Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:41   #30226
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
2 things that went wrong here
1. Stopping the bus in the middle of the highway obstructing the general flow of traffic.
2. Night drivings are becoming more dangerous and having an argument at 3:30 AM?. Who on earth does this?

In the above accident, there is no way that Omni bus driver behind would have guessed that, the bus is parked/stopped and there are people behind arguing for some nonsense.
Very tragic, especially right after probably returning from Pongal festivities.

On argument front, lot of people on our roads carry ego instead of insurance and that leads to these kind of road rages.

Also, I agree that in this incident that the private bus driver is probably nothing or little to blame for. But they are one of the top aggressive vehicles on this road in general. They speed recklessly all the time and unlike government buses very few of the private buses have speed governors and sometimes they speed excessively (read >140kmph) and their insistent distinctive honking and high beams flashing on small vehicles is a huge menace.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 22nd January 2020 at 13:42.
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:30   #30227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I agree with all of your points except on the 13 year old. There is no way she has seen scenarios go this bad. I mean, one mistake after the other. I have seen kids run across the street, they cannot possible account to time, speed and distance at that age.
Though that's a valid point. I personally as a teenager much like her remember that, 1. you should never run across a road, and 2. to only cross once you are 100% certain that there is no one coming. These are pretty simple rules for a 13 yr old to abide by, IMO ofcourse.
Obviously I am not blaming her, but these are basic things that a person of that age should be aware of.

Quote:
The gravest mistake is committed by the Duster - when he clearly does not have enough visibility and is still speeding. This quite clearly is a busy section of the highway - it is passing through some sort of a market - you cannot possibly be doing highway speeds here. Usually this is the most fatal one. I am glad that the girl is safe.
No doubt about this. .

Although the person who set this accident into motion was the blue van driver. This is the vehicle which blocked the duster and girl from seeing each other.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:44   #30228
BANNED

Mahindra Scorpio hits a divider at high speed, flies and crashes into a bike. It seems that the authorities blocked the road and diverted the traffic into opposite lane.

In case of such road repairs requiring diversions & mergers into opposite lanes, concerned authorities should place warning signs about at least 500 meters before hand to ensure safety of the road users, a warning sign just besides the repair spot won't help.

Last edited by wheelguy : 23rd January 2020 at 11:52.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:08   #30229
BHPian

Two trucks collide. Multiple blasts.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck_01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck_02.jpg

Gory Images. Not posting here.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Two images removed. Under review.
Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:31   #30230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Two trucks collide. Multiple blasts.
These are two separate incidents. The two trucks colliding resulting in the deaths of the drivers is from Sambalpur, Odisha. Link here

And the "Gas cylinders exploding incident" is from Surat, on Surat - Mumbai highway. Link here. There were no casualties reported from the second incident. As usual, WhatsApp and Facebook users combined both together to create a dramatic story.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:23   #30231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Gory Images. Not posting here.
The ones posted here aren't pleasing either. The more you zoom the more gory it becomes.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:07   #30232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Brezza has handled it very well with less intrusion. Hope both the drivers are safe
I really didn't understand what you want to say.. I mean, did you expect possibly more intrusion from something like a bicycle into most other cars, though the Brezza has deformed excessively enough for a bicycle? Or do you mean it deformed just at the sweetspot where the cyclist was safe (even though the cyclist status isn't published)? With a cycle being the other vehicle, I'd assume 100% of car drivers will escape injury of ANY kind, barring some freak skidding out, or the rider flying into the windshield.

Looking at the bonnet indentation, which mostly has been caused by the riders lower back, I'd say the rider hasn't been all that lucky.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 19:06   #30233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
These are two separate incidents.
Thanks. I assumed that the Gas cylinder was being carrying in one of the trucks. I had seen truck drivers stopping at highways and cooking by the roadside. I pity the truck drivers. Two lost lives.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 17:56   #30234
BHPian

5 Killed in an accident near Dindigul as a car flies over the divider and hits a vehicle in the opposite direction. The man on the cycle also seems to be dead. as per the news report, the 4 other people who died are from the same family. But it's unclear which car they were traveling in from the report.

Last edited by guru_max : 26th January 2020 at 18:00.
guru_max is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 21:31   #30235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post

5 Killed in an accident near Dindigul as a car flies over the divider and hits a vehicle in the opposite direction. The man on the cycle also seems to be dead. as per the news report, the 4 other people who died are from the same family. But it's unclear which car they were traveling in from the report.
RIP.
Those deceased are:
1 cyclist.
3 out of 5 of a family travelling in the Swift Dzire.
1 out of 2 people travelling in the Etios.

The Etios, driven by a doctor, was over speeding, hit a cyclist and jumped into opposite lane hitting a Dzire whose only mistake was to be present in the wrong place at a wrong time.

Only things we can do to avoid getting severely injured/dead by vehicles jumping from opposite lane:

1. Buy the safest car your money can buy !!!
2. Wear seat belt. The 70 year old in Etios (grandmother of doctor who was driving it) would most likely not be wearing a seat belt. Wearing seat belt improves your odd of survival even if the inevitable crash happens.
3. To slightly reduce the risk or to buy some time to maneuver, drive in middle lane of 3+3 lane highways and left lane of 2+2 lane highways.

What authorities should do:
1. Deploy more patrols, Speed cameras and implement fines/punishment for over speeding.
2. Construct medians that cannot be driven over. Increase the height. This will prevent such jump over accidents as well as prevent the need for growing plants in the median whose purpose is to prevent glare from oncoming vehicles at night and which as a side effect attract cattle grazing, leading to more accidents.
Arwin07 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 22:33   #30236
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
5 Killed in an accident near Dindigul as a car flies over the divider and hits a vehicle in the opposite direction.
Its clear that the etios was at a very high speed and left side wheels lost grip when it came in contact with sand/small-stones strewn by the edge of the left lane. Plus the fact that steering action (cutting right, to squeeze between two wheeler and truck) was aiding the way the car would turn upon such grip loss, also aggravated the situation
Old 26th January 2020, 22:35   #30237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
2. Wear seat belt.
The Basics of Travelling in Car is never followed. Judging by the video, had the passengers in swift and etios were belted up, one or two passengers might have survived. I pity the cyclist. Wrong place to be in the wrong time.

No Words for the Doctor who does not respect elders (grandmother)
Old 26th January 2020, 22:43   #30238
Senior - BHPian

Better to build a five foot wall instead of a divider. Is it only me, or does the car really seem to speed up after hitting the cyclist?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 23:10   #30239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Better to build a five foot wall instead of a divider. Is it only me, or does the car really seem to speed up after hitting the cyclist?
It is possible that the driver in panic must have pressed the gas pedal fully instead of brake.
Old 26th January 2020, 23:38   #30240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5 Killed in an accident near Dindigul as a car flies over the divider and hits a vehicle in the opposite direction.
I had driven on this stretch during Christmas break and had found this stretch to be rather safe and here's what I'd written about it:

Quote:
The road from Theni to Trichy via Batlagundu bypass is slow at first with heavy Sabarimala traffic and the Kodaikanal crowd on a median-less 4 lane highway. Once you're well past Batlagundu and on the way to Dindigul, you'll find yourself on a vast 6 lane highway with a flat median and excellent all-round visibility. There are no plants on the median and since the road is only 2 years old (so I'm told), there aren't that many encroachments on either side nor much of crossing traffic. That road will take you all the way into Trichy very quickly.
The supposed 6 lane road I'd mentioned here is actually a 4 lane road, the very same road where this mishap has occurred. It has this flat median but there's excellent all round visibility with very few human settlements or crossing traffic all along. It's sad that this happened. The doctor in question (who drove the Etios at high speeds) faces a lifetime ahead with the guilt of 5 deaths on him and a very lengthy legal process ahead of him.

Most Viewed