in such a reckless, insensitive manner on Team-BHP. Next time infraction!

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2019 at 10:53. Reason: Please do NOT post in such a reckless, insensitive manner on Team-BHP. Next time infraction!
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:32   #30048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Happy because one peanut size brainy is no more on the road.
Isn't it a bit insensitive to feel happy about someone's death?

RIP, no one deserves to die.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:50   #30049
BHPian

I don’t want any one to die and I’m actually very sensitive on this matter.
But in this case he is a murderer and no different from a terrorist. He tried to kill 30+ people due to his negligence and insensitivity towards other road users. By gods grace the people he tried escaped with injuries and this guy is OFF.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:55   #30050
BHPian

Quote:
Near Mettupalayam, TN, an scooter rider chose option 2.
I witness these kind of people daily. Not only just two wheelers, even some of the autos do the same. They are risking not only their lives but also the lives of others.

Let the scooter rider's soul RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
He tried to kill 30+ people due to his negligence and insensitivity towards other road users.
Agreed.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 24th December 2019 at 22:10. Reason: Added quote
Old 24th December 2019, 23:28   #30051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Child falls off a moving car in Kerala. This accentuates the need to use child-lock when children were onboard.
And the need for them to be belted in an appropriate child seat!
It's a miracle that the the oncoming bus and the trailing vehicle did not end up driving over the child.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 24th December 2019 at 23:36.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 07:22   #30052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bus tries to avoid him by swerving to right, hits him anyway and also hits another government bus coming on the opposite side.
Another cctv capture. With more power to these commuter vehicles, more their hegemony

ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 11:05   #30053
BHPian

Here's something you don't see everyday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20191225105533093.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20191225105628011.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20191225105556168.jpeg

IndiaTVNews
jailbird_fynix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 14:20   #30054
BHPian

This happened today in the morning when I was returning to Bangalore somewhere between Sira and Chitradurga. Another overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong. A few more inches and I would have been part of it! There were 5 people on board, one of them was a child. Luckily no one was hurt. The driver said he was going fast and lost control.
I always feared this would happen one day so I always make it a point to stay away from the innermost lane.

ROG_AK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 17:34   #30055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Another overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong. A few more inches and I would have been part of it! There were 5 people on board, one of them was a child. Luckily no one was hurt. The driver said he was going fast and lost control.
I always feared this would happen one day so I always make it a point to stay away from the innermost lane.
That is a scary miss indeed. Wish we didn't have all those shrubs on the median blocking the view of the road. Why can't they be planted on the sides behind the guard rails?

So he overtook from the left, panicked, lost control and decided to do a bit of offroading?
Old 25th December 2019, 17:47   #30056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That is a scary miss indeed. Wish we didn't have all those shrubs on the median blocking the view of the road. Why can't they be planted on the sides behind the guard rails?

So he overtook from the left, panicked, lost control and decided to do a bit of offroading?
The reason (most probable) is that the plants are supposed to block the headlights of oncoming vehicles during the night. But what with erratic planting of these and random livestock and humans popping out of them at any given point of time and place pretty much renders the whole idea useless. I myself often wonder what better solution we can come up with to the problem, but unless we as a nation learn to respect rules and drive carefully the number of “accidents” is just going to keep increasing.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:44   #30057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ya he was going really fast and lost control while overtaking. I thought he was going to hit me for sure! Lady luck played her hand though!
With these kinds of things happening I feel they should have guard rails throughout the entire highway instead of those shrubs. I know it's not viable but would feel a bit safer.
ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 19:04   #30058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Thanks for sharing .

I always fear this and I always try to drive in the middle lane. With roads having just 2 lane or a single lane road, I always stay in the middle and keep scanning my rear view mirrors so that vehicles faster than me can pass.

But, I always prefer to stay in the middle lane for the buffer / cushion it provides from the opposite end traffic [either lane] or from random 2 wheelers / cattle / animals on the left most lane.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 19:05   #30059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
... But what with erratic planting of these and random livestock and humans popping out of them at any given point of time and place...
Tell me about it!
Two years back, new car, just over a month old, while driving on SB Road, Pune, just had crossed the traffic signal when out of the blue this dog jumps out of those bushes on the divider and bang in front of me. Couldn't stop in time. Sadly the dog lost her life and I fortunately broke only the front bumper. Nobody was trailing me closely, thank God for small mercies.

A pedestrian said, just a few days ago, an old lady (most probably a begger) broke a few bones while crossing the road in such a manner
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 19:11   #30060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
A pedestrian said, just a few days ago, an old lady (most probably a begger) broke a few bones while crossing the road in such a manner
The Bangalore-Chennai highway, especially on the stretch between Ambur and Vellore is perhaps one of the most infamous examples for such incidents. Animals (both two legged and four, sorry!) darting across the road out of seemingly nowhere, trucks and bikes on the wrong side of the highway (read bridges) etc. The madness doesn’t seem to stop.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks