Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 09:17   #30661
BHPian

A family met with an accident on the Hassan highway yesterday. The circumstances were the same: car from the opposite lane lost control, climbed over the divider and hit their car.
The driver is in a bad condition but two ladies unfortunately couldn't make it. It is really sad how someone's mistake can cause so much to the innocent. Apparently, the other car driver had dozed off.

This is second such case within a week on that stretch. The morons collect huge toll but lack any sense of responsibility. Repeated laying of tar has caused the divider height to reduce which means you can practically take a U-turn on it in an SUV.

Looking at such repeated cases, why don't they increase the height or put barricades in such places? It's really scary just imagining the situation. No matter how slow or careful you are, if a car comes hurtling at you from the opposite side, there's really nothing you can do, even if you're in the left most lane.
abhi7013 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 10:07   #30662
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Konarak for sharing!

Attachment 1979595
It is probably not the right thing to say, but I am rather relieved seeing that car's side profile. The car's bonnet and front has nearly managed to bear the brunt of the force and the cabin is quite intact with even the A pillar or roof not showing much damage. Incidents like this, makes one feel justified in spending a higher sum of money on these European cars. If the occupants would have shown some respect towards the seat belt, they might have lived to tell the tale.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 11:25   #30663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks like they missed a speed-breaker and lost control. News Article.
This looks like a completely survivable scenario if all occupants were wearing seat-belts and the child was in a backward facing child seat. But more often than not, we come across this notion that the child is safest in the arms of a grandma, aunt, or anyone else.

Then there is this part in the article.

Quote:
40-year-old woman, who was at the wheels, battling for life; residents say the speed breaker wasn’t properly coloured.
We regularly come across many of these, made unscientifically, not painted properly or the paint has just faded over time. A little distraction with higher speeds is enough to cause a disaster.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 12:01   #30664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post

We regularly come across many of these, made unscientifically, not painted properly or the paint has just faded over time. A little distraction with higher speeds is enough to cause a disaster.
I am not supporting the authorities but it is very expensive to maintain all the speedbreakers on the road with working reflectors or reflective paint. It would be prohibitively expensive due to the wear and tear caused by our insane traffic density.

If all our drivers followed speed limits and obeyed stop signs, there will be no need for these killer contraptions called speed breakers.

I would like to share a relevant anecdote. In my hometown there is a 4 way junction consisting of a narrow village road cutting across main road and the authorities had sensibly put up stop signs as well as a good scientifically designed (the ones which don't scrape the belly of a sedan) speed breaker on both sides of the smaller road. The junction has a floodlight so there's no problem of visibility. In any other world this would have worked. But here, people soon realized that these breakers can be taken at a higher speed and voila! accidents started happening. Now the authorities decided to put up speed breakers on the main road as well, and the same 'good' speed breakers. This didn't solve the problem either as even these can be driven over at good speeds. This prompted the authorities to put up those bone jarring contraption of multiple speedbreakers at uneven heights which could even scrape the belly of a compact SUV

Well, did it solve the problem? I heard from my school friend that sometime back there was an accident where a tourist bus driver new to the area didn't notice the speedbreakers, went over them at good speed, lost steering control while going over them and collided head on with a car coming from the other direction

Now tell me whom to blame? Authorities for putting up speed breakers or the drivers having absolutely no sense of obeying rules whatsoever?
nagr22 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 15:44   #30665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Now tell me whom to blame? Authorities for putting up speed breakers or the drivers having absolutely no sense of obeying rules whatsoever?
The blame squarely falls on the drivers, no doubt about it. They are the cause for the speed breakers in first place. But if there is a speed breaker that has been put, then the maintenance of that is as much a responsibility as driving at the posted speed limits.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:16   #30666
BHPian

Taken from the Cyderabad (Hyderabad) Traffic Police Twitter feed. They posted a dashcam video showing a 2 wheeler drifting across the road from right to left and getting into an accident with a car. The good thing is that the police identifies the 2 wheeler as the person at fault. This is why I like Hyderabad police! Most of them are sensible and don't blame the 'bigger vehicle' by default.

Tweet snapshot and video link below.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20200315_195915.jpg  

DriverR is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 10:35   #30667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am afraid I didn't quite understand this bit.

Either vehicle turning right here is expected to indicate intention. If the biker wanted to go straight, he should have overtaken the truck from the left once he saw the truck's indicator.

If the biker intended to turn right and was run over by the truck, it is the truck driver's fault that he did not turn on his right indicator - the biker was probably expecting him to continue straight, and the truck driver never checked his mirrors/blind spot before turning.
Agree with you on all points. My view was that if the biker was turning right then he should have postponed overtaking the truck till the turn was taken and he was on straight road again. It is the truck driver's fault too but most two wheeler riders that we encounter do not take into account the turning vehicle's radius and come too close for comfort.

The truck driver is of course at fault for not indicating, turning rather rashly and not keeping an eye on following traffic.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:11   #30668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It is probably not the right thing to say, but I am rather relieved seeing that car's side profile. The car's bonnet and front has nearly managed to bear the brunt of the force and the cabin is quite intact with even the A pillar or roof not showing much damage. Incidents like this, makes one feel justified in spending a higher sum of money on these European cars. If the occupants would have shown some respect towards the seat belt, they might have lived to tell the tale.
Apparently the lady hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Of the 4 in the car, 3 lost their lives. One life was just 6/7 months old.
Old 16th March 2020, 14:21   #30669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Taken from the Cyderabad (Hyderabad) Traffic Police Twitter feed. They posted a dashcam video showing a 2 wheeler drifting across the road from right to left and getting into an accident with a car. The good thing is that the police identifies the 2 wheeler as the person at fault. This is why I like Hyderabad police! Most of them are sensible and don't blame the 'bigger vehicle' by default.
The scooter rider is fortunate that the Brezza driver, whether by instinct or intent, swerved away and braked at the same time, or it could've ended a lot worse for both parties.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 07:20   #30670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Another KTM high speed crash. Judging by the picture, KTM might not have survived. Not sure of the Omni Driver.

Attachment 1979056
Sorry if , but the Wheel Rim of the KTM just broke as if it were made of plastic. Look at the pieces of Alloy Wheel (or was it really made out of reinforced plastic?).
Are Alloy Wheels so fragile?

I am surprised to see that nobody commented on this aspect.
Old 18th March 2020, 12:26   #30671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Sorry if , but the Wheel Rim of the KTM just broke as if it were made of plastic. Look at the pieces of Alloy Wheel (or was it really made out of reinforced plastic?).

From what I know, Alloys would mostly have AL as its main component along with other brittle lighter metals (Mg and others) making the alloy overall lighter and brittle. Whereas most steel bends although at lesser pressure than alloy. for ex. Alloy if it can withstand 5ton pressure without breaking into pieces, steel can start bending at 3ton pressure.

And then I would think the weight conscious KTM Dukes would have just about required alloy content for road use and here the impact is at net velocity of at least 100kmph!? what would be the pressure sustained by the alloy at impact, clearly well beyond breaking point.
Old 20th March 2020, 12:12   #30672
BHPian

Just saw pictures of an accident involving an MG Hector and a Bus. The Pictures are really scary.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-90357471_887584648352874_9037206254207893504_o__01.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20200320120300__01.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-90106864_887584815019524_406140366731870208_o__01.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-90428630_887584768352862_6405783597013270528_o__01__01.jpg  

albertprince is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 12:30   #30673
Senior - BHPian

Sharing an accident shared already on the S-Presso official review page here as well,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4772779 (Maruti S-Presso : Official Review)

Even though the blogger says that the S-Presso was probably driving at 20-30KMPH on the curve, I do not believe it as I have seen people driving at around 50-60Km/Hr on these mountainous roads even with L-signs and also, a light car as S-Presso going so slow may not cause that much damage to the front right wheel of the Sumo if it was going slow, unless the Sumo was doing pretty high speed just next to the ditch. Just my view.

Old 20th March 2020, 15:45   #30674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

No, they are not so fragile. Do they not cope with rocks, potholes, speed bumps etc, even when driven rashly?

We cannot comment on the strength of a component unless we are aware of both its design limitations and the stresses that made it fail.

Nor is it right to make sweeping assumptions about classes of material. Some metals are soft, some are brittle. On the other hand, some plastics are literally bullet-proof!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 17:58   #30675
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
Just saw pictures of an accident involving an MG Hector and a Bus. The Pictures are really scary.
Considering the :
1. impact point on the (surprisingly low-riding) bus
2. how high the bonnet line on the MG hector is
3. the extent of damage on the A pillar and beyond on the hector, even when the front windshield of the bus is intact

I am sure that another vehicle has to be involved, which has not been captured by the camera guy.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks