Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 14:56   #30166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SUV drowning accident in Karnataka

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have heard stories where miscreants push small animals (particularly goats) in front of oncoming vehicles and when they are hit, create a scene and demand unreasonable compensation.
On a dark, rainy night on the ECR between Mahabalipuram and Chennai, I witnessed two gleeful miscreants push a hapless stray dog onto my TUV 300's path (my headlamps picked up their grin-exposed teeth in the darkness for a fleeting moment). As I was only at 60 Kmph, I safely swerved to avoid the poor dog but the people in the car had quite a fright, with the body on frame vehicle's dynamics being what it is...I think these miscreants were doing it just for sadistic fun and not to extort money (with it being a stray dog).

All said and done, if I had been at a higher speed and in an unrecoverable situation, I'd have run over the dog to save myself and the car's occupants. In fact, I nearly did this with a pedestrian on the Madurai-Theni National highway at night 2 weeks ago; he appeared out of nowhere when my TUV was cruising at a good 100 Kmph. I did nothing and held my course since I knew right then that my car couldn't do what it would take to avoid hitting the guy. All I know is that I didn't hit him.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 15:37   #30167
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Who knows, going by how these buses are maintained we might see some jugaad to get the axle back to its place and then no one cares about the crumple zones and other stuff .................................. I dont see these operators give a damn about keeping buses like how it came from the factory. They just want it running as early as possible with the least expense.
Well bus operators follow the principal of keeping the mechanical perfect and ignoring the cosmetics. They do want to run about 3.5 Lakh km a year for 5 to 6 years and still have a saleable vehicle left.

Second thing they care about is cost of tires which costs Rs 17000.

Bus owners want tires to have worn 75% after about 1.35 lakh km when they can send them for regrowing for use on tag axle, and then further remoulding for use on rear axle. Unless geometry is correct tires wear out fast, and additional friction also means lower fuel efficiency.

A 1000 km per day route means a Lakh km in 100 days, and about 350Lit of diesel a day.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th January 2020 at 17:02. Reason: Spacing
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 16:33   #30168
Senior - BHPian

An accident tweeted and shared by a popular Vellore city account yesterday. Exact date and time are not known (still awaiting a reply to my response)

For starters, both lanes are supposed to go forward (as per this dash cam footage) but divide to finally enter the bus stand or avoid the entrance.

This is a route I use very often near the New Bus Stand and unfortunately is poorly understood. After 5 years, i still don't know if this is a one way or not!! It is the service road off the Bangalore Chennai highway but traffic goes the opposite way through a disorganised 5 road junction. Being the bus stand, nobody really cares as taking a diversion to avoid riding on this section means about 10 minutes extra. I have several dash cam footages of this very section with close calls and rash drivers. My only side-rear ending that damaged my car was on this section.

Google Maps also is not clear about this section.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th January 2020 at 17:03. Reason: Spacing
BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 17:31   #30169
BHPian

Four men drown after SUV flips over and falls into lake near Bengaluru

It's FORD EcoSport. It seems the Driver tried to avoid a Dog and hit a stone, resulting in flipping of the Car in to the Lake. Saddest part is that the depth of the lake was only about 6 feet, which means, the occupants might've died of shock before drowning.

Usual observation - Borrowed vehicle should be driven in a sedate manner, since you're not accustomed to the dynamics of the vehicle. It takes months, before an owner of the vehicle gets aligned with his Car.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 13:26   #30170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I witnessed two gleeful miscreants push a hapless stray dog onto my TUV 300's path (my headlamps picked up their grin-exposed teeth in the darkness for a fleeting moment).
yo
Well they deserve a right good thrashing. Such behavior really perplexes me. Were you able to capture this on your dash cam by any chance?
Old 14th January 2020, 14:16   #30171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Were you able to capture this on your dash cam by any chance?
I let the footage get overwritten. I've gotten inured to the daily circus and dramatic evil that I see on our roads and I've sadly let this and many more incidents pass. They're all par for the course.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:23   #30172
BHPian

Happened today morning (Jan 14) near Mysore. Two people in the Dzire have lost their life and one person seriously injured. The car was heading to Kerala which had a head-on collision with an Innova coming from the opposite direction
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dz2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dz3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dz1.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 16:10   #30173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Happened today morning (Jan 14) near Mysore.
A few more pics of the same.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20200114-11.12.10-am.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20200114-11.12.18-am.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20200114-11.12.19-am.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpeg
This last pics hints that this is infact a divided road but traffic diverted to only one side for a road work on the other side probably. Just a guess.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 14th January 2020 at 16:15.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 16:36   #30174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
An accident tweeted and shared by a popular Vellore city account yesterday..
I know this turning. Many people drive recklessly on the "wrong" side. It's actually a service lane.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 10:35   #30175
Senior - BHPian

This apparently happened in Coimbatore (unconfirmed) yesterday. No news about the exact location. A child walks unsupervised onto a road and gets hit by a bike. There was very little time to react for the biker and he probably did not expect the child. It's not clear if the people who carried the child after that were the parents or just onlookers.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:19   #30176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I travelled this road last week and parts of it have been closed for traffic (not sure why)
I too was there a couple of weeks ago. The whole stretch from Coimbatore to Pollachi is being widened to form 4-lane. There are several places where the work is completed with painted markings. I guess the work would be completed in a few more months. Diversions are inevitable and it is the duty of the road user to be careful.
Old 15th January 2020, 14:01   #30177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
I too was there a couple of weeks ago. The whole stretch from Coimbatore to Pollachi is being widened to form 4-lane. There are several places where the work is completed with painted markings. I guess the work would be completed in a few more months. Diversions are inevitable and it is the duty of the road user to be careful.
This stretch is already completed and I have travelled this many times. It didn't seem like there was any repair work being done, during the last week that I was there, but still the diversions were put in. Early morning drives are risky with negligible traffic and higher speeds.
Old 15th January 2020, 16:39   #30178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This last pics hints that this is infact a divided road but traffic diverted to only one side for a road work on the other side probably. Just a guess.
Correction in this guess:

It was a case of the dzire jumping the divider.
Old 16th January 2020, 14:10   #30179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
yo
Well they deserve a right good thrashing. Such behavior really perplexes me. Were you able to capture this on your dash cam by any chance?
Just yesterday, a three month pupy got lost in my apartment complex for a few hours. It was found later badly beaten, in half dead state. Humans are truly wicked species.
Old 16th January 2020, 19:52   #30180
BHPian

MG Hector upside Down. Surprisingly, the sun roof has survived. Hope the occupants were belted.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hector_01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hector_02.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hector_03.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hector_04.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hector_05.jpg

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 16th January 2020 at 19:54.
Sarvodaya is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks